Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I don't understand why there isn't any reasonably priced LCD viewfinder that you could attach to the flash shoe and connect to the HDMI port of the camera. The only ones I see are designed for video shooting, are rather bulky because they are based on 3.5" LCD screens and are also very expensive.

I would like something like the accessory LCD viewfinders that complement the mirrorless cameras lacking a built-in EVF (like the olympus vf-2 for example) but with a standard flash shoe mount and a HDMI connector. Maybe someone has successfully hacked one of these?
Answering my own post here.

I just checked and there is no HDMI live view on the Q (all models up to Q-S1). As soon as you connect an HDMI cable to the camera, it switches to Play mode and there is no way to switch it back to Picture Taking or Video mode without unplugging the HDMI connector. So, it's a bummer and we're stuck with the 3" rear LCD.

Cheers!

Abbazz

10-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #17

V3 size magnet-mount loupe hood sounds familiar, but the one I selected is only close in size...slightly obstructs battery or memory card access on Q7, so always fussing with it, knocking it off, etc. Eventually I dropped it one time too many and it cracked. That was a half-price-sale w/free shipping purchased item online US$2.50 so I could afford to replace it at 2x cost.

I periodically replace the adhesive on the steel mounting plate because it collects a lot of...everything. Bit of a hassle.

Awkward with a tripod, which I need (should use) most of the time due to permanent vertigo.

Hood lets me focus, but if I don't have fast enough shutter speed I induce my owncamera movement. Windy macros have their own special effects that are beyond the capability of LCD focus OR tripod!

Don't ask...too long and off topic a story.
10-08-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murrayatuptown Quote
V3 size magnet-mount loupe hood sounds familiar, but the one I selected is only close in size...slightly obstructs battery or memory card access on Q7, so always fussing with it, knocking it off, etc. Eventually I dropped it one time too many and it cracked. That was a half-price-sale w/free shipping purchased item online US$2.50 so I could afford to replace it at 2x cost.

I periodically replace the adhesive on the steel mounting plate because it collects a lot of...everything. Bit of a hassle.

Awkward with a tripod, which I need (should use) most of the time due to permanent vertigo.
QuoteOriginally posted by murrayatuptown Quote

Hood lets me focus, but if I don't have fast enough shutter speed I induce my owncamera movement. Windy macros have their own special effects that are beyond the capability of LCD focus OR tripod!
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have two loupes - one that I got from Amazon attaches to the tripod attachment at the bottom.
It can be adjusted in two dimensions, but the Q-7 settings at the bottom of the screen are not visible.
I removed the screw from a device which had a longer screw, and then added some spacers so that I can see the entire screen.
Now, I have figured out the shot before I ever raise the camera to my eye, but I need to frame what I have, and this is fine for that.
Attached Images