03-22-2017, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1

PentaxQ wth m42 smc takumar 35 f:2

Some examples as 196mm f:2

Attached Images

03-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks terrific. Sharp lens. Consider posting examples to the tested adapted lens thread at the top of this page.
Thanks for sharing
barondla
03-24-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think it's amazing how much resolution some of these old lenses had.
03-24-2017, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Equally amazing is how quickly the emotional, aesthetic, artistic, WOW-factor of a photographic image has taken second place to the technical critique / analysis of a digitized computer file.

Many, if not most, of my favorite shots from half a century's efforts are ones where I wish I'd taken more time to tweak the technical process or lens selection - perfectly-imperfect images nonetheless. Many fell prey to a less than 'perfect' M42 lens as well.

[ Hmm, would a digitally scanned, analog film negative become the hermaphrodite gender of modern photography? ]

03-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Equally amazing is how quickly the emotional, aesthetic, artistic, WOW-factor of a photographic image has taken second place to the technical critique / analysis of a digitized computer file.

Many, if not most, of my favorite shots from half a century's efforts are ones where I wish I'd taken more time to tweak the technical process or lens selection - perfectly-imperfect images nonetheless. Many fell prey to a less than 'perfect' M42 lens as well.

[ Hmm, would a digitally scanned, analog film negative become the hermaphrodite gender of modern photography? ]
I am well into a project of scanning over forty years of film, mostly Kodachrome. My personal experience is that even Kodachrome had less sharpness than even the cheapest digital cameras have today. The people who examine a shot today with a microscope, who are addicted to needle sharpness, would be disappointed with almost anything from the film era, no matter how much it was tweaked.
03-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

Many, if not most, of my favorite shots from half a century's efforts are ones where I wish I'd taken more time to tweak the technical process or lens selection
As I scan my forty-year's worth of film, my most common regret is in composition. Today I can easily take half-an-hour to compose a picture, but as I look at old ones, I will sometimes think something like "I'll bet this would have been a much better picture if I'd taken a few steps to the left".