Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Wow, thanks a lot for some very detailed and thoughtful comments. It seems that the Q system is entirely different, not a backup to an APSC but more a new way for photography. I will give it a serious thought.

Yes the KP is incredibly compact and light for its ability, and pairing it with the DA limited collection satisfies my need 90% of the time. However there is still occasion when I want a super compact and light camera, even more than the KP, that's why I'm eyeing a mirrorless one. But that would be ideal if my 2 cameras can share the same lens collection, because the pancake limited lenses are also super tiny, and I like them a lot. Buying a new camera but also having to spend extra for its lenses is not a great prospect for me.

How good is the Q kit lens? Or an all around zoom for Q? A DA 18-135 equivalent in Q world?
It sounds like you only want the second camera for occasional use. The Q will fit this bill, but bear in mind even with the 01 Prime attached it is not really pocketable as the lens will protrude. If you want a pocketable camera one of the retractable lens 1" sensor models will suit. You don't say what your budget is, but it may well be cheaper to buy a s/h Q and lenses than a new camera.

11-03-2017, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Unregistered User

Here is another size comparison, show equivalent APS-C cameras and lenses next to Q versions. NOTE: shot with a 13mm Yvar d-mount lens from an old Bolex 8mm camera to show you the creative effect of using odd lenses on the Q, note vignetting and sharp center with soft corners, suitable for portraits or close-ups. Click through to see other photos taken with the Q and various lenses:

Pentax 01 w/28mm f2.8, Pentax Q7 w/ 01 || Pentax 18-55 kit zoom, Pentax Q 02 kit zoom || Pentax 15mm DA, Pentax 08 zoom

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 12:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I've found it good for longer distance subjects in the 5-10mm zoom range, but poorer close up, or at the tele end.
The 02 seems to work OK for me close-up and at the tele end (click through for maximum detail):

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-03-2017 at 12:39 PM.
11-03-2017, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

The 01 prime is worth keeping an eye open for, even if not included in your initial purchase. It's quite compact, offers the widest aperture of the native lenses, and I feel it makes the most of the limited sensor size. I sometimes enjoy using it in the camera's little-heralded "blur control" mode.

zinnias
11-06-2017, 06:03 AM   #19
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh, the Q system as you shown here is quite attractive, especially the compactness, which I like a lot. I think I will surely own a Q and some lenses one day. However as richard0170 pointed out exactly, this will only be my second camera, to be used less than 20% of the time when even the KP and its zoom feel heavy, or in some occasional events where 2 cameras may be handy. My budget is very limited so I still wish to purchase a camera which can utilizes my DA limited primes.

In searching for an affordable and used Q, last weekend I stumbled across an used K-01, at seemingly good state, at only 155 euros, so I decided to take it. It will not be as small and light as the Q, nor does it has the EVF, but still noticeable lighter and smaller than my KP, and I can put the 21, 40 pancake on it, so I hope I will be happy with it.

Thank you very much for your very helpful advises :-)

11-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
That's as good as you can get for a camera that takes the same lenses. The problem is that the registration distance of lenses doesn't change just because you use them on a mirrorless camera, so the K-01 is about as compact as you can make a camera that takes K mount lenses.

That's why there are two different 4/3 mounts. The original one, which was made for DSLRs and the Micro 4/3 for mirrorless cameras with a smaller registration difference. You can use a 4/3 lens on a Micro 4/3 camera, but you need an adapter to make up the registration difference. Incidentally, there are also two different versions of the old M39 screw mount lenses. The more common one was for Leica rangefinder cameras, and the other was for Zenit SLR cameras (a Russian brand). The registration distance was entirely different, with the Zenit one being much larger to accommodate the mirror box in an SLR.

So the bottom line is that you will never really be able to go more compact than the K-01 with K mount lenses. To go more compact, you have to look at different mounts.
11-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And you should want to not use wide angle lenses designed for K or other SLR systems on mirrorless cameras as they are reverse telephoto lenses - to make space for the flipping of the mirror, and hence have worse IQ than real wide angle lenses which do no have to leave space for a mirror.
11-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
And you should want to not use wide angle lenses designed for K or other SLR systems on mirrorless cameras as they are reverse telephoto lenses - to make space for the flipping of the mirror, and hence have worse IQ than real wide angle lenses which do no have to leave space for a mirror.
Depends on the mirrorless camera.

On the smaller sensors of the Q, what you call "real" wide angle lenses,
like an old Gauss-type Leica M Summicron 35/2 that I've been using recently, do very well.

But on bigger sensors, reverse telephoto lenses do better,
since they're sending the light rays straight down into the pixels,
and not angled in where they're likely to get cut off.

Even for normal lenses on (D)SLRs, reverse telephoto lenses like the newer Zeiss Otus
are giving better IQ than the older Gauss-derived lenses like the Zeiss Planar.

12-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Just for information's sake, lenses of this type are usually referred to as retrofocus lenses, after the name of the earliest marketed such lens.