Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

EDIT later:
Also wanted to add that the shutter speed of 03 (or for that matter anything other than 01, 02, 06, 08 and genuine PENTAX PK-Q adapter) is limited to 2 seconds on the slower side, it could be quite limiting when you want to take certain kinds of night pictures.
Hrm that's definitely something to keep in mind since I tend to go into the 15 seconds to 1 minute long exposure at times (usually stopping down to f/5.6~f/8 for it).

This was a composite of 21 frames, each at 40 seconds long at f/5.6 under moonlight on a cold windy night, which I should have stayed home on (a lot of large trees fell over on the trail that evening). The composite is large enough to print 44 inches by 49 inches at 200 dpi.

Am I correct in understanding that the flash sync of the Q10 is also severely limited when not using the lens with built in shutters?

03-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #32

The flash sync is 1/13 with lenses without shutters.

You might want to save up for the 08, it is quite wide, sharper, and sync goes up to 1/2000. Long exposures go to 30 sec.

I got my 08 for $200 used, they show up once in a while.

The 03 will focus as close as an inch, however, vs. 3 inches for the 08.

Last edited by Cipher; 03-12-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: more info
03-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
The flash sync is 1/13 with lenses without shutters.

You might want to save up for the 08, it is nearly as wide and sync goes up to 1/2000 and long exposures go to 30 sec.

I got my 08 for $200 used, they show up once in a while.
I already have the 02, 01, and 07 coming. Was thinking bout the 06 if I get another, maybe the 08 after that.

The lower flash sync is going to be difficult to do with my Tamron 90/2.8 1:1 macro in regards to studio work, least if I want to cut out an ambient light in the area.
03-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can cheat the 2 second rule when using 03 fisheye or any of the shutterless lenses. You have to shoot jpeg, and shoot in multiple exposure mode. 9 X 2 second exposures. Untick the exposure adjustment mode.

Love the 03 fisheye. It focuses so close.
Thanks
barondla

03-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
You can cheat the 2 second rule when using 03 fisheye or any of the shutterless lenses. You have to shoot jpeg, and shoot in multiple exposure mode. 9 X 2 second exposures. Untick the exposure adjustment mode.

Love the 03 fisheye. It focuses so close.
Thanks
barondla
:P Ahh, so stack up the exposure. A bit cumbersome but nice to know there's a way around it sort of.
03-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
The Manfrotto MP1 tabletop tripod is great for the Q as well. I keep it permanently on one of my Q's. The legs just fold up out of the way.
I'd never come across this until your post. Looks great! I managed to find it discounted to less than 5 inc shipping by a major UK supplier, so I've ordered one. Nothing to lose at that price

Thanks for the useful tip
03-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #37
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
barondla, why jpeg? I always shoot raw in "Continuous (LO)" (or Continuous LO with remote) drive mode with my shutterless lenses for my astro pictures.
I only have Q7, is that the limitation for Q and Q10?
03-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
barondla, why jpeg? I always shoot raw in "Continuous (LO)" (or Continuous LO with remote) drive mode with my shutterless lenses for my astro pictures.
I only have Q7, is that the limitation for Q and Q10?
Probably because multiple exposure mode (ie: not continuous, but multiple exposures onto the same single image) only works in jpeg.

The idea being, if you need 8 seconds to get a proper exposure, you could do 4x multiple exposures of 2 seconds, to help build/stack the light onto the sensor while it's in the buffer and gets saved to the jpeg. In theory anyways, I plan to test it, would be much easier just doing with the olympus I have, but the ability if I need it is nice to know if I'm just packing the Q.

03-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KWB, you are shooting multiple shots and combining them later in computer. Multi exposure mode combines them in camera. As kb244 said, that only works in jpeg on the Q. It will make a brighter exposure than 2 seconds and have far less noise.

I also shoot waterfalls using multiple exposures with exposure adjustment turned on. Gives cotton candy look without heavy nd filter.

