Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once bought a K2DMD and she whined, “I want a cool Pentax camera too.” Later I bought a Nikon FE2, just to see what was different. She said, “I thought you only did Pentax.” She tolerates the collection.

She has never cared where the image comes from as long as it is “bright and focused”. She has an Optio A10 and Q/02 in a drawer somewhere, exclusively iPhone now. I haven’t seen either camera in years.

Likewise, while I am perfectly happy to rent a truck and transport home her latest antique treasure found at an estate auction, I have no interest in the finer points of, for instance, period New England Queen Anne side chairs or studying Albert M. Sack’s “Guide to Early American Furniture”.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2018 at 07:46 AM.
03-23-2018, 04:53 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My girlfriend of many years now couldn't care less about photography or brands - really kinda a bummer (should I even keep her?... )

But when a good friend at work realized I love Pentax, his reaction was, "wow, that's high end stuff!"

So, I'm buying my buddy a beer, but not so sure about my GF
03-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She likes the pretty pictures. Her thing is spinning fibers, weaving, sewing and embroidery sewing machines. House is full of weaving looms, spinning wheels and sewing machines of various types. If your spouse wants to learn the weave and really gets into it, just buy them a warehouse and let them have at it.
03-23-2018, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

My husband and I are very reasonable people. He's aware that I love the romance of supporting a brand that's not mainstream, and anyone that talks to me knows that, not only do I enjoy photography and cameras, I love PENTAX cameras specifically. I'm geeky enough and can speak technically enough that people (rightfully!) assume that I know what I'm talking about, and that lends significant credibility to my brand choice... And if my speaking about the hobby fails, I hope the photographs I make with my Pentax gear can speak for themselves...

Short of persuading artistic and technical appreciation from my husband, my camera expense budget is totally transparent and all my bodies, lenses, and accessories are on prominent display, so he at least knows how much I've sunk in the hobby. ;-)

Meanwhile, he snaps any and all photos with his smart phone and has no interest in holding a camera - especially not one of my "big, expensive" ones.

03-23-2018, 05:39 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

I think it would be hard for my GF to care less about camera brands or camera models or camera types. A few times she has made attempts to take up photography (and is free to use anything I have) but in the end is content with looking at my photos and telling me what I've done wrong. Having enhanced her critiquing skills through the tears of art school, the annoying thing is she's usually right.
03-23-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
telling me what I've done wrong.
When I was dating after my first divorce one woman I went out with told me she was a great photographer.

I said "Where can I see some of your pictures."
"I don't have any"
"Why not?"
"My ex took them"
"Really?"
"Well, he actually took them , I but I stood beside him and told him what to take."

There was no second date.

Tess loves my Pentax gear. She basically stole my first K-5, then my Tamron 90, now she has her grabby little fingers into my 28-105. Having a significant other who deons't have an interest in photography can be a good thing. Every now and then someone on here critcizes my post processing. They don't realize I've already heard it from Tess.
03-23-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
She said, that it was easier to take good shots with Nikon.

She has a good eye, but no interest to learn the camera, or any part of serious photography, and anything in the menus... Anything but program dial, power switch and shutter button is left untouched. Nikon had less program modes, but they were on dial, so she used them. On Pentax she only use auto mode thought I've tried to teach her. I think she has not touched Pentax in two years now. She prefers her iPhone over my cameras.

She knows me and is a bit worried on how much gear I will gather, but enjoys the work I produce, so doesn't stop me from acquiring stuff when I can rationalize the purchase and budget allows. K1ii approved*. Now I only need to find the right time to purchase it
I have about a year left in my project with APSC, so not in the hurry, but you gotta start selling the idea early enough, so it doesn't come as a surprise

03-23-2018, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I was dating after my first divorce one woman I went out with told me she was a great photographer.

I said "Where can I see some of your pictures."
"I don't have any"
"Why not?"
"My ex took them"
"Really?"
"Well, he actually took them , I but I stood beside him and told him what to take."

There was no second date.
Fortunately nothing so hands on! She definitely points things out or actually brings me things I'll be interested in (caterpillars, moths, fungus, etc), but she knows well enough that I don't take direction well, nor do I respond to demands to photograph a given thing. They are met with me handing over the camera.

We started living together midway through her art education and also had a couple of her classmates cycle through as roommates. I was often drawn into their critiquing sessions, it was pretty invaluable.
03-23-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

She likes the controls of her K-r + 17-50 Tamron or the DA L 35/2.4 and the 55-300 better than her cousin's Nikon D700 . She is results oriented too.
03-23-2018, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my husband uses pentax because I use pentax and I am his source of how to do x...he loves his cameras!!!
03-23-2018, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Unregistered User

She tolerates my enthusiasms, although she did raise an eyebrow when I got my fourth Q-series body.
03-23-2018, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What does your significant other think of the Pentax camera brand?
She trusts me in regard to the brand, enjoys using the camera and trusting its weather sealing, and that's about it. She des know why I chose Pentax, agrees with me, and thinks the pictures look fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Have you bought ANOTHER Camera? (K5 IIs) I thought you already had one!!! (K 7).

I am not certain how to proceed towards a K1.
Easy : sell the K-7 and get a K-1. Numbers are close, after all!
03-23-2018, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my wife doesn't care about the brand but she's very intimidated by it and won't user it (K-1). She sticks with her phone or my secondary camera, an Olympus mirror less.
03-23-2018, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

My wife has a fondness for Leica and Polaroid, and old 16mm/Super8 gear. For digital she primarily uses her I-phone these days but
has no interest in post production. She turns over her needs for product photography to me, but otherwise is capable and creative with
her I-phone and sporadic film usage. She respects my passion for Pentax and modern digital gear. She is also extremely tolerant of
my LBA. If anything, she is a far worse accumulator than I am.
03-23-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I'm married to someone who shoots exclusively with her phone, and doesn't much care about equipment - but humors me with mine, and keeps some track of what I've collected and what some of the differences are. She has said she thinks the Q is ... I think the word she used was, adorable. I don't know that she gets the brand loyalty part, but that's loosened up in the last couple of years anyway as I've picked up some compacts from different manufacturers.

Gratifyingly, when I'm considering a purchase, she likes to get involved and ask me about features; so she knows, or knew at one time, about pixel shift on the K3ii, the sweet bokeh of the FA31, and the fun perspective effects possible with the DA15.