Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Perfect Camera/Lens For EBAY Product Photos

I'm always selling stuff on Ebay, here on the Pentax Forums, and on other websites.

Over the years I've used MANY different types of cameras and lenses for taking my Ebay product photos.

Lately I've settled in to using my Pentax Q7 camera with the outstanding 01 standard prime lens for my product photos. This is the best setup I've ever used! Fast and accurate auto-focus, sharp, good close focusing, great depth of field, terrific jpg's right out of camera, and of course super lightweight!

What set up do you use for your website product photo shots?

07-12-2017, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the need arises: Fuji XE-2
07-12-2017, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Same as you, but with the 02 zoom! The Q works very well for these and 12MP is more than enough for this. I usually use my bath as a "whitebox" with a flash, wireless trigger and umbrella on top. It's way much easier sitting in the bath taking pictures with the Q7 than it is with a DSLR!
07-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What set up do you use for your website product photo shots?
It depends on the perspective I'm after.
For a longer perspective, I often use a DA 40 XS with the Pentax K-to-Q adapter.
This is a really compact setup.
It's shorter than the 06 zoom, and focuses much closer.

07-12-2017, 11:56 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use my K-30, usually with the Sigma 85mm 1.4, and I shoot in RAW. I used to use the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, usually at the long end, but when it died I switched to my 85mm instead. The 85mm works great most of the time, and is insanely sharp, but I will occasionally miss the close-focusing abilities of the 28-75mm.

When my wife is taking pictures of the antique dolls that she sells on eBay, I let her use my Panasonic GX-7 set for JPEG's, with the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 lens, which can also focus very close. The GX-7 has an EVF, but for my wife, as a non-photographer, the LCD touch screen of the GX-7 is much easier to use for focusing and composing.

Here's some pictures of my typical setup:

And here's what the image looks like (click for the full-size picture):

And I'll sometimes use a Yongnuo speedlight on the background with a color filter, like so:

07-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use two cameras...a Q with an 01 lens and the Fuji x30
if flash is required, I just use the onboard unit

I found a foldio on clearance and use it to control ambient lighting and support backdrops

my output is usually used in print...so far no complaints about 12MP
07-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

K3 and DA 35mm macro or A 50mm f/2.8 macro.

07-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Overly posing or doing too much fancying up just leads to more "item not as described" returns. People appreciate WYSIWYG. I'd never do something like Edgar does for used/vintage items. I'd only consider it if I was manufacturing new items that were going out flawless. My sales rates have gone way up and return rates down since I've been using my simplified approach.
I see what you're saying, but I've never actually ran into that situation that I can recall. I think my photos do a good job of showing the item in detail.

Even if my lighting is not completely flat, the pictures still show way more detail than the average listing where the seller used a cell phone camera in less-than-ideal lighting. If the item I'm selling has any significant flaws or defects, then I will be sure to point those out and include a photo highlighting the flaw. Afterall, nobody wins when the buyer is unhappy, and as a seller it is not fun dealing with unhappy buyers. I have over 500 feedbacks as a seller, 77 of them in the last 12 months, and I'm at 100% positive, so I'm not inclined to ugly-up my photos!

Maybe I do "facny up" the pictures a bit, but I can't help myself since I really enjoy product photography. And I feel like my buyers have a greater appreciation for the item when they see it presented in such a pleasing way. Maybe that's some wishful thinking on my part, but they usually seem very happy in their feedback, anyway.

Here's a couple Pentax listings that I made recently and I think they do a good job of showing the condition, while still looking sexy. The K1000/50mm already sold, and positive feedback was left, but the 80-200mm is still listed. And when I'm selling a vintage K-mount lens, I'll even stick the lens on my DSLR to provide a sample shot (That 80-200mm really surprised me with its sharpness BTW!)

Click on any of the images for a high-res version:

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
07-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #9

I use the Q with the 02 because the files are small and the quality is good enough. For anything macro (coins or whatever), I use a DSLR and one of my macro lenses, oftentimes the Sigma 70mm EX DG f/2.8 Macro. I bought a cheap pop-up light cube off eBay and light it with two or three speed lights, usually with no other modifications. Again, it is good enough, looking far superior to the average listing. Anything collectible seems to receive more offers when the photos look professional and the buyers can see all the details.

Last edited by quant2325; 07-13-2017 at 02:08 AM.
07-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

I'm currently using an Oly E-M1 and the M.Zuiko 30mm macro, however, a friend has borrowed my Q +01 to catalog his comic book collection, so yes, that is a good set up as well.
07-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Until recently, I was using my K100D, usually with my Sigma 28-80 macro zoom but I sold that camera on eBay earlier this year. Now, I use either my K-30 or Samsung GX-20 with that same Sigma lens. I had been photographing stuff on my back deck on pleasant days but now I've gotten a collapsible light box with a couple of halogen lights so I can do it indoors and have better control of the photographic environment. I've kind of given myself the summer off from selling, which I really shouldn't have done, and I need to get back into it. I've been selling my dad's 50-year collection of electric trains and model cars and there's an absolutely overwhelming amount of it.