Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Q construction

I live in a universe where handling any camera equipment before I buy is not really an option (unless I want to try an online rental.) I've read offhanded comments that the original Q is very high quality/solid construction. How would you rate the camera? Are the later models (Q10, Q7, Q-S1) the same, better, worse? What are the weak points in the construction of any of them? How do the lenses fare?

08-23-2017, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I live in a universe where handling any camera equipment before I buy is not really an option (unless I want to try an online rental.) I've read offhanded comments that the original Q is very high quality/solid construction. How would you rate the camera? Are the later models (Q10, Q7, Q-S1) the same, better, worse? What are the weak points in the construction of any of them? How do the lenses fare?
The original Q has a magnesium alloy body, while its successors were made of plastic. The Q-S1 sported an elegant appearance but the metal body did not make a return. None of the cameras feel flimsy, so I prefer the later two models as they deliver better image quality and faster focusing/performance. The only model I'd avoid is the Q10, since you get the worst of both worlds (plastic build without enhanced image quality).

Given the light weight of the Q cameras, my opinion is that the metal body isn't as important as on a DSLR, since impact damage would be minimal in comparison. Still, it would be nice if all of the Q models could have the same premium build.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Greetings,

I believe you can find the information under the Camera Section, then click on Camera Reviews. The same for lenses. Hope this helps.

TT

Calabria. )
08-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feed back. I'm tempted to snag one cheap just to abuse, but the larger sensor of the Q7/Q-S1 means the lenses are effectively wider angle which is more my thing than telephoto.

08-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found it quite agreeable to give up a 'smidgen' of build difference for the noticeably better practical IQ of the Q7.

Also consider the likely advantage you'll have with the smaller 'crop factor' which allows wider effective focal lengths for all lenses. That alone may eliminate, or at least delay, your urge to acquire the (excellent) 08 WA lens.

The better IQ of the Q7 also allows more cropping to regain most of the effect of longer FL lenses.
08-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The original Mag Q feels real nice. The build quality is excellent. Weighty and solid.
The plastic Q-S1 is nice, but it just doesn't feel as solid as the original. The doors feel flimsier for example, and the controls are not quite as tactile. That said, the Q-S1 delivers better image quality and it is a little bigger which may be preferable for some people.

Don't get me wrong, the plastic Q are built just fine. They are just not quite up to the build of the arguably overbuilt Mag Q.
08-23-2017, 10:36 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I own the Q and the Q7 and use them interchangeably.

If I spent a lot of time exhaustively evaluating both cameras the Q may be just a smidgen better built. Since I don't, they feel the same to me when I am using them.

Likewise, if I spent a lot of time pixel peeping the images that come from both cameras I may discover that the Q7 provides a smidgen better image quality. But I rarely pixel peep anything, and we are talking about miniature cameras with miniature sensors.

I am far more interested in the fact that either camera will produce stunningly beautiful prints using a form factor that makes most DSLR cameras look like monsters.

I am pretty sure you will enjoy whichever Q you decide to buy. After all, they are the best miniature photography system available anywhere. Perhaps even the best camera system available irregardless of size.

EDIT - To clarify, "smidgen" is the scientific term for just about anything that is just barely more than the other, but very difficult to measure accurately.

08-24-2017, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Unregistered User

I have (and use regularly) two Q7s and two Q-S1s. The Q-S1 has AF video (on the 01, 02 and 08 lenses) that the Q7 doesn't have, other wise they are about the same. The big difference, however, is that the Q7 is more ergonomic. It has smoother edges and the mode knob is designed better. The Q-S1 has a IR port that is particularly uncomfortable, although if you put a couple of O rings around it it helps. As far as durability goes, one of my Q-S1s fell out of a bag onto an asphalt road when I was bicycling and although the SD door did lose a chip (fixed with JB Weld) it still works fine two years later. The light weight plastic is pretty tough, I doubt any other non-ruggedized camera could have done the same.
08-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Along with its relatives (in order of size) "a hair," "a scooch," "a tad," and "kinda."
Not to mention the 'RCH'.
08-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only model I'd avoid is the Q10
The RED one is FAST!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
either camera will produce stunningly beautiful prints using a form factor that makes most DSLR cameras look like monsters.
YES!...the best teleconverter available.

