Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any adaptable lenses make the Q truly pocketable?

I'm looking at getting the Q7 and 08 lens, which would cover certain shooting situations I'm often in very adequately. The one thing I don't understand, though, is why Pentax would make a tiny system camera like this without also releasing a respectable pancake lens?

It's a tiny camera. Being able to slip it into a pants pocket and forget about it (like I do with my old Ricoh GX100) would be one of its best attributes, and easily realized with a simple pancake prime, but it seems the most compact native lens with decent image quality is the 01 prime, which protrudes a bit much for pants pockets. The body cap lens looks fun, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

So based on all that, are there any adaptable lenses (whether CCTV or whatever else) of decent optical quality that are thinner, adapter and all, than the 01 prime is when mounted on a Q? I've attempted searching and done quite a bit of browsing and haven't found anything specifically discussing compactness of adapted third-party lenses.

Thanks!

09-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 1 lens is about as thinnish you can go...an adapter+ pancake wont get it thinner.

An alternative is a Panasonic GM1 with either of the F8 body caps.In good light they do OK.But then you only have the crop factor of 2x.

Just get garments with bigger pockets!
09-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Even a C mount lens would stick out farther than the 01, and even farther with any kind of lens hood. The D mount lenses usually don't cover very well, the Yvar 13mm lenses are probably the smallest and they stick out as far as the 01.

I usually use a wrist strap but I have been looking at getting a couple of these.

Last edited by Cipher; 09-19-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: mre info
09-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue as I see it is that the Q mount registration distance of 9.2 mm is less than any other system (including D mount which is next smallest at 12.29mm). So you will always have a lens plus adapter thickness in anything that is not native Q mount. Such a combination is not likely to give you less length than the 01. The 07 Mount Shield lens is the thinnest you will get and a bit quirky (I don't have one so I can't give you a first hand opinion).

Alternatively,
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
the 01 prime, which protrudes a bit much for pants pockets
could lead to "Is that a Q7 with an 01 prime in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" could be a new take on an old movie line.

09-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pancake lens might not be possible on the Q due to the leaf shutter. That has to take up extra depth in the lens. Also the Q has even less registration distance than it appears. The moving dust shield gobbles up a lot of it.

Thanks
barondla
09-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take my Q7 with 01 lens but to make it smaller use the official Pentax lens hood. I find my Oly EM10 with a pancake lens like 12-32 just as small as the Q camera but on the heavy side.
09-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see, that all makes sense. Looks like pocket-bulges are the way it'll have to be.

4/3 with a pancake sounds nice, but that 08 zoom is really the entire point for me, and the Oly 9-18 just doesn't have the same appeal.
09-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently use the pinhole lens cap but that really doesn't qualify as a lens as most think of one. But it is certainly pocketable at that point.

09-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A collapsable mount (by Pentax) like on the Rollei 35S may be possible/would have been nice, but as it is the Pentax 01, 03, and 04 are the smallest, and that is why I have them (lens on camera body fits in men's sports jacket pocket).
11-09-2017, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

This is small (a M12 lens xD)