Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New 04 (Toy-wide) lens - any tips?

I must be crazy but I just invested in my first native -Q lens for my genuine Q. Well, invested is a joke as it was like 40 USD shipped from Japan. Anyway in a few days I should have my new toy. I saw the thread with how-to attach filters/shade to 04A/toy-wide which is fine as I have some spare silver 30,5 filters... I also tried to print some files from the tests and they seem well acceptable at A3 even from jpeg's, so I suspect no problem with quality when using raw files and custom correction file/settings for RawTherapee.

But if you have any tips connected to this, usually neglected, lens - please post them here.

06-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently bought a used-but-mint copy of this same lens to use on my Q7 (haven't tried it on my Q yet). My current thoughts are that it's best-suited to close-up photography. Distance subjects tend to be not so sharp, presumably due to diffraction as well as lens design... although I'm not unhappy with results. Overall, I think it's a fun little lens - and for close-up work, I think it's very good indeed
06-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume it was my post about the (DIY) taped on 30.5 mm filter ring.

My usual lens on the Q is the #4 toy wide, or the #3 (the fish eye). The Q w/ either of these (or the #1), and an optical finder, actually fits in my shirt breast pocket and the results are quite nice. With both the #3 and #4 I have it focused to (taped in place) the 2nd major mark--and there it is fine for reasonably close to infinity. I easily print about 8'x11" with the #4 lens, and if I only could have one lens for the Q, it would be the #4.

BTW although the #2 is a fine lens--w/ a good FOV range and fast--but it is the only one (of the 1,2,3,4) I don't use--since (for me) the Q is all about size and ability to carry it in a jacket or shirt pocket, or in my book bag.
06-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I assume it was my post about the (DIY) taped on 30.5 mm filter ring.

My usual lens on the Q is the #4 toy wide, or the #3 (the fish eye). The Q w/ either of these (or the #1), and an optical finder, actually fits in my shirt breast pocket and the results are quite nice. With both the #3 and #4 I have it focused to (taped in place) the 2nd major mark--and there it is fine for reasonably close to infinity. I easily print about 8'x11" with the #4 lens, and if I only could have one lens for the Q, it would be the #4.

BTW although the #2 is a fine lens--w/ a good FOV range and fast--but it is the only one (of the 1,2,3,4) I don't use--since (for me) the Q is all about size and ability to carry it in a jacket or shirt pocket, or in my book bag.
Yes, exactly - thank you for posting this on the 30,5 filters/filter ring - I have 3 spare silver 30,5 filters, as it was cheaper to buy 5 of them instead of one

What do you mean by "2nd major mark" - second one from right?

Thank you very much for both replies!

06-07-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
What do you mean by "2nd major mark" - second one from right?
Looking down on the lens, from the normal shooting position, as follow:
-- 04 lens, the 2nd mark, moving left to right
-- 03 lens (I misspoke) it is on the first smaller mark, moving left to right

I found it is rather sensitive (too much so) to the mark/position. I simply took successive photo's at slight difference in lens setting and then refined the setting and repeated it (of a mid-distance scene, about 7 feet away as I recall). I imagine there may be manufacturing tolerance associated variation between similar lenses. (Although my second 04 lens was in proper focus at the same 2nd mark, as my first.)

When done I taped the lens to fix the position--which is convenient (I would say needed), unless significant usage is in close (few feet or less) distances.**
_____
** Using DOFMaster Calculator and the original Q, hyperfocal distance is about 4 feet for the 04 lens (and about 1.5 feet for the 03 lens)--although my usage (oddly!) suggest these are too optimistic.

Last edited by dms; 06-07-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added hyperfocal distances.
06-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you! On my new lens focusing ring/focus scale seems to work exactly the same. But what is the purpose od the whole scale right from the second mark? Anyway my first impressions are rather positive.