Thanks
barondla
03-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrm, only got half my "guaranteed by 8pm" order tonight from amazon, the lens (the 07) still showing out for delivery. (The camera outfit, 01, and 02 arrive tomorrow).
03-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That kinda sucks kb244. At least you are getting most of it tomorrow.
Thanks
barondla
03-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That kinda sucks kb244. At least you are getting most of it tomorrow.
Thanks
barondla
*knock on wood*

But hey... least it means Amazon owes me shipping now.

Edit

6:10 PM Delivery attempted - Business closed
Grand Rapids, MI, US
Carrier: USPS

They LIE!, I was sitting right by the door. It's a residence and I was home all day. They already delivered one of two of the items today.

Last edited by kb244; 03-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
03-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #43
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the point of the Q (excepting macro w/ K adapter) is size--and on that count the 02 zoom makes it very large.
On the other hand the 01/03/04 are all similarly small. The 01 and 03 are excellent.

And I may be odd man out but I really like the 04 (toy wide 35mm equivalent). Actually most of my usage is w/ 03 and 04 (on a Q) as the 01 is a bit too narrow FL for me, and I prefer to have fixed focus--but 01 is a great lens--and in low light it is the obvious choice.
03-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #44
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Probably because multiple exposure mode (ie: not continuous, but multiple exposures onto the same single image) only works in jpeg.
KWB, you are shooting multiple shots and combining them later in computer. Multi exposure mode combines them in camera. As kb244 said, that only works in jpeg on the Q. It will make a brighter exposure than 2 seconds and have far less noise.
kb244 and barondla, thanks, how come that I didn't know about this until now?
It would be nice if the camera does it in RAW, and it would be great if I can choose between multiple methods like integral (what the camera does now), average (exposures are averaged so the result doesn't get brighter than the individual exposures, just lower noise, this is what I sometimes do on PC) or maybe picking the brightest of N exposers pixel-by-pixel (should be good for star-trail type photo).
03-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I think the point of the Q (excepting macro w/ K adapter) is size--and on that count the 02 zoom makes it very large.
On the other hand the 01/03/04 are all similarly small. The 01 and 03 are excellent.

And I may be odd man out but I really like the 04 (toy wide 35mm equivalent). Actually most of my usage is w/ 03 and 04 (on a Q) as the 01 is a bit too narrow FL for me, and I prefer to have fixed focus--but 01 is a great lens--and in low light it is the obvious choice.
Yea the 04 doesn't seem half bad for something like easy video usage with a very simplified focusing.

But I feel like I would get at least the 03 before I grab the 04, simply because I already got the 07 on the way, visually speaking (just a might tighter focal length). But the 04 is under $100 easily, just wish it could take filters, but least there's always the internal ND if I need to slow it down some. Speaking of which how many stop reduction is the built in ND anyways?

---------- Post added 03-13-2017 at 02:10 AM ----------

kb244 and barondla, thanks, how come that I didn't know about this until now?
It would be nice if the camera does it in RAW, and it would be great if I can choose between multiple methods like integral (what the camera does now), average (exposures are averaged so the result doesn't get brighter than the individual exposures, just lower noise, this is what I sometimes do on PC) or maybe picking the brightest of N exposers pixel-by-pixel (should be good for star-trail type photo).
My Olympus E-M5 does multiple exposures in raw mode, but I never had to use it since I'll usually either 1) set up to 60 seconds, or use LiveBulb mode on a corded shutter release to set it for however long I need it. or 2) hook up an intervalometer and take an interval of shots, either to be stacked later or turned into a timelapse like with the blue bridge video on page 1.

Stacking though is kind of an approach many people who do star trails will do, since you can set up an intervalometer, take several exposures, followed by several with the lens cap on (capturing your 4 or 5 "dark frames", hence can just turn off noise reduction speeding up each capture), then load them into free software like StarStax where all the frames are stacked upon each other, gaps filled in, and using the dark frame to remove the noise patterns generated by the exact same exposure conditions.

One of my early attempts at that with the moon behind me.

Something I would probably try with the Q, except I'm not seeing any kind of wired shutter release options.

edit :
Just read the manual, the ND filter is only usable with lens that have built in shutters. Hrm, but at least electronic shutter is available up to 1/8000 in just about every mode.

Last edited by kb244; 03-13-2017 at 03:25 AM.