Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Initial shots with the Q10 [1080p Image Heavy]

So did some snaps with the Q10 earlier today while at campus, I received it yesterday but I didn't really do anything photo worthy, mostly going over all the settings getting familiar with the menu/etc.

Also earlier today, I wore both my Pentax MX + Pentax-M 50/1.4 with Kodak P3200 loaded (expired 2004, from a couple bricks of 40 rolls that has some aging, after testing three rolls, I can now get good near-original results shooting at 1600 and developing with Microphen 1:1), and the Pentax Q10 + 01 Prime with the neck strap attached. The Q10's neckstrap just slightly shorter so it sits right on top of the MX's hot shoe. Or what I call "Mama Pentax, Baby Pentax".

Main thing I didn't care for was I noticed when I switched to one of the Smart Filters (via the 1,2,3,4 dial on front), such as Bold Monochrome, even though I had Raw+Jpeg set, it only saved a jpeg copy. I'm used to where my Olympus, even with a heavy art filter enabled, would save both if I set it for both, the raw copy just wouldn't get the filter applied, but it would still be saved so I can edit it later, not the case with the Pentax.

These are in chronological order:

On the ride out, since it was bright, I did a couple snaps with the 07 Shield lens, kind of nifty/funky and what not, but not something I would care to keep on the camera, especially since the fixed focusing distance is around 3 or 4 feet where its sharp-ish. But I can see some situations where it may come in handy for a few fun ideas.

got into campus, up the stairs and saw some shapes I thought might look nice in the "Bold Monochrome" mode I checked out earlier.

and then down to the classroom, and shot where I came in from with the Photo 102 work on the right side (their 'selfie' project), and not even visible on the left side are the advanced digital prints I printed out for the class (for this semester I'm in PO230 Advanced Digital Imaging, and PO126 Film Processing [which is combined with 4x5 view camera]).

A little after the Adv.Img class I headed over to the visual arts office since I needed to go ahead and print off one of the students huge composite image of a geode (course upon opening the 2GB file, I shrieked at all the sensor dust he had, like a friggin sandstorm, repeated over 30 composited frames... the healing brush did not like me, and I did like like him for not cleaning his sensor lol).

Then the film processing class started, did some quick prints, and then when 6:30PM hit all of us in the class walked about 3 blocks over to WMCAT (West Michigan Center for Art and Technology) where they had a art exhibit going on.

Also one of my own prints was in the exhibit, the one on the left, an HDR shot with my Olympus E-M5 ( Can be seen online here : Freight Tracks during Snowstorm by KBeezie on DeviantArt )

A quick shot of my film professor on the way back to campus.

Another on the way back, passing the Grand Rapids Library on the right hand side.

After that class, I went back to the office and printed off another print, this time one of my own at 42 inches by 46 inches on to some self-adhesive paper (you peel off the back and affix it to the wall), the geode one underneath being on Epson premium luster printed at 44 inches by 88 inches.

When I finished, I went and took a quick cell phone selfie showing the two cameras worn, then locked down the classrooms and darkroom and headed out shortly before 10PM

The shirt has a Big Wheel on it, saying "That's how I roll."

Last edited by kb244; 03-14-2017 at 10:37 PM.
03-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[about the quick dial] The Q (anyway the original Q) reverts to jpg only if the front quick dial is inadvertently moved from its off position. If you set all the quick dial options to aspect ratio of 3:2 this will not happen.
03-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
[about the quick dial] The Q (anyway the original Q) reverts to jpg only if the front quick dial is inadvertently moved from its off position. If you set all the quick dial options to aspect ratio of 3:2 this will not happen.
It seems at least, when I rotate the quick dial back to off position it goes back to the Raw+Jpeg option, just kind of wish it could retain that, even if the raw is unaltered by the filter.

Smart Filter, and Digital filter option for Quick Dial will use Jpeg Only.
Custom Image (ie: Natural, Monochrome, Vibrant, etc) and aspect ratio allows for Raw+Jpeg.

So I guess for the purpose of appearance I do have Custom Image option for previewing or wanting jpeg as one of those color effects, at least if I want to use a smart filter I can apply it in-camera since the Q10 seems pretty extensive in regards to after shot editing, especially layering filters upon another. I wonder if I shoot Raw+Jpeg if it only does edits using the Jpeg copy as the source.
03-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, when you turn it off--but my problem/hence my caution is it had gotten bumped on w/o my knowing it (which can happen fairly easily)--and all the shots I took were JPG only, instead of the intended RAW.

03-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Yes, when you turn it off--but my problem/hence my caution is it had gotten bumped on w/o my knowing it (which can happen fairly easily)--and all the shots I took were JPG only, instead of the intended RAW.
:P Seems like you would notice the stark color change flipping into one of the QD modes (I guess all the more reason to make #1 something obvious).
03-15-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Entertaining photo series, kb244. Always fun to see a day in the life. You photograph a lot of different subjects

Have you considered mounting the Q10 on top of the film Pentax? There are tripod screw to coldshoe adapters. Q7 could ride along as a little external light meter/ preview rig.
Thanks
barondla
03-15-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Entertaining photo series, kb244. Always fun to see a day in the life. You photograph a lot of different subjects

Have you considered mounting the Q10 on top of the film Pentax? There are tripod screw to coldshoe adapters. Q7 could ride along as a little external light meter/ preview rig.
Thanks
barondla
Yea I have a few of those adapters for the audio/video riggings (ie: converting mics to tripod shoes etc). Though not sure what the practical purpose would be since it would be kind of hard to operate the Q10 with the weight pulling down on it.

03-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try not to have too much fun with the Q, OK? We are all supposed to be serious sturm und drang photographers, right?
03-18-2017, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got my adaptall to Q adapter today to use with my Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro.

Course what kills it for me is that the Q10 will not trigger an external flash when using adapted lens (ie: no electronic contact to tell the camera there's a lens), can use the on-board flash but that's no good for 1:1 Macro work. So left with either continuous lighting or....

Using the on-board flash as an optical trigger (Which is still limited to 1/13th and below when using a non-shuttered lens like 01/02/06/08, but can make it work), basically means can get it going with a tripod set up where the ambient light will be well below -3EV when at 1/10th at whatever aperture/ISO is being used. Just not ast practical for handheld use when mixing ambient light and flash.

Though the onboard flash I noticed, when set to just "on" seems to have a sort of pre-flash (I guess to get a measure of exposure/focus before the actual flash), so initially my external flash was firing a bit too soon, so under "Servo" menu (it's a touch screen flash), I went up to the trigger, and selected learn, and took a picture and then it learned the new flash pattern to be triggered.

Some 'meh' test shots :

1:1 Lifesize (0.96 feet or 0.29 meters), though I have to remember once I hit f/5.6, diffraction really starts to take a toll on the IQ.

1:2 Lifesize (about 1.15 feet or 0.355 meters)

Since I know the flash sync for on-board and the lens is up to 1/2,000th I got to thinking, if the official Pentax Adapter can do up to 1/1,000 because it's a leaf shutter... are the shutters inside the 01/02/06/08 lens leaf shutters too ? (since Leaf shutters sync at all speeds). So I took two shots at 1/2,000 @ f/3.2 , ISO 100 with the 01 Standard Prime, one with the on-board flash on with -2 on the Flash Compensation (lowest I can set its output),

and then one with the same settings, but this time with my Metz 64AF-1 flash bouncing off the ceiling being triggered by the onboard flash.

Seems sure enough the shuttered lens do behave like a leaf shutter without having any black-outs from the higher shutter speed like focal plane shutters do.