Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Does Your "Significant Other" Think Of The Pentax Brand?

In a week or two my wife will be going on a week long cruise with some girl friends. She asked me today if she could take one of my cameras with her on the trip.

My wife does not own a camera, and rarely uses one of mine.

I own many different brands of cameras.

I told her that I'd be happy to give her my Pentax Q camera to take on her trip. Her response to my offer was "Oh no, I couldn't possibly take one of your high quality Pentax cameras! Why don't you give me something that's not quite as good; like your Sony or Fuji camera?."

What does your significant other think of the Pentax camera brand?

03-22-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love me, love my camera, Fenwoodian! :P
03-22-2018, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If I ever find a significant other I will let you know what she thinks.
03-22-2018, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

LOL. My wife is the same but only because Pentax is relatively less commonly seen on store shelves where we are, so the brand has a higher perceived value.

I’d rather hand my missus a point and shoot zoom with the mode dial taped down in auto than risk any of my prized discontinued Q’s with her to be honest.

(Not being sexist, it’s just my particular wife who has an aversion to any complexity beyond the super ease of use she enjoys from the iPhone camera app)

03-22-2018, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

My wife had a Pentax K1000 before we started going out. She's very knowledgeable about cameras...she's had to listen to me talk about photography...almost non stop...for 35 years.
03-22-2018, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife also shoots with Pentax, so she thinks highly of it. When we first met, back when dirt was new, and film was the only game in town, it was a pleasant surprise to discover we both were using Pentax cameras. When we married, we combined our small bevy of lenses. Years later, when digital began to reign, she'd drifted to Canon for a few years, while I remained with the Pentax brand. It wasn't long before she was missing her favorite lenses, and rejoined the Pentax fold.
03-22-2018, 09:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I give my wife my Canon G15 when we travel. She's got the hang of it in P mode, and has a better artistic eye than I do. So she's happy and between us we get a good set of pictures.

(I can't convince her to learn my K3/K1 even though she is a professional optical astronomer and feels right at home taking complex images with million-dollar cameras (even billion dollars - she was a co-investigator on a Hubble Space Telescope instrument).)

03-22-2018, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife keeps to her Canon cameras and takes away the burden of me having to lend her one of MY lenses........
03-22-2018, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure my wife knows my cameras are Pentax. But she knows I have cameras. Until new camera looks more or less the same I can upgrade. But I cannot change Pentax K5II with KP (looks very different). So I am waiting for new APC-S having a hope it will resemble K5II.
03-23-2018, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

My wife doesn't seem to really care - she is more focused on the output (although she is VERY familiar with the amount of time I've invested here writing for the forums )

But I think I have the best of both worlds...

Jenny doesn’t shoot, nor does she really have a desire to do so...but she loves assisting me on shoots (she’s my VALS) and before I deployed I learned that she actually really enjoys the processing in Lightroom and photoshop. So when I get back I plan to teach her and incorporate her into my workflow

Last edited by Heie; 03-23-2018 at 05:27 AM.
03-23-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you bought ANOTHER Camera? (K5 IIs) I thought you already had one!!! (K 7).

I am not certain how to proceed towards a K1.
03-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wife is mostly a phone shooter but she'll use my K-S2 when we walk around while I use the heavier K3 with grip which is perfect for my hands.

I've programmed U2 with her name and settings she likes.
03-23-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, my wife is much more results orientated than brand orientated, and more interested in convenience than control, so she lets me buy her cameras which are usually point and shoot of various brands over the years - but she knows I'm a committed Pentaxian and indulges me
03-23-2018, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

My wife isn't the photographer type. But she does, I think, approve of the fact that as a Pentaxian I'm making use of her late father's camera and lenses (mostly the lenses these days), rather than letting them rot. His A 50/2.0 and Vivitar 28/2.8 came to Australia with me this year, on my MX; I did not bring a dSLR.
03-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I am not sure my wife knows my cameras are Pentax. But she knows I have cameras. Until new camera looks more or less the same I can upgrade. But I cannot change Pentax K5II with KP (looks very different). So I am waiting for new APC-S having a hope it will resemble K5II.
I am in the same position