Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time Lapse - AEL?

Shooting a morning sunrise scene with interval shooting on my Q7. . . Apparently it only sets the exposure automatically for the first shot, then locks it there for the entire sequence. I understand why this would be desirable most of the time, but it really was bad for the sunrise, as everything pretty soon became blown out! Is there any kind of setting where I can change this behavior and get it to adapt (even partially) as the light level changes?

08-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't want Auto exposure for sunrise / set. It will result in exposure flicker. You are better off to make manual exposure adjustments between frames as the condition changes.
08-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
You don't want Auto exposure for sunrise / set. It will result in exposure flicker. You are better off to make manual exposure adjustments between frames as the condition changes.
That's not possible in the situation I'm looking at. I will be busy and not able to babysit the camera while it's shooting the sequence.

I found that my Sony A7 does actually have this feature, it's called exposure tracking, with low, medium and high settings to specify how quickly it can alter the exposure. However, I was hoping to have my Q7 on the tripod and the A7 in my hand during this event.
08-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

if exposure is more important to you , why not just use a handheld ir remote and click each time while you handhold the sony? or have a timer alarm on your phone set for set times to remind you to click?

08-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think a standalone intervalometer is the solution here, but the ones I know of are all of the wired type, and the Q series only does infrared.

Any chance a smart phone can be securely mounted someplace to transmit to the IR port? Because this might be worth experimenting with.