Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
"On hold" is corporate speak for "cancelled/discontinued/abandoned but we don't want to admit it or harm sales of any remaining stock".
But they were, apparently, still displaying the Q-S1 and lenses at CP+. And I haven't seen any blowout sales on lenses either.

02-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
"On hold" is corporate speak for "cancelled/discontinued/abandoned but we don't want to admit it or harm sales of any remaining stock".
Actually, my gut tells me "On hold while we study where to take the Q system" means what it says this time. I don't think it is actually discontinued - just not developing anything new at this time.

We have to take Nikon's recent experience into account.
02-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, my gut tells me "On hold while we study where to take the Q system" means what it says this time. I don't think it is actually discontinued - just not developing anything new at this time.

We have to take Nikon's recent experience into account.
I doubt Ricoh would have filled one of the displays with a discontinued product (Q-S1) at CP+.

The FUD merchants are really out in force.
02-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I doubt Ricoh would have filled one of the displays with a discontinued product (Q-S1) at CP+.

The FUD merchants are really out in force.
I get grumpy sometimes - usually with the state of marketing and historically with the shenanigans of North America - but I sense that Ricoh is quietly tightening their strategy and starting to unleash the potential of the teams. North America (though from the outside almost invisible) is actually getting much better.

As kenspo says, the future is bright!

02-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seriously, what does the Q system need? Just about any close-focussing K-mount lens essentially becomes a macro when adapted.

They already have a fisheye, a high quality wide zoom, a consumer standard zoom, a fast normal prime, and a high quality telezoom, plus three toy primes. How big does a system, which is meant to be tiny, have to be? A new body with an EVF is the only addition that jumps out at me.

If there continues to be a market, I'm sure Ricoh will continue to produce it.
02-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Seriously, what does the Q system need? Just about any close-focussing K-mount lens essentially becomes a macro when adapted (...)
I my opinion the macro lens was not the most necessary lens for Q. For example I mostly use 06 lens with Raynox DCR-250 and I do not know what else would give the genuine macro lens? Maybe it is the cause of cancelling the macro lens?

Nevertheless I think that disappearing of the promised lens from roadmap is generally bad sign for us.

I dream about megazoom lens for Q as replacement of 02 lens or at least zoom with more zoom factor than 02 lens. The zoom with the only 3x factor is not the best solution for travel photographers compared to most typical compact cameras. The cheap answer would be to adapt the 6-24 mm lens from MX-1 but the larger zoom would be more welcomed.

Last edited by bladawiec; 02-26-2017 at 04:07 PM.
02-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #37
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladawiec Quote
I my opinion the macro lens was not the most necessary lens for Q. For example I mostly use 06 lens with Raynox DCR-250 and I do not know what else would give the genuine macro lens? Maybe it is the cause of cancelling the macro lens?

Nevertheless I think that disappearing of the promised lens from roadmap is generally bad sign for us.

I dream about megazoom lens for Q as replacement of 02 lens or at least zoom with more zoom factor than 02 lens. The zoom with the only 3x factor is not the best solution for travel photographers compared to most typical compact cameras. The cheap answer would be to adapt the 6-24 mm lens from MX-1 but the larger zoom would be more welcomed.
6-24 would provide nothing new, especially since 06 lens is so good. My candidate remains a Q-mount 55-300, but I'm not convinced that any new lenses are in the works right now.
02-26-2017, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Q system needs a 45-100 ish long lens that has AF. Perhaps even a long 135mm AF prime. Prefer a new Q>PK adapter with AF. Extreme telephoto is an advantage of the Q. Ricoh needs to do more with it.

A pancake prime ( thinner than 01). Looking at my 40ltd and wondering why the Q doesn't have something similar?
Thanks
barondla

02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Q system needs....
All good points
02-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #40

Q-telezooms, PK-Q adapter with AF, small prime are great proposals but with very small impact to general Q system popularity which currently is - as I think - one of the main problems of this system which affects the further development. Because new lens requires investments, they can be actually our dreams but for very, very far Ricoh schedules.

In my opinion to grow the Q popularity (to realize in future above dreams) it would be good to make megazoom lens covering the standard lens range. With this lens the Q would be the effective competitor for typical megazoom travel cameras (for amateurs, tourists, etc.) with additional great expansion capabilities unavailable in these cameras (for advanced amateurs).
02-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q-S1 has become hard to get even in Japan now. Last week I picked up a black one new from Amazon Japan as a backup for my beloved Q7. I checked today and the black Q-S1 is now only available second-hand. There's 3 red/gunmetal new ones (body only).

There's some 1 & 2-lens kits available, but they've gone up by over 10,000 Yen in the last week for the 2-lens kit.

There might be some more coming in, who knows, but the listings on Kakaku have decreased remarkably.

If they bring out a new model I'll immediately buy it. I love my Q7 for travel.
02-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #42
Pentaxian

2017 Pentax Lens Roadmaps - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
Development of the Pentax Q line is currently on hold. The previously-planned telephoto macro has thus been removed from the roadmap. The remaining lenses as well as the Q-S1 continue to be produced, but will not be available in the US.
Update (Pt 2 of CP+ Interveiw Posted)

QuoteQuote:
13. Are there plans to continue the Q line, and if so, do you know the general design direction you will take?

There is no new product information on the Q line at the moment. We will continue to manufacture and sell Q-S1 and Q-mount lenses. We are currently focusing our resources on K-mount lenses.

(paraphrased) Although the macro for the Q has been removed from the map, it is not a terminated project. It's still pending, but no date anymore. All resources are being focused on K-mount lenses. The Q series is still an active line and the Q-S1 and lenses are still being made and marketed for Asian markets. The US market is not actively marketing the Q line as it's concentrating on pushing the K-1 and other K-mount products; essentially the Q line is "frozen" in the US market.
"...the report of my death was an exaggeration."* - Samuel Clemens

*Popularly misquoted as "The reports/rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-27-2017 at 07:32 AM.