Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The OP's P&S can do just fine.
Does it have the bokeh of a Q?

10-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Does it have the bokeh of a Q?
Why do you care now ? You said in your post above that it's not important...
10-31-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Why do you care now ? You said in your post above that it's not important...
No, I did not. Please do not misquote me.

But here is what you wrote:
The huge DOF of the Q is rather a big issue for a beginner. It doesn't allow one to learn how to control depth of field nor to experiment much with it. Which is a big problem since it's a basic knowledge every photographer must know very well. Not even talking about the many photography styles relying on limited DOF to make their effect, which are simply out of the realm of what can be achieve with a small sensor camera.
And that is what does not match with my own experience of the Q system.
10-31-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
And that is what does not match with my own experience of the Q system.
Agree, the Q is enjoyable because making it do what you want is both challenging and attainable.

11-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryC Quote
I will consider buying the Q7 if I can find a good deal (Around $230-$250 for a used model, with lens)...
Just a quick followup. Surveying prices on ebay and amazon, it looks to me like all the Q models are more expensive on the used market than they were a year or two ago. It's true even of the older Q/Q10, so I'll withdraw my advice on that score. Good luck with your plans if you haven't already made a purchase.
11-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do go for a Q or its' successors, make sure you get one at a good price, and factor in the possible cost of getting the sensor cleaned. You are unlikely to be able to get one unopened in new condition any more, and as the sensor is so small, any dust will show on even small prints. At least it should be a cheap job, as the sensor is accessible, unlike many cameras with retractable lenses, which still let dust get onto the sensor. This is one of the main reason I got my Q, as my beloved Ricoh GRD iv came a cropper to dust.
11-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #22
Unregistered User

The sensor on a Q is easy to clean- a little lens cleaning fluid on a lens tissue, gently wipe it across the sensors's cover glass, using the surface tension of the fluid in the tissue to make contact. Any dust usually blows right off. There are still new Q's in Japan, the Japanese vendors I have used have always been first class, although YMMV.

11-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
The sensor on a Q is easy to clean- a little lens cleaning fluid on a lens tissue, gently wipe it across the sensors's cover glass, using the surface tension of the fluid in the tissue to make contact. Any dust usually blows right off. There are still new Q's in Japan, the Japanese vendors I have used have always been first class, although YMMV.
Thanks for that info. I will bear it in mind when my Q needs a clean.