Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

3d printed adaptors?

Hello, anyone tried 3D printed passive lens adaptors? There seems to be no commercially available metal made q to micro 4/3rds adaptors available.
I have a couple of Micro 4/3rds manual lenses I wish to try on the Q. All I can find are unreviewed 3d printed adaptors which I am concerned will leave bits of plastic in the camera sensor. Unfounded concerns?

M43 To Pentax Q Adapter (5XEUW4YKH) by charmlee

02-22-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I have a 3d printer - that's the exact reason I haven't really followed that route
02-22-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the difference between 3D printed plastic and a plastic mount.

The bigges dust contributor is having a lens off the camera

I would however paint it flat black to stop the reflection off white, blue or what ever other colours are out there. The part would stop most of the "dust" you are conned about.

Wear at the mount is the least of your worries
02-22-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at that adapter, how does it hold a m43 lens on without any kind of mechanical locking? Just friction?
thanks,
barondla

02-22-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plastic basically wears with the production of granular and fibrous particles. Those can also have clinging properties due to static charges that don't dissipate well (unless conductive plastic is being used). True, mount wear isn't that much of an issue in terms of mechanical fitting but it's what comes off when wear occurs that can be a problem in terms of sensor contamination. If it's a one or ten times use, that probably isn't a worry, but if it's being adopted as a permanent solution which sees a lot of use, then it could be a significant issue.
02-22-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not worried about 'dust'. That's just a fact of life with cameras.

I personally have a PLA printer, it prints from a nozzle in a linear fashion, as opposed to injection molding , PLA is somewhat brittle, and small fine bits can flake or chip when placed under mechanical tension (it also melts a a far lower temperature than other plastics, but I haven't had a problem with that).

The prints don't come out smooth like injection molded parts, and especially when printing overhangs the structure of the resulting plastic is looser and rougher than an injection molded part.
The bigger problem than surface wear, is that the locking mechanisms in cameras will wear or stress the mount in localised points - which isn't a big problem with injection molded camera mounts as the plastics that the manufacturers use for lens mounts tends to handle wear well and that plastic deforms before it will flake off.

I'm also not capable of the tolerances which large camera manufacturers can manage with injection molded parts.

I get good usage from my 3d printer, and it's really useful for prototyping things, and for producing blanks for metal casting. I've used it to make battery/power adapters, cases for electronics, bearing housings, and stuff like that, but it doesn't do everything and while a 3d printed mount adapter would fit and no doubt work, I don't think it would be a good long term solution. If I wanted to go that route I'd probably look more at modifying a cheap metal adapter to suit my purposes - apart from anything, it would likely be cheaper and quicker.

I personally would just print in black rather than painting anything - the paint would probably wear worse than the 3d print itself.
02-22-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Hello, anyone tried 3D printed passive lens adaptors?
. . .

My Mamiya CS to Canon EF adapter has a grainy texture, but it seems to have good integrity. I've owned it for a couple years and used it about 10 or 12 times. So far I haven't seen any obvious signs of flaking or disintegration. But, as suggested by earlier posters, if I used the adapter daily I'm sure there would be some wear.

A bigger issue is that the adapter won't lock into the camera mount. It's just held in place by friction - and a cautious hand.

02-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the useful replies!
I overlooked that there was no locking mechanism. Mostly I'm just not confident of how well the plastic 3d print material will hold up against repeated use with the metal mount of the body. I envision it shedding bits of plastic into the camera insides with every mount and dismount so it's a no go for now.
02-27-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I used such adapter printed on very cheap 3d printer and didn't like it. I guess this depends much on printer and plastic used.
03-31-2018, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #10

I want one too. The thing that makes it worthwhile is the ability to re-adapt all your 4/3 adapted lenses.
04-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edgar Quote
I want one too. The thing that makes it worthwhile is the ability to re-adapt all your 4/3 adapted lenses.
I want only to be able to use my manual lens that has MFT mount on my Q. To that end, I will Frankenstein a metal MFT lens locking adaptor for myself. Will post a new thread to share if it works as planned.