Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
06 and 01 lens focusing problem (or is it my Q7?)

For a few months now, I've been annoyed by an intermittent auto/manual focus problem with 06 lens, and recently I had a similar problem using 01.

As for 06, for a while it works, and suddenly it doesn't autofocus as if in manual focus mode, even when it's bright and the subject has plenty of contrast. The lens doesn't even hunt when I half-press the shutter. Switch the camera off and on and the symptom is gone. I haven't figured out under what condition this happens.

For 01, the focus ring got stiffer, not super stiff and I still can turn it without problem but it's stiffer than it used to. On top of that I had two instances of auto focus problem similar to 06. It stopped auto-focusing (the lens stopped hunting). It was getting dark, I started manual focus but it didn't work either, I turned the focus ring both ways and no change in the image on the LCD screen, switched the camera off and on and the manual focus worked again as well as the auto focus.

It could also be the camera though my 02 and 08 lens are working fine at the moment. I hope that they will survive...

07-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The first thing that comes to mind is dirty contacts. Since other lenses work, try cleaning the contacts on the lenses.
07-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bummer kwb. I agree with twihelm about cleaning the contacts. Especially on the Q body. It is worth a shot.

I remember when the original Q came out with the 01. There were reports of the focus ring becoming stiff. I had the same problem. Most of these cases solved themselves with use. It is like something shifts in the lens making it stiff. After a while the part usually resets and the lens works like new. You can probably search this forum for more info.

Thanks,
barondla

Enter the Point & Shoot Contest #115 in Compact Camera forum. Any brand camera is allowed. Cell phones can also be used. Join us.
07-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

I had the 06 focusing fail completely. It had some ring issues previously. Nothing I tried would bring it back. Out of warranty, it would be cheaper to buy a new one, and get a warranty. I've had the 01 mis-focus on low contrast subjects, but that didn’t seem to be related to a physical or electronic problem. I've never had a problem with the 02 and 08.

07-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
kwb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you guys, I cleaned the contacts of 06 and the camera in the past but it didn't change anything, I'll try again.
Cipher, that's a bummer, I really hope that my 06 and 01 come back to full life.
07-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Today my 06 lost AF.

At the beginning of the day AF worked from time to time but sometimes the loud engine noise was heard. Now it does not work completely. Focus ring also does not work.

I have cleaned the contacts but without effect. AF in my 02 lens still works.

Maybe AF motor in 06 died or it has too high friction resistance (?).

Is there any service manual for Q lens?
07-09-2017, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

My 06 stopped focussing a few years ago. I found a new one on eBay and started using that one. A month after, out of curiosity, I tried the old one and it worked again. It has been fine since. But you probably can't generalise these things.
07-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

I had similar problems with 06 and 08. Both changed under warranty.
06 Focusing Problem - PentaxForums.com
08 focusing problem - PentaxForums.com

It seems Pentax has some troubles. But it seems Q is dead...