Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ChopperCharles I agree the 06 is sharper than the 50mm 110 lens. However, the 50mm 110 lens isn't awful. I usually shoot the 110 lenses with Lensbaby aperture disc mounted in the lens adapter. It stops the lens down approximately 1 step to f4. Makes a big difference in image quality.
Thanks,
barondla

01-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Maybe I have a bad Auto 110 50mm, but everything I take with it seems overly soft and fringey. Just not a fan of it. I get far better results with the 06. I also swear the Auto 110 is 50mm is not an f/2.8. I just shot two photos, same subject, same lighting, Aperture priority. 06 at full zoom and the 50mm Auto 110 lens. The 06 photo came out at 1/1600, and the Auto 110 photo was 1/1250. Both ISO 125. 06 had accurate colors. Green greens and blue skies, while the Auto 110 lens has more yellowy greens and the sky is paler and has a purple cast to it. The 06 was noticeably sharper, even at the edges.

Charles.
01-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Could the difference in exposure be due to different light transmission efficiency between the two lenses?
01-16-2018, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just snagged an 07, and I must say I'm quite happy with it. It gives very Holga-esque images. It truly is a toy lens! It's slow as balls and works best in bright sunlight. I like the images it makes, especially after bumping contrast in post.

Charles.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I just snagged an 07, and I must say I'm quite happy with it. It gives very Holga-esque images. It truly is a toy lens! It's slow as balls and works best in bright sunlight. I like the images it makes, especially after bumping contrast in post.
Glad you like it, Charles (and nice shot, BTW )...

The reason I have a little bit of a downer on the 07 is the fixed focus and relatively shallow depth of field, which means if you want anything to be "sharp" in the centre, the subject needs to be a pretty specific distance away from the camera. The distance for acceptable focus is supposed to be 0.3 to 2m, but in reality I found it wanting at the extremes of that range, unless reproduction size of the resulting shots is limited to typical online image sizes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fun lens and definitely has creative possibilities... But as a mount shield lens - the idea of which is to leave on the camera in lieu of fitting something bigger and better - I just find it a bit too limited. That said, it's small enough that I usually carry it in my little Q bag
01-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I get you there. It's not a good walk-around lens. It's not a sharp lens, even when in the focal plane. It's good for a specific purpose, which is dreamy holga style imagery in bright sunlight. That's it. For that, it was $25 well spent. It's a fun little lens to play with, and I'm quite happy with it.

Charles.