Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any of the toy lenses worth getting?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I do have the fisheye lens and love it, but the wide and telephoto toy lenses are both covered by the 02 and 06 range. Is there any benefit to snagging one of those? I don't suppose any of the toy lenses can do a decent macro? I'm thinking about snagging the 07 body cap lens just because it's $28 on Amazon, and it does have a Holga-esque look to the images. But I don't really have any examples of the toy wide or tele to go by. There's precious little info on google or on the pentaxforum lens reviews for either lens. Are there any benefits to these two lenses, or am I better off passing on them?

Charles.

01-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The mythical 09 lens was to be the go-to Macro lens for the system. But it looks like that will never see the light of day.

The 04 has a really close focusing distance. Probably the nearest thing to pseudo macro in the native lens line up.

I got the 05 and 07 just because they were so inexpensive and I thought what the hell may as well have all 8 lenses

Haven't used them much. Would like to do some Holga-esque work with the 07 at some point.
The use case for the 05 is harder to nail down. I must play with it more when time permits.
01-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My most used lenses are (in order of most to least use) are the 04 wide, the 03 FE, and then the 01 normal, and essentially never the 02 zoom (quality is good but it is too large).

About the 04 wide: it lets me have the camera+lens in my pocket basically every day (backpacking/canoeing, commuting/walking, at my college record my lecture work at the board, etc.), it has a reasonable hyperfocal distance so it's use is fast, and I think the quality is quite fine.

And by the way none of them are "holga style."
01-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can find them for cheap, I think they're worth playing with (as long as you know that the IQ will be "creative").

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had and used all of the Q system lenses. I shot with them for all of 2015 in fact. My thoughts are that unless you have to have the full set of 8 lenses, there is no point to the 2 Toy lenses - none. They, suck and are hard to focus. If you really have to have them, send me a PM, I'll be happy to unload them on you for a cheap price.
01-08-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an example of for me a satisfying photo (sunrise on an Adirondack Park lake) with the 04 wide lens. BTW I use an 35mm or 40mm optical finder and attached (w/ tape) a DIY filter ring.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the toy lenses, but I did buy a Holga style 10mm

USD - Holga lens HL-PQ for Pentax Q series Digital Cameras | eBay

01-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The 04 is actually a fun lens, and offers closer focusing (albeit manual) than the 02. It's diffraction limited because of the fixed f/7.1 aperture, and you need very good light for hand-held work, or else use a tripod. Contrary to the official description, it doesn't produce "toy camera style" results whatsoever (unless you apply filters, and that can be done with any lens ), but if you find a cheap one, I think it's worth owning
01-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

Oddly, the 04 is the only Q lens I don't have, but judging from comments above, I probably ought to find one.

Normally I settle for the 08 for wide, and the 06 for portrait to long distance, with the 01 otherwise parked on the Q7 body. These three are, in my experience, the highest quality Q lenses, and they are leave me wanting nothing (except the sadly missed macro lens).
01-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think you have it covered with the lenses you have.
The fisheye is the only one of the lot that is worth it imo.

I'd rather spend the money on a PK adapter (preferably the OEM one) or the 08 lens.
Yes, much more money, but opens up lots of new options (esp the adapter).
01-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have the 04. Don't use it a lot for wideangle. It is cool for macro. It gives a wide, environmental macro look as opposed to my Pentax DFA 100 and Pentax A*200 macro (on APS-c body). Worth the small amount of money it costs.

Technically Pentax didn't list the 03 fisheye as a toy lens.

Thanks,
barondla
01-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wanted the toy lenses at one point but got turned off from it. It's always possible to take a razor sharp image from the 01 and make it "creative". However, you can't start with a "creative" image and make it razor sharp. There's enough software out there to give you that "creative" look.
01-09-2018, 02:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

04 wide lens is cool, but could be hair sharper close to infinity. I bought one before summer and I'm quite happy when using this one for snaps. You can look at:

Let's share shots with Q! - Page 370 - PentaxForums.com

For some macro/semi-macro options with adapted lenses you can look at Pentax 110 or C-mount ones:

Pentax Auto 110 lenses for the Q - PentaxForums.com

Tamron c-mount lens 75mm f3.9 on Pentax-Q7 - PentaxForums.com
01-09-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I wanted the toy lenses at one point but got turned off from it. It's always possible to take a razor sharp image from the 01 and make it "creative". However, you can't start with a "creative" image and make it razor sharp. There's enough software out there to give you that "creative" look.
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
04 wide lens is cool, but could be hair sharper close to infinity. I bought one before summer and I'm quite happy when using this one for snaps.
As I've mentioned before, the toy lenses do not produce toy camera effects. At all. The only lens that really does this is the 07 Mount Shield, which is seriously limited in application because of the fixed focus distance which is no good for either distant or really close up subjects.

For me, the 04's real advantage is the minimum focus distance of just 7cm (that's something you definitely can't get in post-processing, unless you crop significantly). By comparison, the 01 is 20cm, while the 02 is 30cm. Both of those are much sharper lenses, but for reasonably close subjects and especially for pseudo macro, the 04 works well. Not a good walk-around lens, perhaps, but used for the right occasions, it has it's place and can produce very good images (of the non-toy variety ).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-09-2018 at 04:25 AM.
01-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've played with the 50mm Auto 110 lens on an adapter... and just never found it very good. Everything has fringing and the focus area is razor thin. It's difficult to get a sharp image... and even when a sharp image is acquired, it's just not that sharp. I had much more luck with an FA50 1.7 stopped down to 2.8 than I did with the Auto 110 lens. The 06 lens blows the 50mm Auto 110 out of the water in every way. I dunno if it's the focal plane or the SR working better or what, but I have much more luck with the 06 lens than I do with the 50mm auto 110.

Charles.