Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting in the Sun

I use my Q7 a lot outdoors in the sunlight, and I've had to deal with two issues: glare on the LCD, and blown highlights in JPEG images. I know this has been a long-standing issue with the Q system, and I'd love to see a Q with an EVF someday. However, even EVFs aren't great in the sun -- not like an OVF. And since it seems like nothing new is coming soon in the Q catalog, maybe this is a good time to review sun tactics.

Wear a dark, solid-colored shirt. Solid black is the best. It cuts down glare on the LCD, since much of that light is reflected from your body. A wide brimmed hat can also help.

I also tried a Hoodman, and it worked very well indeed when I bothered to keep track of it and have it with me. I ended up rarely using it. I have not tried the pricey Pentax OVF accessory.

Use the ND filter. The Q likes wide apertures, and it can get into diffraction easily when it stops down. Don't sweat it if you forget, though. You might have to pixel-peep to really notice the difference.

Shoot raw and set Highlight Correction ON when you're in the sun, or just leave it on AUTO all the time. Highlight Correction not only avoids blown highlights, but I found it also keeps sky colors natural instead of going turquoise-cyan-ish. If you must shoot jpeg, avoid the high-contrast modes such as Reversal Film. Just like real reversal film, it's the worst in this situation.

With these methods I no longer have any problem with my Q7's image quality on sunny days. As for composing with the LCD. . . It's not exactly a joy, but it works OK as long as I'm able to hold the camera in a normal position in front of me. High or low angles can leave me shooting blind and wishing for an articulated LCD panel.

02-26-2017, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Good advice re clothing and wide brimmed hat.
Though I have to say, EVFs are fantastic out in the sun in my experience. Not sure what you've been looking through but my OMDs are terrific. Also, when I bought a camcoder some years ago I made sure I bought one with an EVF because I intended using it outside in sunny weather a lot at motor sport events and occasional airshows. Was great!
02-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Though I have to say, EVFs are fantastic out in the sun in my experience. Not sure what you've been looking through but my OMDs are terrific.
Olympus OM-D E-M5, Fujifilm X-T1 and Sony Alpha A7. All of them seemed weak when I took them out in the Texas summer sun. In particular, when I was comparing the Fuji X-T1 and a Pentax K-S2, the contrast between the bright, beautiful, pentaprism viewfinder and the struggling EVF was very obvious. Keep in mind too that I wear glasses, so I can't bury my eye down into the eyecup.

However. . . As soon as I started wearing a shade hat, as long as I could keep sun off my eye and off the eyepiece, then the EVF was no longer a problem. (It wasn't beautiful like the pentaprism, but it wasn't a problem.) And of course, when faced with dim lighting situations, then the EVF has all the advantages.
02-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The hoodman works good but I ended up using this "clearview" it really helps me focus using peaking and in brite light. I have left a link if you want to check the site. Expensive? well I think I have got my moneys worth. http://www.clearviewer.com/Products.html

Last edited by zippythezip; 02-26-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added link
02-26-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
The hoodman works good but I ended up using this "clearview" it really helps me focus using peaking and in brite light. I have left a link if you want to check the site. Expensive? well I think I have got my moneys worth. ClearView Product page
I want to second the Clearview endorsement. I folds up very small (mine is for the flash shoe) and is very handy to use. It is not a replacement for the kind of EVF you find in modern Sony cameras or a DSLR OVF but it makes the Q very usable in bright sun or when manual focusing.
02-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Olympus OM-D E-M5, Fujifilm X-T1 and Sony Alpha A7. All of them seemed weak when I took them out in the Texas summer sun..
Hi Tony,
Seems we have opposing experiences.
I use mine out in the Tropical North Queensland sun, I too wear glasses and have zero problems.