Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
kb244 and barondla, thanks, how come that I didn't know about this until now?
It would be nice if the camera does it in RAW, and it would be great if I can choose betwe
en multiple methods like integral (what the camera does now), average (exposures are averaged so the result doesn't get brighter than the individual exposures, just lower noise, this is what I sometimes do on PC) or maybe picking the brightest of N exposers pixel-by-pixel (should be good for star-trail type photo).
Q does the 1st 2. I use multiple exposure for noise reduction of static subjects quite a bit. Just enable Auto EV Adjustment in menu (on page with multiple exposure) to keep the exposure constant. 9 exposures seem to give about 3 stops of noise reduction. ISO 800 is close to 100 with multiple exposure. Make sure to set noise reduction to lowest.

If you want to accumulate exposures, untick Auto EV Adjustment. Exposure brightness will increase up to 9 shots (most Q can take). Wish Q could do 2000 like the newer Pentax DSLRs.☺

Don't understand your 3rd multiple exposure method?
Thanks
barondla

03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #47
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 04 can take filters--easy DIY method. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/262091-q-04-toy-lens-wide-di...ml#post2815201
03-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Gaffer tape... the must have for every photographer.
03-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so the Q10 arrived today along with two other lens (so 01, 02, 07 in all). Just a quick shot of it next to my E-P3 (which I don't really use anymore so it's just been sitting in the drawer with the 17/2.8 which I also don't use), and E-M5, along with my native-only lens (no adapted lens in the shot) with the exception of the Panasonic GH1 and Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN-art lens used to take these pictures.

Firmware on body and 02 lens were already updated to the latest, I updated the firmware on the 01. Really small, The lens themselves feel pretty solid, the only thing that caught me off guard to my over-analytical observation was the very tiny amount of give on the rotation of the mount (ie: against the little locking pin) which is much more firm on my micro-4/3rd bodies, but course the lens appear to be stable and in place and don't seem to have an issue.

Initial impression is, that it's like a little toy, but a solidly built one.

I wish the camera came with a rear cap for the 02, and a body cap for the body, because then I'm without a cap when using an adapted lens.

Only issue I have with the little fotodiox L39/M39 to Q adapter is with my 1951 Canon Serenar 35mm f/2.8, when in the adapter, for whatever reason focusing closer to around 5ft it get stiff like the coupling got stuck on something in the adapter (which shouldn't happen because the coupling is narrower than the lens thread, and focusing closer moves the coupling forward, not back, it's all the way back when at infinity), the slightly newer Canon 50mm f/1.8 Type-6 LTM lens and Jupiter-11 135/4 doesn't have that issue, I'm guessing just the way it is tightness wise(I'll figure it out, doesn't have that issue on either my fotasy or fotodiox M4/3 adapter).

Now to just scour over the menu system and get familiar with it. Just on the general feel of the 01/02 lens I'll probably look at either the 04 toy wide, or 03 fisheye.

03-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Really small, The lens themselves feel pretty solid, the only thing that caught me off guard to my over-analytical observation was the very tiny amount of give on the rotation of the mount (ie: against the little locking pin) which is much more firm on my micro-4/3rd bodies, but course the lens appear to be stable and in place and don't seem to have an issue.
I checked all four of my Q bodies (2-Q7, 2-Q-S1) and they have have a little wiggle to the lens when it is seated. Might be engineered to prevent the lens from getting stuck if the mount was slightly bent or if some grit got in there.
03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I checked all four of my Q bodies (2-Q7, 2-Q-S1) and they have have a little wiggle to the lens when it is seated. Might be engineered to prevent the lens from getting stuck if the mount was slightly bent or if some grit got in there.
That would be my guess as well considering how small the lens are, don't exactly want to snap the buggers off.
03-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #52
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q does the 1st 2.
Hi barondla, thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Don't understand your 3rd multiple exposure method?
Maybe it doesn't make much difference with maximum of only 9 exposures, but anyway let me try:

Suppose that you're taking a night shot of your house while a star is trailing nicely in the background. If you want the star to move 15 degrees around the North (or South) pole, it takes about 1 hour from the start to finish. So you make multiple exposures. If your maximum exposure time is 30 seconds each, you need to take about 120 total exposures.

When averaging all 120 exposures, your star trail would be about a factor of 1/120 darker than the star in the individual exposure because the star doesn't overlap between different shots, but the house's brightness doesn't change because it doesn't move. That may or may not be fine, but if it's not you need to post-process.

If you integrate, your star trail is as bright as the star in the individual shot, but the house is a factor of 120 brighter. Again if you don't like it you need to post process.

Instead of averaging or integration, you could pick the brightest. For any specific pixel, you have 120 different values coming from 120 different exposures. Just pick the brightest of all 120. Do that for all pixels. Your star trail will be as bright as the star in individual shots, and the house won't be overexposed. Yet again that may or may not be fine, it's just another way of stacking.

Best,
kwb
03-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Hi barondla, thanks!
Maybe it doesn't make much difference with maximum of only 9 exposures, but anyway let me try:

Suppose that you're taking a night shot of your house while a star is trailing nicely in the background. If you want the star to move 15 degrees around the North (or South) pole, it takes about 1 hour from the start to finish. So you make multiple exposures. If your maximum exposure time is 30 seconds each, you need to take about 120 total exposures.

When averaging all 120 exposures, your star trail would be about a factor of 1/120 darker than the star in the individual exposure because the star doesn't overlap between different shots, but the house's brightness doesn't change because it doesn't move. That may or may not be fine, but if it's not you need to post-process.

If you integrate, your star trail is as bright as the star in the individual shot, but the house is a factor of 120 brighter. Again if you don't like it you need to post process.

Instead of averaging or integration, you could pick the brightest. For any specific pixel, you have 120 different values coming from 120 different exposures. Just pick the brightest of all 120. Do that for all pixels. Your star trail will be as bright as the star in individual shots, and the house won't be overexposed. Yet again that may or may not be fine, it's just another way of stacking.

Best,
kwb
In cases of star trails, you're better off doing the time-lapse mode, and pulling all the shots into something like star stax which will stack, align, and give you several options for doing the trail (such as comet mode). In that sense you can take a single 'control' exposure of the foreground scene to control any over brightened landscape.

Multiple exposure mode wouldn't be too sufficient for that, where as intervalometer/timelapse mode is better suited since you won't have to time it or touch the camera at all between exposures. But you would still have to look at something like ISO 800-1600 depending on the light pollution in your area since if the exposure isn't enough just to get the star to show up as a single dot it's not going to work.