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 11:20 AM ----------

in a universe where handling any camera equipment before I buy is not really an option (unless I want to try an online rental.) I've read offhanded comments that the original Q is very high quality/solid construction. How would you rate the camera? Are the later models (Q10, Q7, Q-S1) the same, better, worse? What are the weak points in the construction of any of them? How do the lenses fare?
The Q7, is my pick....same body as Q10 but the better sensor....the QS1 doesnt feel good in hand and the only added feature over Q7 is AF video.The video is ordinary anyway so i dont use it.

Lenses are great(dont own the 8 but it gets rave reviews)...123 and 6 are very good.
08-24-2017, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have two original Q, one Q7 and two Q-S1.

As far as I know, Pentax started to design an interchangeable lens mirrorless system in 2009-2010. At that time, other manufacturers competing to release a mirrorless camera opted for larger sensors (M4/3 for Olympus / Panasonic and APS/C for Sony), but Pentax chose to use a backside-illuminated 1/1.7" sensor (this was before the K-01). Unfortunately, at the time Pentax was ready to launch its Q model, Sony had not yet released the backside-illuminated 1/1.7" sensor and the only backlit sensor available that could fit inside the Q body was the smaller 1/2.33",

Pentax then had two options: either wait until the release of the larger 1/1.7" sensor, or market immediately a somewhat crippled camera with the smaller sensor. Because the newly released M4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic, as well as the Sony Nex 3 and Nex 5 were making quite a hit on the market at that time, Pentax felt it had to move swiftly in order to grab a share of the new market. So it decided to go with the smaller 1/2.33" sensor. The Q was not a big success outside of Japan because of its initial price tag ($800), and also because its smaller sensor made it less competitive with regard to other mirrorless cameras (at least in the eyes of the professional reviewers).

The Q (or Q10) are not bad cameras in any way -in fact they are very good at certain tasks, like super-macro or super-telephoto shots- but they are not very attractive as a general purpose system, mainly because the few high quality native lenses available were designed with the larger sensor in mind. On the Q / Q10, the 02 standard zoom is a 28-83mm eq. lens, while on the Q7 / Q-S1 it's a 24-70mm eq, which many people will find a more attractive focal range. Same for the 01 standard prime, which is a 48mm eq. on the Q / Q10, while it's a more useful 39mm eq, on the Q7 / Q-S1.

As for the build quality, the original Q feels sturdier indeed with its nice magnesium body cover but the other models have a nice finish as well. They don't feel like cheap point-and-shoots at all and, as far as I can tell, seem quite durable.

So for me, the larger sensor is more useful and my favorite of the lot is the Q-S1. I think it feels more responsive and more polished than the previous models. Maybe it's only because it's the newest model after all, but I think there are also a few details that have been improved on the Q-S1. Like for example the capacity to retain the date and time with the battery out: on the previous models, I have to input the date and time every time I take out the battery for more than a few seconds, while the Q-S1 retains the date and time even when I take out the battery, charge it on the external charger and put it back inside the camera after a few hours.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 08-24-2017 at 10:05 PM.
08-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Q & Q7 interchangeably. When carrying both cameras and using their native lenses the #02 goes on the Q7 and the #06 goes on the Q. This gives the widest range.

Both bodies are used with the Pentax DA* 300. They are similar to using 1.5 and 2X teleconverters. I used the body to pick the magnification. This is helpful since the 300 isn't a zoom.

One day I will pick up a Q10 and Q-S1 body.

All the Q are durable. Jump in and have some fun.
Thanks
barondla
08-30-2017, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery

Welcome to Q
I can tell you that I've been with the Q-S1 in red color for more than a year .. and I'm delighted with the quality of the camera and I have not detected any errors in the plastics. For me it is a color that enhances when you put the adapter with old 35mm lenses, being also almost € 200 cheaper than black ... !!!
regards
08-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have been avoiding it but it appears that I should consider picking up a Q-S1 body based on comments made here. I'll have to do a bit of shopping around to see what i available out there.
08-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pioneer, why have you been avoiding it? What makes you think a Q-S1 needs to be added to the stable?
Thanks
barondla