Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joined the Q club a while ago (Q-S1) - Now starting to see the benefits!

I bought a Q-S1 a while ago and enjoyed using the 06 lens (it really is absolutely superb). I didn't use the Q too much as I didn't like the stock colours and I'm not really one to PP too much.

I got myself another kit with pretty much every lens and it gave me an excuse to try it again. This time I tried using 'Reversal Film' and the 'Vibrant' mode. I'm really impressed with how well images turn out with these settings.

The last bit of kit I found fairly cheap was the genuine Q-K adapter. It oozes quality and having popped my DA* 300 lens on it, I'm absolutely amazed at what the Q-S1 can do. I managed to resolve the number plate of a car that is probably a mile or two away. Mind-blowing stuff.

I've got a couple of questions if you're able to answer them.

1) There was a Pentax Q in the kit that I bought. If I was to use the DA* 300 with it, would I get a more detailed (and closer) image at lower ISOs due to the crop factor? Or does the Q-S1 beat it in terms of sensor image quality?

2) I'd really like to customise the user modes in the Q-S1 mode dial. Is there a way to do this? It works in the Q but not in the Q-S1 as far as I can see.

02-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll not find a better telephoto combination than the DA* 300 plus a Q so just try both bodies in comparable conditions. I've found environmental factors and "crop-ability" may favor one over the other depending on the situation, subject and technique. If you can compare results side-by-side it makes no difference anyway.

The Adaptall 500mm/f8 mirror lens can be awesome . . . or not . . . depending on the setup.
02-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
There was a Pentax Q in the kit that I bought. If I was to use the DA* 300 with it, would I get a more detailed (and closer) image at lower ISOs due to the crop factor?
In principle yes (at ISO 125).

I don't have the DA*300, so I can't answer your question specifically for that lens.

But my macro lenses and apochromatic telephoto lenses work well on the "crop sensor" Q.

• Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, da*, kit, lens, mirrorless, mode, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, quality