Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 03:59 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q7 visits the UK: Manchester, Edinburgh, and points between including Hadrian's Wall

My wife and I recently returned from a week and a half in northern England and southern Scotland, the impetus (excuse?) for the trip being to visit our son who is finishing a study-abroad semester at Lancaster University.

I decided to go compact, packing just the Q7 with an 01/02/03 lens kit plus a couple of point and shoot Fujifilms. The Fujis have definite roles -- a W3 for synchronous stereo shooting, and an F770EXR for its GPS and longer zoom, but neither of them touches the Q7 for versatility or image quality. Below are some of the Pentax shots. The whole album, including a number of cross-eye 3D pairs, is here.

Enjoyment from the trip, both photographically and generally, surpassed my expectations. At no point did I wish I'd brought a DSLR. The Q7 and lenses fit comfortably in a fanny pack. It was all quite freeing.

For anyone wondering, although we used the Manchester airport and spent some time in the city, we missed the terror drama by a few days, and learned about it while staying in Edinburgh.

Manchester Town Hall. 02 @ 5mm

fiddleheads at Lyme Park. 01, a bit overexposed I think

Toys at Lyme House ("Pemberley"). 01, blur control medium setting

this blessed plot, this earth. 02 @ 5mm, shot from a moving train somewhere between Carlisle and Hexham

Housesteads Roman Fort ruins. 03, blend of bracketed exposures

old and new. 02 @ 5mm. High in background is a section of Hadrian's Wall from the early second century; in the foreground are "modern" agricultural stone walls that have probably been maintained in about the same state since the 1800s.

hiking along Hadrian's Wall. 02 @ 15mm

Carlisle rail station. 02 @ 11.3mm

Devil's Advocate pub, old town Edinburgh. 03, shot from the dining loft

bus on Shandwick Place, Edinburgh. 01, ND filter, little flexipod

Last edited by Sluggo; 01-31-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed a broken image link
05-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice series. If the Q had better battery life it would almost be an ideal travel cam.
05-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice. I love that I've spent so much time in the UK, that these wonderful pictures are like being back.
Some of those pics on Hadrian's Wall - well - I have stood in those exact places.
05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fabulous.
You're making me question the wisdom of taking the K-1 to Italy....

05-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great series!
The Q is a really good camera for travels.
05-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very Nice!

Goes to show that its more the photographer than any camera.
05-31-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

beautiful shots! I spent two weeks in Europe a few years back, and since I was packing light myself, I only took my original Q, the 01, and a 13mm Wollensak d-mount lens for moody shots. I wish I'd had a wide and a tele with me (if such primes existed, toy lenses not withstanding), but in general the Q did the job quite nicely.

06-01-2017, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I love that I've spent so much time in the UK, that these wonderful pictures are like being back.
Some of those pics on Hadrian's Wall - well - I have stood in those exact places.
Oh yeah, that day hiking along the Wall was definitely the high point of the trip for me. We chose that section to the west of Housesteads because of a local telling us it was probably the most "iconic" - she didn't mention it also includes the big sycamore tree that was used in Costner's Robin Hood movie.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You're making me question the wisdom of taking the K-1 to Italy....
Well, to make the same trip with a K-1 and a few well chosen FF lenses would have been pretty special too!

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
If the Q had better battery life it would almost be an ideal travel cam.
And if my grandmother had wheels ...

Getting acquainted with the Q7 I've come to appreciate most of the tradeoffs that were chosen in its design, including the supposedly under-specified battery. Honestly, I had no power issues on the trip. Of course it helped some that the Fuji and Q batteries are interchangeable, so having a couple of spares tucked in a pocket covered everything; and despite ending up with over a thousand pictures, there was never a night where more than one depleted battery needed to charge while we slept.
06-15-2017, 10:20 PM - 3 Likes   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
nice series. If the Q had better battery life it would almost be an ideal travel cam.
I never understand people who moan about the Q's battery life. I've always gotten at least a full days use out of one, even when traveling with the Q as my only camera. Not to mention the batteries are so inexpensive, and so so so small, I've always got at least two fully charged ready if needed! Love my Q for travel (my Nikon does not)! ;/
08-22-2017, 04:16 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
My wife and I recently returned from a week and a half in northern England and southern Scotland, the impetus (excuse?) for the trip being to visit our son who is finishing a study-abroad semester at Lancaster University.

I decided to go compact, packing just the Q7 with an 01/02/03 lens kit plus a couple of point and shoot Fujifilms. The Fujis have definite roles -- a W3 for synchronous stereo shooting, and an F770EXR for its GPS and longer zoom, but neither of them touches the Q7 for versatility or image quality. Below are some of the Pentax shots. The whole album, including a number of cross-eye 3D pairs, is here.

Enjoyment from the trip, both photographically and generally, surpassed my expectations. At no point did I wish I'd brought a DSLR. The Q7 and lenses fit comfortably in a fanny pack. It was all quite freeing.

For anyone wondering, although we used the Manchester airport and spent some time in the city, we missed the terror drama by a few days, and learned about it while staying in Edinburgh.

Manchester Town Hall. 02 @ 5mm

fiddleheads at Lyme Park. 01, a bit overexposed I think

Toys at Lyme House ("Pemberley"). 01, blur control medium setting

this blessed plot, this earth. 02 @ 5mm, shot from a moving train somewhere between Carlisle and Hexham

Housesteads Roman Fort ruins. 03, blend of bracketed exposures

old and new. 02 @ 5mm. High in background is a section of Hadrian's Wall from the early second century; in the foreground are "modern" agricultural stone walls that have probably been maintained in about the same state since the 1800s.

hiking along Hadrian's Wall. 02 @ 15mm

Carlisle rail station. 02 @ 11.3mm

Devil's Advocate pub, old town Edinburgh. 03, shot from the dining loft

bus on Shandwick Place, Edinburgh. 01, ND filter, little flexipod
Beautiful journey through Scottish lands ....
I loved the last picture with the bus in motion .. great