Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Reviving My Q

I haven't used the Q in ages... since the internal battery failed and I wasn't able to get it repaired...

I have a new little movie project, which involves social media, a collection of GoPro's and a drone. Don't worry, it doesn't involve any vlogging or influencing... I'd really like to get a more substantial camera into the mix & I've got a nice collection of lenses for the Q... I'm considering trying to pick up an S1 body for some of the more direct facing with the camera. I like the fact that it has image stablisation, bokeh/depth of field and active focus, but can it accept an external microphone?

01-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Q series cameras do not have a microphone port and the internal mic is mono only. The only way to properly record audio would be to use an external recorder and sync in postproduction. But I guess for the price of a Q-S1 and a proper external recorder you could also get a used canon or sony compact with better video quality and audio input.
01-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Think the original Q body has stereo microphones and the others are mono. As alpheios stated none have mic inputs. Your project sounds interesting.
Thanks,
barondla
01-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
It's a shame... I love my Q, but might have to sell it to fund another system... I really don't want to start again & have to buy a bunch of lenses...

01-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

All the internal battery does is retain settings. Your Q will continue to work fine, but you'll have to reset time, etc, each time you change batteries.
01-28-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose if it was possible somebody would already have mentioned it, but I seem to recall discussions (years ago) about the possibility of replacing the internal battery? Maybe it is a soldered in capacitor. Anyone ever opened a Q up? Has anyone had the problem with later Q models?
01-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bluefoam did you try the battery pumping fix in the other thread? It seems to have fixed my original Q. I used to have 10 seconds to swap batteries without losing info. After battery pumping, it lasted 5 min! It has been so long since trying this with the Q something else might have changed. Doesn't hurt to try.
Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-30-2018 at 06:28 PM.
01-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys. The issue isn't the battery, it's that my needs require me to use an external microphone.

01-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Thanks guys. The issue isn't the battery, it's that my needs require me to use an external microphone.
. It may give you some ideas. Also, check out his other videos. I suspect you'll find something that will help you.
01-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well... its done.

I am leaving the wonderful world of Pentax & have ordered a Canon M system camera. It's nothing against the Q, it's actually a fantastic system and super versatile for someone like me who travels so much and needs a camera in their work. I'm going to take on a mini project involving video, so my Q is going to suffer...

If anyone is interested in a Q Body, 01, 02, 03, 08 please let me know. I'm particularly gonna miss the 08.