Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know the 06 is old news, but I got one for Christmas and I'm very impressed!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've had the 01 standard prime, 02 standard zoom, and 03 fisheye since the system debuted. (Yup, I have the original Q body. Two of them, one new and unopened, even). I toyed with an auto 110 adapter and a 50mm lens, and was impressed with the reach of such a small lens... but not the sharpness. I've had the 06 on my radar for a long time, but due to lots of issues (girlfriend, job, family) I have almost zero time for photography anymore. But.... someone spied that lens on my amazon wish list, and it made it into my christmas stocking this year!

So far I'm really, really impressed. I've always loved the 01 standard prime, and just sort of tolerated the 02 standard zoom. I thought the 02 was nothing special. Not particularly sharp, but not bad. Images from the 01 lens seemed to pop, and something about the 02 just left me flat. The lens makes technically good images, but I just wasn't impressed. But the 06 lens... wow, that's what I was hoping for! It reminds me of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 in image quality. I don't have to try very hard, and it makes sharp images with decent bokeh (for the Q). It's fun to handle and fun to use and it focuses nicely in low light too. I'm really, really pleased with it so far. The only thing I don't love about it is the minimum focus distance. I'd love to find something Q-sized that works for macro photography. (I have adapted k-mount lenses that work almost like microscopes on the Q, but nothing that's hand-holdable in the field)

Anyhow, I'm really digging this little lens. It's rather revitalized the Q platform for me, and I'm thinking of using it more often. Maybe even snagging a Q7 to take advantage of the larger sensor and wider FOV.

Charles.

01-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love mine. Amazing lens in a tiny package. A 'must-have' for the Q system in my opinion.

It does even better on the larger sensor of the Q7/Q-S1. It's as sharp, maybe even a hair sharper, than the 01 prime.

The only thing I don't like is the build quality. The 02 is a much better built zoom lens.
01-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, the 06 is really excellent. Build quality of the 02 is superior, but optically the 06 is an absolute gem
01-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, to all of the above on the 06, the 08 aint too shabby either. If you can get a Q7 or whatever the later body is called, it's a good thing. The Q7 was really a lot better than the Q or Q10 - IMHO

01-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 06 has always seemed to me to be the soul of the machine. The 01 is lovely but lacks, for me, the surprise of the 06. The 08 is amazing on the Q7 but so expensive.
01-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the original Q, and it's fine and all, except the fisheye isn't very fishy, and the Q is just blasted slow when shooting in RAW+. Low light performance is also less than what I'd prefer. But, the system is small enough to travel with me stuffed in a motorcycle saddlebag, which was the reason I invested in the system in the first place!

The Q7 sounds like it's faster, with better image quality, and with a wider FOV to make the fisheye more usable. All a win for me. I just need to find one... and then figure out what to do with my two Q bodies (I have a brand new black Q still in the package. Was cheaper to buy the body/lens package to get the 01 prime than to buy the prime separate, back in the day).

Charles.
01-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own a Q so bear with me as I ask this. For macro work could you use a K to Q adapter with a K extension ring and/or reversing ring and a 40-50mm lens? That might get you the macro you want - not a large extension ring - certainly far less than 50mm. Since the 1:1 extension would be rather too much on the Q sensor I'd say. Maybe a 25 or 13mm tube?

01-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M 50mm F4 macro does OK!
01-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have super macro working with adapted lenses. The goal is macro with Q-sized lenses!

Charles.
01-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I have super macro working with adapted lenses. The goal is macro with Q-sized lenses!

Charles.
This might help, Charles:

Pentax Q Auto Extension Tube Set | SRB-Photographic.co.uk

Not sure if these are available in your neck of the woods, but I'd guess they are... somewhere

Alternatively, this (or something similar - there are many versions available):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept-40-5mm-Close-up-Accessory-Cleaning/dp/B00JL4HQFS

IQ - especially at the edges - won't be great with the higher powered close-up lenses, but centre performance should be perfectly usable...
01-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The 06 and the 08 lenses are the two lenses that make the Q system worth its weight in gold. Where else can you get a constant aperture 70-200mm equivalent lens that fits in the palm of your hand? The 08 wide angle lens is also super sharp too. Shoot wide open or at f/3.2 for optimal performance. Be sure to use the ND filter if you have it in your original Q.

I agree the 01 is nice but nothing special. The 02 is just a barrel of optics. Whatever.

Congrats on the 06! Enjoy it!
01-08-2018, 04:33 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 06 is an amazing piece of glass.

Add the 08 Wide Zoom and you're set.
01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The 06 is an amazing piece of glass.
Oh my, very nice! Those Stones and Foo photos are awesome, Sandy... excellent work!!
01-08-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike. There are many more on Flickr.

Apart from the amazing image quality of this lens, the Q system is small enough that you can wear it around your neck with the 01 mounted and the 06 in a pocket and even the most picky security guard will let you into the gig.
01-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks Mike. There are many more on Flickr.

Apart from the amazing image quality of this lens, the Q system is small enough that you can wear it around your neck with the 01 mounted and the 06 in a pocket and even the most picky security guard will let you into the gig.
You're just adding to the list of reasons I keep my eyes out for a Q-S1 at a good price. And now I know which lens to add into the mix too. Very nice shots.