Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2017, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 381
Why isn't the Q (and all other Q bodies) more popular?

I've been using a Q-S1 for a couple of months now and it has really quickly become my go-to camera. My K-1 barely gets used as I can carry a Q and Q-S1 with 5 lenses in a bag that would fit just the K-1 and one extra lens.

Here's another reason why I love using the Q-S1. The crop factor makes it extremely good for planetary and lunar photography. It's an absolute stunner, especially compared to the poor chaps with expensive telescopes and DSLRs that have to stack a million shots to get the same sharpness. Huzzah!

Attached Images
 
03-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,158
I blame poor Pentax marketing, cell phones, & the "why would I want to buy a 1/1.7 sensor camera when I can get a (insert sensor size here) camera for only (insert price here) that can outperform that little camera by a long shot" syndrome.

But yeah. Very poor marketing. They didn't even try in the USA. I personally love the Q. Never got one 'cause it gets too expensive trying to run multiple camera systems for me.
03-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,723
For the USA market, Q was initially overpriced and did not compete well with EVF cameras - and Ricoh offered very little market or distribution support here. If a camera can't sell itself here it just isn't accepted. Often RIAC didn't even try, or openly rejected products. Q and K-01 fell in the latter camp and Q-S1 isn't even in the catalog (not offered in USA).
03-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,580
m43 competes very well with it other than extreme crop telephoto. If you give up f2.8 and rely on the improved ISO performance of the m43 sensor over the q sensors you can have an exceptionally small system with EVF options and a wide range of lenses.

03-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TromsÝ, Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
I use my K-5 far more then my Q because of the viewfinder and sensor size (DR and noise performance). But for extreme telephoto crop, extreme lightweight telephoto and extreme macro, the Q is better. For extreme portability, I'm sorry to say it cant beat my phone.

I hope the Q line are still alive and will be expanded with an EVF model. Stacking techniques (panorma-style or exposure stacking) could improve the noise performance and DR. As with all cameras these days, it should be better connected to the internet and sharing culture too.

Last edited by Simen1; 03-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
03-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I've been using a Q-S1 for a couple of months now and it has really quickly become my go-to camera. My K-1 barely gets used as I can carry a Q and Q-S1 with 5 lenses in a bag that would fit just the K-1 and one extra lens.

Here's another reason why I love using the Q-S1. The crop factor makes it extremely good for planetary and lunar photography. It's an absolute stunner, especially compared to the poor chaps with expensive telescopes and DSLRs that have to stack a million shots to get the same sharpness. Huzzah!
One could ask the same question about the MX-1.

I know that it is not as versatile etc. as the Q series cameras but it is still a great little camera. I have a K-50 and a nice selection of lenses but for a "grab and go" camera, the MX-1 is terrific. I find myself using it more than my K-50 and once in a while I am really amazed by the image quality.

Too bad Ricoh didn't develop this model any further.
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,580
QuoteOriginally posted by lakeshore Quote
One could ask the same question about the MX-1.

I know that it is not as versatile etc. as the Q series cameras but it is still a great little camera. I have a K-50 and a nice selection of lenses but for a "grab and go" camera, the MX-1 is terrific. I find myself using it more than my K-50 and once in a while I am really amazed by the image quality.

Too bad Ricoh didn't develop this model any further.
The MX-1 did not innovate over the Olympus XZ-2 and the XZ-2 offered a flash hotshoe as well as an EVF.
03-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,786
I never considered the Q until I got one in a trade. Now, I just love it and shoot it almost as much as my K1.

It's a great little camera that no one's heard of. The only big named reviewer that I'm aware of who's publicly said it's a great system is Adorama's Blunty
.

.


Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.
03-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,238
I think premium compacts from Fuji, Sony, and others, such as the RX100, are the biggest threats to the Q. The latter is pretty much an all-in-one solution that can do more than the Q can apart from the telephoto aspect, has wi-fi connectivity to eliminate the need for a PC, and is smaller since the lens retracts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,580
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think premium compacts from Fuji, Sony, and others, such as the RX100, are the biggest threats to the Q. The latter is pretty much an all-in-one solution that can do more than the Q can apart from the telephoto aspect, has wi-fi connectivity to eliminate the need for a PC, and is smaller since the lens retracts.
That's actually why I bought a Panasonic LX-7 for a trip to Europe. It was far smaller than the Q series in overall size. There were no lenses to change and an f/1.4 - f/2.3 24-90 equivalent view lens built in with a high quality output reputation.
03-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,112
I absolutely love my original Q, very impressive little camera!
03-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Springhill Nova Scotia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 183
I do enjoy my Q system now and then and own Q10,Q7 and Q-S1. 01,02,03,06 and 08 lenses.
But I have an Olympus E-M10 now and with its Lumix 12-32 pancake lens it takes up less room than my Q with 02 lens and has a EVF and with adapters shoots all my Pentax lenses.
I wish Pentax would have added an EVF to their mirror less cameras.
03-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 980
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For the USA market, Q was initially overpriced and did not compete well with EVF cameras - and Ricoh offered very little market or distribution support here.
I have never seen people use Q here, Tokyo either. lot of small Olympus, Sony can be seen. I think (no scientific evidence or large data correction back me up) they try to make it cute, very small for the market which is not care much about image quality and it end up bigger and less flexible than smartphone and not as cute as whatever Olympus / Sony offer in the same market.
03-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,095
Love the Q. I don't use it as much as I should but it is a great little package when I am on the move. It was way over-priced on introduction. I was not interested then. But I got my set up (original Q) later at a good price. I think the Q system is like the K-01 in that Pentax never marketed it properly. You cannot lure buyers to a new concept in a competitive market by over-pricing.
03-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,580
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I do enjoy my Q system now and then and own Q10,Q7 and Q-S1. 01,02,03,06 and 08 lenses.
But I have an Olympus E-M10 now and with its Lumix 12-32 pancake lens it takes up less room than my Q with 02 lens and has a EVF and with adapters shoots all my Pentax lenses.
I wish Pentax would have added an EVF to their mirror less cameras.
My GX-1 with the PZ 14-42 is similar. I also have the 35-100 to go with that. So small!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, cost, f/2.8, fisheye, flash, k-1, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, sensor, shots, shutter, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why isn't the Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM More Popular with Pentaxians? les3547 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 53 03-03-2016 05:47 AM
Why GoProís Success Isnít Really Isn't about the Cameras interested_observer General Photography 16 07-01-2014 05:05 PM
Why isn't Pentax more popular? elbeasto Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 50 03-26-2013 11:11 PM
why aren't 50-135 more popular? slip Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 01-07-2012 11:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top