Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, is the Q still supported?

Is this a viable platform moving forward? Will there be new lenses and new bodies to buy? I've got two original Q cameras with the 01 prime and 02 zoom, as well as the fisheye. I'd like like to have a newer body, with the larger sensor and wider FOV... but I'm a little hesitant. The original Q was fun, but the IQ is so much less than that of my K-01 (or K30), especially in low light, that I find myself rarely taking the Q with me anywhere. My assumption is that the bodies will get better and better... but if the Q is finished, I'm not sure I want to keep investing. Thoughts?

Charles.

07-24-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Unless you live in Japan, it pretty much looks like Ricoh is not doing much for it. It's still on the Japanese website, but nothing in the works for now. It looks to be a Japan only item for now. You can still find some lenses & some Q-S1 bodies at a few online retailers in the USA, but most supplies are running out. The Q7 & Q-S1 do a bit better in low light IQ being kind of usable up to ISO 3200, but in reality, ISO 800 seems to be more like the max limit.
07-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although a larger sensor would have been ideal (think m4/3 here) I don't believe that's what they were aiming for. From my understanding the QS1, with a slightly larger sensor than the Q or Q10 reached slightly beyond the maximum area of most of the current lenses. Which limits future R&D regarding sensor size (unless they wish to make the current lens line up obsolete.
I would like to see them continue the system myself ( I just purchased a Q10). But after 4 bodies I believe they realized the niche market there is for the system. Worldwide I just don't see them making the sales / profits that justify pouring money into what is realistically just a point and shoot with a nice set of lenses.
07-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it looks like the Q has become more of a 'curiosity' piece. I have an original Q and debated purchasing a Q7, but the fact that it is seemingly abandoned, has made me re-think doing so.

07-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Remains to be seen, I guess. They've definitely withdrawn it from international markets for now, but who knows about the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I would absolutely love if they re-booted the Q line and introduced an EVF (biult-in or optional via an intelligent hot-shoe type connector). They could be holding back on a new EVF Q as it could cannibalize Ricoh GRIII sales, however.
07-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
They could be holding back on a new EVF Q as it could cannibalize Ricoh GRIII sales, however.
A vaporware camera holding back sales of a vaporware camera! Amazing!

07-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A vaporware camera holding back sales of a vaporware camera! Amazing!
Ooops. I meant GRII not III, although I could see a high-end Q (with EVF) potentially cannibalizing sales form the GR line. This possibility could be a valid reason for Ricoh potentially not investing in refreshing or upscaling the Q line. They may have made the decision that the GR line will be their pocketable/compact camera line and devote resources in that area as opposed to investing in the Q.

Companies frequently make decisions re: products very early on. I'm sure future products/direction are killed-off in support of other future products/direction all the time, so yeah vaporware can kill-off vaporware.

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.
07-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so, what's the latest and greatest Q body? With the larger sensor? I might just pick one up (and eventually the 06 zoom), if the prices are right.

Charles.
07-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I would absolutely love if they re-booted the Q line and introduced an EVF (biult-in or optional via an intelligent hot-shoe type connector). They could be holding back on a new EVF Q as it could cannibalize Ricoh GRIII sales, however.
If not with an EVF, at least a much improved easy to see in the sun LCD screen.

But yeah. Who know's what Ricoh plans on doing with the Q system. I'd also like to see it continue with an updated 1/1.7" sensor & better image processing.

---------- Post added 07-24-17 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
so, what's the latest and greatest Q body? With the larger sensor? I might just pick one up (and eventually the 06 zoom), if the prices are right.

Charles.
The Q-S1 is the latest model. The Q7 is slightly older. They are virtually the same thing IQ wise, but with the Q-S1 having AF for video. The majority seem to still prefer the Q7.
07-24-2017, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
that I find myself rarely taking the Q with me anywhere. My assumption is that the bodies will get better and better... but if the Q is finished, I'm not sure I want to keep investing. Thoughts?
It seems the Q is no longer an investment. You can buy more Q lenses or accessories. But I would be surprised if Pentax releases another Q camera. It seems finished, but maybe years later when tiny sensors get better and better a Q reboot might make sense.
So you can buy Q if you like the lineup as it is now. IF you want them to release a new lens or new camera, its probably better to buy a K-01 or K-S1 and compact lenses for that system. Some K mount gear is pretty compact, I carry my K-01 and a couple primes (DA 21mm, DA 40mm XS,..) pretty much anywhere. Its not a weight concert for me. I checked out smaller systems like m43, but they are usually not a whole lot smaller (many mirrorless lenses are quite chunky; so you lose space overall) and they are not any more affordable. Dual system is not cheap, either.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+Q&c2=...c3=Pentax+Q-S1

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-24-2017 at 11:16 AM.
07-24-2017, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
It seems the Q is no longer an investment.
Well, no camera system is a positive investment. If a system works for you and the price is right then why not go for it. The Q system is very affordable right now, particularly used. Even if Ricoh announced tomorrow no further development, ever, the value does not become zero overnight.
07-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't know why people say the Q is dead. Mine still powers on, focuses, and captures images. That's not dead to me.

Ricoh offers all the lenses 90% of the population would need. From the wide angle 08 to the standard zoom 02 and the telephoto 06. There's your 12 - 200mm zoom range. We have a "normal" prime for street photography and walk around photography and a fisheye to play with. The toy lenses and cap lens can be discarded. Remember, the sensor is small so you're not going to get shallow depth of field. Fast lenses would be minimal benefit. Just use the zooms wide open.

I could see an improved 02 lens and I could see a macro or close focusing lens being the only types missing.

I think the real anchor here is the lack of a new 1/1.7" sensor on the market that could offer better performance. Pentax gambled on 1/1.7" and kind of lost. Had they picked 1" then we'd be seeing Q bodies every 18 months that lag the Sony RX100 series by one generation.
07-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Even if Ricoh announced tomorrow no further development, ever, the value does not become zero overnight.
True, but it still plays a role. I think I was clear in my post that the current Q system still exists, its as good as it ever was. I just think if someone only wants to get into that system because they hope an updated body or new lens will come out, its probably not going to come to fruition

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.
07-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the start the Q series needs at least a 1" sensor to compete with the likes of the Sony RX100.