Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using a Hoodman type device with a Q?

Just wondering what these things are like. I've pretty much determined the Q is really hard to use if the sun is behind you, and I'm looking for some ease of use type options.

04-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm - member @reh321 uses one, I believe, but primarily for long focal length work with K-mount zooms. Still, I remember his loupe setup looks pretty effective...

I may also consider a loupe for the Q & Q7, as I recently got one for manual focusing with the K-3 and makes a huge difference. The limited resolution of the Q's screen is likely to make things a little less precise, but the loupe should still help.
04-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some stuff in the Q-DIY thread.

Hole's to see if I turned the camera off when the hood's closed.

Works well, carries OK.

04-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

I've got a Swivi (about $100) which works pretty well, but is bulky and needs to be attached to the tripod socket. I also got a cheapo "LCD-V3" hood from flea market (about $5) which is not adjustable but is much lighter and easier to use—I attached it to a bar that simply slides into the hotshoe for quick use. I find I that I don't use them much for general use, but they work great with my 300mm mirror lens.

04-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Norm - member @reh321 uses one, I believe, but primarily for long focal length work with K-mount zooms. Still, I remember his loupe setup looks pretty effective...

I may also consider a loupe for the Q & Q7, as I recently got one for manual focusing with the K-3 and makes a huge difference. The limited resolution of the Q's screen is likely to make things a little less precise, but the loupe should still help.
I just want to be able to see. I actually did the old school thing and put a blanket over my head when I did this shot. It was the only way I could see.

I'm planning to use it with the DA* 60-250 while birding. The same lens used above. At 60mm on the Q I can find the bird , then zoom out to 250mm for over 1000mm of FF reach. But I don't need it for Q lenses. So it will have to come off and on reasonably quickly, and often.

And of course will have to attach, you need one had for the shutter and one hand for manual focus.
04-30-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just wondering what these things are like. I've pretty much determined the Q is really hard to use if the sun is behind you, and I'm looking for some ease of use type options.
Others here tried to convince me that there were simple solutions, such as a baseball cap, to this issue, but because of other experiences with LCD screens outdoors, I had to figure this out before I was willing to purchase a "Q".
I currently have two of them

(1) Hoodman has a collapsible device that is held in place by friction
Hoodman Compact HoodLoupe Optical Viewfinder for 3.2" CH32
This one is a part of my regular Q-7 kit, along with the 01, 02, and 06 lenses

(2) I have another one that attaches to the tripod mount
{the loupe is adjustable, but I still had to put a spacer between the loupe and the camera}
amazon.com : Xit XTLCDMVL Professional Locking LCD Viewfinder with 3.4X Magnification (Black) : Camera And Camcorder Viewfinders : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
This one is a part of my birding kit, along with my Sigma 70-300 K-mount lens and adapter.

Last edited by reh321; 04-30-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add photo
04-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a post on the site that shall not be named about the "LCD Viewfinder V5" for Nikon J1. A slight modification with a round file will allow the mounting bracket to move to the left and clear the buttons...Cost is about $7...I've noticed that some of these hoods have brackets that attach with an adhesive instead of a tripod socket...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-30-2017 at 10:21 AM.
04-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my Q, Q7 and K-01 I use the 'friction' Hoodman Loupe @reh321 described above. It's really designed for reviewing images on the LCD by merely holding it against the camera back and scrolling the images. It comes with a lanyard and quick release for that purpose.

However, Hoodman makes an elastic bungee designed for video that will quickly wrap around the front of the camera, making the Loupe a quickly removable, yet fixed when you want it fixed addition. Using the Loupe bungeed to the camera works well in bright sun for hand held or tripod use..

04-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this.
It came with a strap (well, just some cord or something) to wear around your neck, but I removed it and replaced with two short bungee loops.
One loop is somewhat shorter so the loupe stays on the LCD, not aligned horizontally with the lens. It stays there OK, not an ideal solution but it works and makes a huge difference.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HTC 10  Photo 
05-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The cheap (A$5) eBay loupes work well.I've tried the Sony(for nx mini) and Canon( Pentax Q/Sammy NX/Panasonic GM1).I use the tripod mount model.
05-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Zeikos (not sure if these are made anymore) that was designed to magnetically attach to your screen. This is an Amazon page with information on it but there are none available right now. amazon.com : Zeikos ZE-LCDVW DSLR Magnifying Viewfinder : Camera And Camcorder Viewfinders : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A metal frame is attached with tape to your camera and intended to stay there. The Zeikos hood loupe then attached magnetically to that frame. There have been reports that the metal frame does not stay attached to your display screen very well but, since I don't use it, I can't comment.

I think I still have the metal frame around here somewhere but I never used it. I just hold the hood loupe in place with my fingers. Mine works great and I love it. For birding and other telephoto work it is invaluable. It magnifies the screen and produces a very bright image so manual focusing is very easy to do. Of course it also completely blocks out any light coming from behind you so you can always see the screen.

Now for the downside. If I am packing my little camera bag with all my Q stuff I always have my hood loupe. If I don't have the bag with me...guess what? I don't have the hood loupe either. The Q is so portable that I frequently carry it without my bag so I often have to make do by somehow shading the display screen. The Zeikos hood loupe comes with a nice bag with a belt loupe on it so I should be able to remember it, but I seldom do.

In conclusion, I have it about one third of the time, and even then I don't work with it unless I just can't seem to get anything view-able on the display screen.

BTW, I use mine far more frequently when I am shooting large format. It is perfect for checking critical focus on the ground glass.
05-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input.
05-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't understand why there isn't any reasonably priced LCD viewfinder that you could attach to the flash shoe and connect to the HDMI port of the camera. The only ones I see are designed for video shooting, are rather bulky because they are based on 3.5" LCD screens and are also very expensive.

I would like something like the accessory LCD viewfinders that complement the mirrorless cameras lacking a built-in EVF (like the olympus vf-2 for example) but with a standard flash shoe mount and a HDMI connector. Maybe someone has successfully hacked one of these?

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use this one from Amazon for about $8.00 but I had to open the tripod screw hole into a small slot in the mounting frame, about a 5min job, easy. this allows the hood to center to the Q7 lcd screen. Works great. Many people here have used this hood, search for LCD-V5

https://www.amazon.com/SUPON-LCD-V5-2-8X-Magnifier-Viewfinder/dp/B00UWXKD0M/...words=lcd+hood
05-07-2017, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Some stuff in the Q-DIY thread.

Hole's to see if I turned the camera off when the hood's closed.

Works well, carries OK.
Thanks for the pics! I've often thought that this type of hood would work well with a mirrorless camera.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just want to be able to see. I actually did the old school thing and put a blanket over my head when I did this shot. It was the only way I could see.
My mom just finished making a focusing cloth for me out of old t-shirts I bought at Goodwill. Prior to this, I was using an old hoodie to shield the screen when I was shooting video with my K-01.