Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite hand straps are from the Nintendo Wii Wiimotes. Light weight and strong.
Thanks
barondla

03-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
My favorite hand straps are from the Nintendo Wii Wiimotes. Light weight and strong.
Thanks
barondla
Yet so many broken TVs...

I got a PK to Q adapter coming from Fotodiox (was cheaper than all the options including their own brand being sold on ebay), as well as a Fotodiox Adaptall adapter used coming from ebay after the offer was accepted (since I can go straight to the base of the lens on my Tamron 90/2.8 that way, like I usually do on my Olympus, I only go 90/2.8 -> PK -> PK-to-MFT when I'm using the tilt adapter on the Oly).

Seems like there would be available a full on tilt-shift adapter for the Q seeing as how small the sensor is versus the lens coverage, but that usually requires a tripod setup to do correctly and I don't image Q owners are typically doing that.

Last edited by kb244; 03-11-2017 at 06:51 PM.
03-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Wasabi is a brand I got with my second used E-M5 Olympus...They work very well, and hold quite a bit of charge compared to the original model of battery. What makes them different from most of the other OEMs is that the battery cells are manufactured in Japan and are rated at the same voltage as the original Olympus battery ensuring that they charge fully and correctly in an original Olympus charger. The other OEM batteries are a lower voltage (like 7.2 vs 7.4) and would only charge fully in an matching lower voltage charge, as such said charger wouldn't correctly measure an original battery, vice versa. etc.
I'm glad someone has had good results with Wasabi. I went through three for my E-PL5 and they were all at 70% of rated capacity and nowhere near their exaggerated printed rating. One swelled up and failed after 11 months. The cells may be called "made in Japan" but they matched Chinese cells in capacity.
Also, ALL lithium rechargeable batteries are rated at 3.6 volts per cell or 7.2 volts per pack. Maximum full charge is 4.2 volts per cell and 8.4 volts per pack. Anything else is just manufacturer talk and means nothing. Any charger will charge ALL batteries to the same voltage - the correct safe voltage being no more than 4.2 volts per cell. Some may push them to 4.35 volts per cell, which shortens cycle lifetime.

Can you tell that my day job involves working with batteries?
03-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought 3 Wasabi batteries for the Q. They had a little less capacity than Pentax batteries. Worked fine for 3 years. Recently 1 expanded and was difficult to remove from the Q battery compartment. Then I checked the others and another was swollen. The remaining one is fine, but being monitored. Never had a Pentax or Olympus battery swell.
Thanks
barondla

03-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by n3eg Quote
I'm glad someone has had good results with Wasabi. I went through three for my E-PL5 and they were all at 70% of rated capacity and nowhere near their exaggerated printed rating. One swelled up and failed after 11 months. The cells may be called "made in Japan" but they matched Chinese cells in capacity.
Also, ALL lithium rechargeable batteries are rated at 3.6 volts per cell or 7.2 volts per pack. Maximum full charge is 4.2 volts per cell and 8.4 volts per pack. Anything else is just manufacturer talk and means nothing. Any charger will charge ALL batteries to the same voltage - the correct safe voltage being no more than 4.2 volts per cell. Some may push them to 4.35 volts per cell, which shortens cycle lifetime.

Can you tell that my day job involves working with batteries?
Counterfeits maybe? (Or I'm very lucky with both of them).

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bought 3 Wasabi batteries for the Q. They had a little less capacity than Pentax batteries. Worked fine for 3 years. Recently 1 expanded and was difficult to remove from the Q battery compartment. Then I checked the others and another was swollen. The remaining one is fine, but being monitored. Never had a Pentax or Olympus battery swell.
Thanks
barondla
Neither of the two wasabis I have had swelled, the only one I've had swell (significantly) was the newegg flashpoint brand I got for my older E-P3, and some of the others simply didn't hold as much a charge. For my E-M5 I carry 4 batteries, the 2 wasabi 7.6v 1300mAh 9.9Wh batteries and two of my older Olympus 7.6v 1220mAh 9.3Wh , both of which I charge in my original olympus charger that came with the E-M5. I usually make it thru a full day of shooting just as the second wasabi battery shows the 50% warning on the camera. I primarily shoot in manual mode with the LCD screen on (I rarely ever use the EVF).

