Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Xtend-a sight is still around!

Maybe others already know this but I just discovered that xtend-a sight is back in business. They announced that they had stopped production about 4 years ago but it appears that they are back with the old site and also available on Amazon.

01-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Maybe others already know this but I just discovered that xtend-a sight is back in business. They announced that they had stopped production about 4 years ago but it appears that they are back with the old site and also available on Amazon.
Cool find. About a year after getting mine, remember them closing down. Glad they are back.
Thanks for the info,
barondla
01-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is it, and why should we be interested in getting one/it?
01-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
What is it, and why should we be interested in getting one/it?
It is for people photographing with large telephoto lenses. An adapter that fits a camera hotshoe and has Weaver rails to allow the attachment of a red dot scope.

Many photographers use these for birds in flight. You can see a wider field than the camera and find the subject quicker. It also helps find still subjects at very high magnification with very narrow field of view. This is where the Q comes in. I would never be without a finder when using the Q with a 300mm or longer lens.
Thanks,
barondla

01-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw red dot scopes at B and H for sale (I think) and it is a really good idea to mount a reflex scope on the hotshoe for BIF. Thanks for the answer. Is there something really special about X-tendasight versus any other mounting systems?
01-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw red dot scopes at B and H for sale (I think) and it is a really good idea to mount a reflex scope on the hotshoe for BIF. Thanks for the answer. Is there something really special about X-tendasight versus any other mounting systems?
It is a rifle sighting device (not really an aiming scope) that mounts to rifle mounting system (Weaver rails) but they have an adapter to mount the sight to a camera hotshoe. Thus you can locate a distant subject with extreme telephoto FoV with the Red Dot sight; then tweak aim, and focus, with the camera OVF or LCD in LiveView.
01-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is an adapter because Weaver rails will not go directly onto a camera. Xtend-a Sight has a flash shoe foot on one side and the rail on top for the red dot.There might be other sight to camera mounts but I am unfamiliar with them. This is what most of us used in the old days when Q was hot. Red Dots are not really rifle scopes which would be too big for most camera set ups. Barondla has a great review somewhere on this forum of the Pentax RD Mini which goes very will with cameras especially the Q because it is so compact. Search for Pentax RD Mini.
01-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, I think of Red Dot Sights not having magnification (yes, there are some), but I've never heard of a scope that didn't.

I have to admit when I first saw this post, I couldn't help buy wonder what/why I would mount my Leupold on top of the camera for...

01-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, the red dot isn't really a scope. Thinking of mounting a real scope on the Q. Why? Because often times young eagles will be in the bottom of the nest and not visible. A good high power scope would allow watching the nest without wasting the Q's tiny battery. I also had the original Q temp gauge come on multiple times on a hot June day. Should be able to mount both a scope and red dot on the Q. Doubt I will pop for a pentax scope.
Thanks,
barondla
01-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

So what product from them would be usefull? does enyone have a link?
01-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coyot3 Quote
Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight

The Xtend-A-Sight II works with the Q.
Thanks,
barondla
01-27-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by coyot3 Quote
It is also available through Amazon. The link Barondla gave will take you to the main site where you can read the detailed description. Apparently the new item is cheaper to manufacture so it may differ from the original. I sold my original several years ago but decided to order one of the new ones which should arrive today.
01-29-2018, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #13

I got myself one of these inexpensive generic dot sights that came with a rail/hot shoe mounting on it. Little wiggle but A well placed bit of wire helps make the arrangement firm on the camera. I can find my target loads faster on my Q with 300mm lens now.

I do wonder if the smaller dot sights for pistols would be good enough though. As smaller form factor is always nice when it's for the q.

Reflex Red Green Dot Sight 4 Patterned Reticle for Camera 15.8m@100m 33mm Black | eBay
Attached Images

01-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool addition 2old4toys. A red dot makes a 300/Q combo so much nicer to use. The pistol red dots would probably also work well. Haven't tried one.

My Xtend-A-Sight also has some slop in the hotshoe. I have to align it every time it is attached to the hotshoe. I just center something on the lcd and twist red dot to match.

Hope you post some tele shots.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
01-31-2018, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

A Red dot for a pistol would work better since you have longer eye relief than with a red dot made for a rifle. YMMV though.