Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2017, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I thought it would be useful for somone to make polarized glasses with adjustable polarization. They might look funny, but in some conditions they could block sunlight and glare but allow LCD light through. They would darken things so maybe they wouldnt work, but I'd be curious if they did. I guess i could try by holding a polarizing filter to my eye.
LCDs are polarized and if they are opposite the polarization of your sunglasses you will completely black out the screen. I think the screen is OK with my polarized sunglasses when in landscape but if I rotate to portrait orientation I can't see the screen at all.

An OLED display would not have this issue.

Shawn

12-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
LCDs are polarized and if they are opposite the polarization of your sunglasses you will completely black out the screen. I think the screen is OK with my polarized sunglasses when in landscape but if I rotate to portrait orientation I can't see the screen at all.

An OLED display would not have this issue.

Shawn
Right, but the question is if the polarization of the LCD is 90 decrees from the reflections of sunlight on the LCD. In other words, can you block the reflections without blocking most of the LCD light? Also, it seems polarized sunglasses have additional tinting beyond the polarization which I wouldn't want.

I have a Nikon AW1 without a viewfinder. I love it for its size and its ruggedness. But in the New Mexico sun, with the LCD brightness turned up to full, I can only see a vague shadow of the image on the LCD, but I can't do any critical composition, so it ends up behaving more link a point and shoot. I have this problem with every LCD based camera I've used, including iPhones.
12-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
However while I can understand the reasoning behind the compact kit I'm too much of a Barnack fan to go for it myself which is why I want to use the Q in more or less the same way one would have used the original Leica, light and portable for a quick shot. Probably doesn't make sense but that's the way I was looking at it.
After thinking about these words, I have to admit that this isn't me. I have always been a deliberate photographer, thinking about various options when I can. Photographing a dynamic situation has never been my strong suit. I did take pictures at the Madrigal dinner we attended last Saturday, but this is the fifth year we've attended, so I know from the first couple of years what to expect when, and my pictures are better each year because each year I go out there looking for particular thing. For example, in looking through four years of pictures, I see that I've never got a good picture of the toast, so assuming we go next year, I'll be thinking ahead to the toast.
12-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I highly recommend this product:
ClearView Product page

12-21-2017, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I highly recommend this product:
ClearView Product page
I also use this viewer but beware I was carrying my Q7 with view lens attached with lcd facing up and the sun focused through the viewer lens and burned the LCD right in the center of the screen. see below

Can't be fixed without replacing the LCD