Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lensbaby copy built for Q?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone seen or used this Lensbaby copy built for Pentax Q.
TILT FAST MACRO CUSTOM MADE CREATIVE LENS F/2 53mm FOR PENTAX Q LENSBABY TYPE | eBay

Thanks,
barondla

10-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve seen it.
10-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M39 adapter to Q is part of the adaptation. Looks like a neat bit but the focal length on the Q seems a bit long for what that is normally used for...
10-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Silly question; what is the advantage/purpose of a tilt lens?

10-19-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Silly question; what is the advantage/purpose of a tilt lens?
There are other reasons but for this specific type of lens: Explaining Tilt-Shift Lenses and the Lensbaby Composer Pro ? Jake Hicks Photography

But the crop factor implications make this a very long telephoto which doesn't really seem the right target for this use.
10-19-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

<<- You can 'straighten' architectural lines. That can be done in digital post processing today which wasn't possible on film. >>
Oops, disregard this function - that's for a shift lens.

- The plane of focus is 'normally' parallel to the sensor. A tilt lens allows you to 'tilt' the plane of focus. That effect can be seen in the images in the link.

Last edited by pacerr; 10-19-2017 at 03:00 PM.
10-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought one of these a year or so ago. It is clearly homemade. It could be used in the same way as some Lensbaby lenses, but I found it hard to locate the focal plane on the q (I would not try to use it as any sort of t/s lens). Mine has lived somewhere in the bottom of a drawer after the first week.

10-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This looks interesting and is a homemade version of the Lensbaby concept.
I use the Lensbaby setup extensively, probably more than my beloved Pentax glass. It is a very creative tool.
Depending on the optic, you can select your point of focus - be it a specific spot, linear plane or other effect.
The tilt does change the plane of focus but doesn't provide the shift of a true T/S lens.
Plus, they are fully manual and it takes some time with focus and aperture to create the effect you want.
As UncleVanya mentioned, the 53mm seems a bit extreme for the Q size sensor.
Lensbaby makes their optics interchangeable in several focal lengths. Most are based on FF 35mm sensors.
I use them on both the K1 & K01 though some effect is lost by certain optics on the APS sensor.
This might be the case for the Q as well. Perhaps CarlG would know if the optic itself can be changed out.
If so & you can attach a wider focal length, it might be fun to experiment with.
10-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
Perhaps CarlG would know if the optic itself can be changed out.
Mine is built around an older fixed lens, no way of replacing the optics. It is not a Lensbaby.
10-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens has built in apertures. That is cool. It also appears to use a ball to bend. This is more like the Lensbaby Composer than earlier Lensbabies.

What does this lens offer that a Lensbaby doesn't? The focal length is very long at 53mm. A Lensbaby Composer with double glass optic would give 50mm. Could even use the Sweet 35 optic for less magnification and have built in apertures. A generic Q to PK adapter would match this lense's capabilities. The Pentax oem adapter with shutter would do things this knockoff can't. Of course a LB Composer with Sweet 35 optic and Pentax oem adapter don't come cheap. Definetly not for $55.

Used the LB Composer/Pentax oem adapter on the Q a few times. The Q crops so much it only uses the sharp sweet spot of the LB. So it looses the blurry "movement" effect one gets on an APSc or ff body. Hard to do a lot creatively with the Q and a LB.

An 8mm LB like lens built for the Q would be more interesting. This knockoff also mentions macro. How much magnification is this lens capable of?

Thanks,
barondla
10-19-2017, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I could see of the pictures in the listing it looked to be a standard FF lens adapted.
I'd think this would have the same effect you found with the LB on the Q, the sensor only picks up the sweet spot and looses the rest.
Also I'd guess the macro mode is a combination of the crop & the extension of the tube so hard to say what magnification you would come up with but imagine it would be pretty close focusing.

The sample photos, if made from the product, do look interesting.
As CarlG mentioned this looks like a fixed lens and not an optic swap system but then again, being home made some adaptation might not be that difficult where you could fit in a 24 or wider lens.
For $55 I'd flip a coin or you might look into creating your own system with k mount adapters and flex tube.
10-24-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #12

Hello

I use a G3-100mm for 6x7 and a G3-50mm for the K1.
For the use on K1 the focal length of the 67 is too long and the sweet spot too big - same situation is the G3-50mm on a Crop-Pentax.

A 53mm on the Q will be much worst - It is on of the sensless Q-adaptations....like the 35mm-6x7-Fisheye