Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I decided to give the Q one more chance.

I finally ordered the 01 prime for my QS-1. My Q came with the 02 and 06 zooms. I have to admit I have not used it much at all. I think the small 01 may change that. Both of the zooms just seem too bulky to me for a pocket camera. Amazon had some for $100 US and I had a gift card so I got one for $50. The lens will be here tomorrow. When I have used the Q I have enjoyed it.

11-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
You won't be disappointed but to get the most from the 01, it would be worth looking out for a Q7 or QS1. The larger sensor makes for a big improvement in image quality even if not as cute as the original Q.
11-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It took me some time to warm to the 01, but I used it on a recent vacation (with my Q7) and really enjoyed it.

Barrel distortion is its main issue, IMHO, but obviously that can be dealt with in post. That aside, it's a very nice lens - congrats!

EDIT: Oh, and the fast aperture is, of course, a revelation on the Q-series cameras, as you can shoot hand-held indoors or in less-than-ideal light and keep the ISO to sensible levels...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-20-2017 at 03:32 PM.
11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 01 lens is a very nice, sharp, small lens. It ranks #2 on my list for Q lenses with the 06 being #1. As BigMackCam said above, barrel distortion is pretty bad with the 01 lens but in many cases you may not even notice it. I agree that it's easy enough to fix in post if you shoot RAW. The Q no doubt corrects it when shooting JPG.

Now, with all that said, I'm going to be a party pooper and say that other premium compacts will run circles around the Q + 01 lens by itself. Something like the Sony RX100 series is only marginally larger but provides a superior sensor with more dynamic range, more pixels, and much less noise. Focus speeds will be wickedly faster and response times wallop the Q. I don't know how much more or less fun a RX100 is to shoot though. The fun factor can go a long way in swaying opinion. The 01 lens best serves the Q when used in a travel kit with the 02, 03, 06, and 08 lenses. All those lenses plus the 01 as system together will make for a very accommodating and flexible system that could potentially outperform many premium compacts. Where else can you find a constant f/2.8 zoom that gives a FF equivalent reach of 200mm and a WA lens with a FF equivalent of about 15mm that fits in the palm of your hand?

11-20-2017, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I have the QS-1 and the 02 and 06. They all came in a double zoom kit. I really got the Q for a take everywhere camera. I am hoping the 01 will fill that. My intention now is to always have the QS-1, 01, 02, and 06 with me in my car. They are so small they will fit right into the cxenter console no problem. Oh and I always shoot RAW.
11-21-2017, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 01 prime is my favourite lens for the Q. I use it with a polarizing filter much of he time and the optional OVF. I also have the 08 wide zoom which us great fun to use but rather expensive, and always gets used at the wide end by me! 6BQ5 is right about the IQ and and AF performance of the RX100 series, but when I bought my Q in 2014, I was put off them for other reasons:-
1. I could not get a proper grip on the bodies - so any IQ benefits would be lost due to shake. Also when holding the camera the EVF was partially obscured by my palm. Not much use for composition. Funnily enough with Canon's G9x, which I have been tempted by but not succumbed to for reasons below, I do not have this problem despite its diminutive size.
2. I prefer a fixed prime lens - the Q provides this, I could have gone for a 4/3rds camera but I wanted something as small as possible.
3. I have suffered with sensor dust on retractable lens cameras in the past. One camera, the Ricoh GRDiv was not cost effective to repair due to the sensor being a (supposedly) sealed unit. The Q, being interchangeable lens, is much easier and cheaper to clean the sensor. I have not yet suffered from dust, but when I do it can be fixed!
4. I do not trust the long term reliability of retractable lens cameras, as the motors of the lenses can go. I mostly use my Q on holidays abroad, so I want a camera which is as reliable as possible, so far it has proved itself to be so. I hate the way modern cameras seem to pack up after they just go out of warranty. This has happened to me with Samsung and Ricoh. Both time when abroad! I prefer my cameras to have longevity and not be useless in a very short time.
5. The battery life while not great, is still pretty good and it is trivial to carry a couple of spare in ones pocket. It also does not drain very quickly in cold weather, unlike my partner's Canon S120, which is all but useless in temperatures much below 10c, due to battery drain.
I think your decision to keep the camera in your car is a very wise one, except be careful of extremes of heat and cold, something you are likely to experience in your part of the world!