Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Q for Concerts?

There is a Q10 for sale near me at a great price. I would like to get a pocketable camera that I can take to concerts as DSLR's aren't allowed unless you are a hired photographer. I have been on the lookout for a Fuji X100 however, I have been considering the advantage of the Q's crop factor when using a Q to K mount adapter. My expectations are not high, I am simply looking for a "cheap" camera that offers more than my iPhone. Any thoughts or suggestions?

03-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some concerts ban anything with interchangeable lenses. The Q series lenses aren't very fast, but the quality of output seems excellent from these tiny devices. My personal camera from what I own or have access to for those events would be a Panasonic LX-7 for the f/1.4-f/2.3 zoom that covers 24-90 equivalent range on a similarly sized sensor. (I don't own a Q)
03-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It is possible to get good results with an adapted K mount lens, but it should be a very high quality one, the sensor of a Q10 is merciless in its resolution. The Q 06 telephoto zoom gives excellent results (80-230mm equivalent FOV) for less than what a lens+adapter would cost, unless you already have a lens. I adapted a Canon LTM (rangefinder) lenses, a 100mm f3.5 (560mm Equivalent FOV) to my Q7 and got good results. A 100mm macro would work well too, although it would be bigger. A cheaper option would be a Pentax 110 50mm (280mm FOV, about $30 + $20 adapter) and it would be the lightest and most compact. All of these adapted options require manual focusing which works well with the magnified preview. Focus peaking works OK, but is not as precise. 50mm C-mount CCTV lenses are an option as well, but would be more expensive.

The Fuji x100 would be more expensive and lack telephoto capability, although it is a great camera for regular use.
The Panasonic LX-7 is pretty good too, although not very long telephoto and not much faster than the 06 at the long end.

Last edited by Cipher; 03-21-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typos
03-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
There is a Q10 for sale near me at a great price. I would like to get a pocketable camera that I can take to concerts as DSLR's aren't allowed unless you are a hired photographer. I have been on the lookout for a Fuji X100 however, I have been considering the advantage of the Q's crop factor when using a Q to K mount adapter. My expectations are not high, I am simply looking for a "cheap" camera that offers more than my iPhone. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would look for q7/Q-s1 for the higher quality sensor. 01/06 lenses are good for low light. 02 lens can autofocus during video on q-s1.

03-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
The Panasonic LX-7 is pretty good too, although not very long telephoto and not much faster than the 06 at the long end.
True true - I tend to be closer where a 100mm equivalent (available from the 1x1 square crop mode) is typically enough for me - but I'm also in smaller venues and not shooting for anyone but me. Some of the 1" superzooms are nice but some of those models are as large as a DSLR!
03-21-2018, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out this tread

Would You Buy a Q - PentaxForums.com

Member Sandy Hancock uses a Q7 at concerts!
03-22-2018, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax Q at Yes, Massey Hall, Toronto, Sept. 2017

Some pics from a concert last year. Just made some quick edits to each. Enjoyed the flexibility of the 06, and the 01 was fun to use as well. No problems bringing the camera with lenses in. Not for pixel-peepers, I'm sure, but great memories of these outstanding musicians. Chris Squire, RIP.

Zenfolio | André Fiedeldey | 2017 - Yes, Massey Hall, Toronto
03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
Some pics from a concert last year. Just made some quick edits to each. Enjoyed the flexibility of the 06, and the 01 was fun to use as well. No problems bringing the camera with lenses in. Not for pixel-peepers, I'm sure, but great memories of these outstanding musicians. Chris Squire, RIP.

Zenfolio | André Fiedeldey | 2017 - Yes, Massey Hall, Toronto
Strictly speaking, that's not Yes, it's ARW... Must dig out some of my shots of them at the Apollo, using a Q-S1. Saw Rick later in the year at one of his solo piano gigs and gave him a print of the best one, which he seemed to appreciate.

I keep my entire Q setup in a belt-bag and have never had a problem getting it into a concert. Even if inspected I don't think it'd be taken seriously...

03-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I hear you, but those three guys, esp. the 2 older gents, can call themselves whatever they like, they will always be Yes to me. Almost half a century of memories! Also just noticed the metadata got lost, so need to figure out why. Left it on at export in LR. Nice giving Rick that print!
03-22-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Check out this tread

Would You Buy a Q - PentaxForums.com

Member Sandy Hancock uses a Q7 at concerts!
Yes indeed. I won't bother re-posting the images - click on the link above.

I stroll past security with the Q7 (with 01 mounted) proudly displayed around my neck, and the 06 (and sometimes the 08) discretely hidden in a pocket, rolled up jumper, wife's handbag etc. I never get a second look. A spare battery is also a good idea.

Get close, and leave the 06 wide open unless the light is really good. I rarely if ever stop down further than f/4.0 because depth of field is already considerable.
03-22-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
I hear you, but those three guys, esp. the 2 older gents, can call themselves whatever they like, they will always be Yes to me. Almost half a century of memories! Also just noticed the metadata got lost, so need to figure out why. Left it on at export in LR. Nice giving Rick that print!
Couldn't agree more, especially when you come to at the end of 20 minutes of Awaken; just magic. Though I think they can call themselves anything except Yes, contractually - Chris Squire was quite protective of the name... Here's some of my pix; pretty lame compared to yours, though in mitigation I was only shooting JPEGs due to space constraints:

This last one was the print I gave to Rick - not the best pic, but they were clearly having a great time so I thought it would appeal more than a technically better one.

Cheers

Jonathan
03-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

Cool. Is it fine with the establishment you keeping the back LCD blazing on or do you use an optical viewfinder for added stealth?
03-22-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only lift it up to head height so nobody behind me is bothered by the LCD.