Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 05:13 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mattias Burling gives the Pentax Q and Qs1 a big thumbs up

Dear Pentax Q users,

The day before yesterday Mattias Burling posted a very nice video on Youtube on the Pentax Q and Qs1 and all the lenses. It's a very nice and well made video and well worth the watch. His thoughts concerning the system are of course no surprise to us Q users, as we have known the merits of the Q system for long time. However, Ricoh itself seems to have forgotten. Please, Ricoh Imaging take note...!!

Kind regards from Amsterdam. Hartelijke groeten uit Amsterdam

03-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

I saw the video today, and it really make me miss my Qs1 more than usual. I am backpacking since 2 years, and I have only bring my K3 with few lenses with me but sometimes I really hope I had my Qs1, but even if it small, I couldn't afford to take 2 cameras.
I hope more people come to the Q system with this video, and that Ricoh get the message. Please, keep it alive!
03-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful video! If the 08 was a little less expensive, I think I'd already own either a Q-S1 or a Q-7. This video really makes me want to get one!
03-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the Q is a neat camera but has been left behind as 1 " sensors are now the norm. While I have the original Q and the Q7, they sit on the shelf most of the time.

03-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Yes the Q is a neat camera but has been left behind as 1 " sensors are now the norm.
Maybe we live in different universes, because in mine there isn't a current ILC system with 1" sensor (since Nikon has more or less abandoned its 1 System). So I don't see how 1" sensors are any kind of "norm", as you claim... At least not for ILCs.
03-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have long enjoyed his videos and had been eagerly awaiting this since he teased it in his previous video. If you like videos like this, definitely check out his others. He is also a big fan of the Ricoh GR (though that generally has a decent fan base whereas the Q community is a bit more Quiet.)
03-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the link.

03-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Mattias is one of my favorite youtube-creators and him vouching for the Q and the Ricoh GR is kind of great for us pentax-users. It is a bit uphill for brand recognition and the unique character, left-field of a very rapid consumer culture, is sometimes forgotten. People like Mattias doing a 20 minutes video and showcasing the Q on his insta is inspiring.
03-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

It's unfortunately a relic of the past... I love the camera, but need good video, good stabilisation, external microphone... And an internal battery that doesn't sh*t itself...

Unfortunately, I've moved to another system already after spending a small fortune on my Q body and lenses... If there was some hope of a more up to date body I would have hung in...
03-19-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
It's unfortunately a relic of the past... I love the camera, but need good video, good stabilisation, external microphone... And an internal battery that doesn't sh*t itself...

Unfortunately, I've moved to another system already after spending a small fortune on my Q body and lenses... If there was some hope of a more up to date body I would have hung in...
How could you spend a small fortune on it?

A body and all the lenses is only about $1200.

If you needed good video with mic inputs you should have bought a video camera in the first place.

What other small sensor ILC camera with a 1/1.7 sensor is there, "up to date" or not?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 03-19-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
03-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
What other small sensor ILC camera with a 1/1.7 sensor is there, "up to date" or not?
Lol... What other camera called a Pentax Q is a Pentax Q?

Ridiculous question.... Who has ever set a 1/1.7 sensor as their primary purchasing requirement for a camera...

---------- Post added 03-20-18 at 04:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
How could you spend a small fortune on it?

A body and all the lenses is only about $1200.

If you needed good video with mic inputs you should have bought a video camera in the first place.

$1200 isn't allot to you, but it's a considerable investment for allot of people, particularly hobbyists.

Why should I have bought a video camera? What user buys a video camera in this day and age? I have a full suite of lenses suitable for video and still photography, but no body capable of keeping up with current usage patterns in the consumer market...
03-19-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

A very expensive niche camera that hindered its appeal and first review scores when it was launched back in 2011, but still retains it’s unique charm even now but only much more affordable when bought used today.

The video does its job to reintroduce/promote a largely forgotten camera’s great qualities to the people who originally dismissed it.

I only bought into the Q a few months ago myself (Partially helped because I spent not very much money at all).

Pentax Q? Absolutely love it! Very happy people are still enthusiastic about such an old camera and will bring more people join the cult of the Q. Who knows... can’t harm the chances of a comeback.
03-19-2018, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
current usage patterns in the consumer market...
I've never thought that was an important factor in photography.
03-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice review. Makes me want to get another Q.
03-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Nice review. Makes me want to get another Q.
Same. Maybe I should get a fun-colored Q to complement my all-black Q-S1.