Last edited by kb244; 03-11-2017 at 08:13 PM.
03-11-2017, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 01 is great, the sharpest native lens in the Q lineup. I can't imagine using the Q system without it.
It makes the Q much more pocketable than the 02. If you get it then get the great third-party JJC lens hood for it.

The Manfrotto MP1 tabletop tripod is great for the Q as well. I keep it permanently on one of my Q's. The legs just fold up out of the way.

03-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
The 01 is great, the sharpest native lens in the Q lineup. I can't imagine using the Q system without it.
It makes the Q much more pocketable than the 02. If you get it then get the great third-party JJC lens hood for it.

The Manfrotto MP1 tabletop tripod is great for the Q as well. I keep it permanently on one of my Q's. The legs just fold up out of the way.

It's coming with a JJC hood. :P That was included in the listing.

That Manfrotto looks nice, very low profile, very compact looking. Looks like it's under $20 too, I might just get that for the Q, and maybe to pack into my Rode Stereo Video Mic bag since that could make a good table top holder for the mic as small as it is.

03-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Incidentally, the Fujifilm NP-50 battery is the same thing, fully interchangeable with the Q. It's used in the Fujifilm REAL 3D W3 and the XF1, among others. I find the W3 in particular makes a nifty adjunct to the Q.
03-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Incidentally, the Fujifilm NP-50 battery is the same thing, fully interchangeable with the Q. It's used in the Fujifilm REAL 3D W3 and the XF1, among others. I find the W3 in particular makes a nifty adjunct to the Q.
I was never a fan of Fuji cameras, but this was back when xD cards were still a thing.
03-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's your opinion on the 03 Fisheye lens?

For super wide (well super-wide ish depending on your idea of wide) I usually use an Olympus 9mm f/8.

Think the 03 Fisheye would be comparable?
03-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not quite..the OLy is BANG 4 $$$$...the 03 is fine though,I own both.
03-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Not quite..the OLy is BANG 4 $$$$...the 03 is fine though,I own both.
Yea I Don't use the Oly much, but for it's size it's always in my bag as a just in case, since I use my Olympus 12mm f/2.0 much more often for wide-ish usage. The 03 for under $100 seemed like it could be "fun" especially for video. Shame can't be filtered, but then neither could the Oly 9/8.
03-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #28
Unregistered User

I've got the 03 and have used it a lot, a great thing to have in the bottom of your bag–for its size and price it can't be beat. Since I got the 08 I don't use it as much, the 08 is almost as wide and much more versatile.
03-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Samyang 8.5mm (if I recall right) fisheye for my E-M5 and loved it to death. Fantastic lens.

The 03 isn't that. It is, however, cheap and tiny and weighs nearly nothing, and there's not much reason not to have it.
03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
For super wide (well super-wide ish depending on your idea of wide) I usually use an Olympus 9mm f/8.

Think the 03 Fisheye would be comparable?
Q 03 is somewhat lacking in the sharpness department, and your picture looks pretty sharp. But I like 03.

Below is one of my 03 shots. I'm using Q7 so it's wider 15mm equivalent (and I cropped the bottom of the frame out on this one), but it would be 18mm for Q and Q10.

ROAD CLOSED by k kwb, on Flickr

EDIT later:
Also wanted to add that the shutter speed of 03 (or for that matter anything other than 01, 02, 06, 08 and genuine PENTAX PK-Q adapter) is limited to 2 seconds on the slower side, it could be quite limiting when you want to take certain kinds of night pictures.

Last edited by kwb; 03-12-2017 at 02:11 PM.