Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2018, 06:34 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Focus adjust on the Pentax 07 shield lens

I searched but could not find anyone else who had done what I was thinking and so this morning went ahead and did it myself. I like the Q’s body cap lens for its toy camera charms with instant low fi blurred edges, but only disliked how it was fixed focused just too close for me to be able to use it more often.

Happy to report I found it is very simple to get the Pentax 07 Shield Lens to focus a little further away than it did out of the box.
Just take it apart and wiggle out the 1 lens just a tiny bit out from its housing and you are done. The lens is held in place by 3 segments of rubbery material that grips it to the plastic housing. Incidentally I saw a lot of fine dust had collected in my lens trapped between the lens body and the glass so removed it entirely for a wipe down before reinstalling except with an added fraction of a mm away from being fully pressed down into the housing the way it was originally installed. The lens seated closer to the sensor can now focus further away even to infinity! If I need to focus closer again, I can just partially twist unmount the lens from the Q body to add back a little distance between the lens and the sensor for the opposite effect. Sample photos to come.

03-30-2018, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've answered a question I've wondered about for awhile. Was thinking about getting a Shield Mount lens to experiment on. Got side tracked trying to adapt a 4 element f2.8 lens as a Q pancake. Now I have to look into getting a Shield Mount lens. Thanks for the work you put into this and for sharing the info.

Please post some shots with this combo.
Thanks,
barondla
03-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Can you elaborate on the taking it apart part?
03-30-2018, 08:40 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just take out the 3 outer screws to disassemble.
Confirmed that far focus is working on my 07 after this mornings mod

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picture turned out far better than anticipated! Looks like you barely moved the element back. Have to wonder why Pentax doesn't build it this way? Or even add an extra element and really improve things. Gotta try this.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
03-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
now, off to buy a new lens! liked and much appreciated!
03-31-2018, 12:36 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More snapshots from this nice sunny morning taken with my hacked for far focussing 07 shield lens on an original Q body.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Is it hard to keep it straight? Although now I'm thinking if you put in in there slightly cock-eyed that might be interesting to get more of a tilt-shift effect.

So how close DOES it focus now? The 07 can be gotten for less that $30 these days -- I could get another one so I could have one altered, one non-altered. I like the close ability, but I like this idea also. I'm surprised it doesn't focus to infinity already, or maybe it is actually supposed to? I thought it would have fixed focused at hyperfocal distance. (I just got mine a week ago, have only tried it indoors.)
03-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi, can you confirm what’s the focus range of your 07 now? 5 ft(?) to infinity?

Thanks,
03-31-2018, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, sources say normal range is from .3m to about 2m. Last week I was waiting for my 08 wide to come from Japan, and went on Amazon to buy the third-party hood for it and I saw that this thing was only $27 so I bought it on a whim. Now I'm going to end up with two of them. Geez...
03-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, sources say normal range is from .3m to about 2m. Last week I was waiting for my 08 wide to come from Japan, and went on Amazon to buy the third-party hood for it and I saw that this thing was only $27 so I bought it on a whim. Now I'm going to end up with two of them. Geez...
I’m using a “de-glassed” 49 mm UV filter for the 08 as a cheap “hood”. I tried adding another ring, but it already exhibits vignetting at the corners on the second. Two $30 lens ain’t that bad
03-31-2018, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have good enough infinity a the center but not so sure what the minimum focus distance is yet. At a guess it’s beyond around 6m but don’t hold me to it.
Noticed that there is some doughnut focus going on at less than 6m: center softness vs the area around it that can look sharper before obviously going very blurry again at the outer edges of the frame.

Remember folks we are working with a toy lens for fun use, so bridle your expectations to within sensible parameters and you should be happy.

If I need closer and broader center focus, I can free lens it.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Is it hard to keep it straight? Although now I'm thinking if you put in in there slightly cock-eyed that might be interesting to get more of a tilt-shift effect.
Not sure my glass is in straight but a given as I spent only 10min for the mod start to finish.
If you want it perfectly aligned I think it’s doable. Just spend a bit more time on it.

I feel like I made a small breakthrough or something with this simple lens hack.

Looking forward to seeing the results of those modifying their 07 lens 😀
03-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2old4toys, since the lens is pushed back towards sensor, it appears there is less holding it in the shield mount body. Do you feel it still fits tight enough that the glass won't fall back into the camera?
Thanks,
barondla
04-01-2018, 03:28 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
2old4toys, since the lens is pushed back towards sensor, it appears there is less holding it in the shield mount body. Do you feel it still fits tight enough that the glass won't fall back into the camera?
Thanks,
barondla
The photo below illustrates up close how it looked just before I reassembled the lens. The glass is held by friction just lifted slightly outside of being flush with the housing. Note because I did not know what I was doing, I’d entirely removed 2 out of the 3 translucent rubber segments (glue?) that originally held the lens in place. My 1st impression was I needed to brake them to free the glass element to reach the dust that had gotten in through the front hole. If I could do it again I would try to lift the lens out without destroying any of the rubber bits. Might be possible.
Only one of my rubbery segments remains bonded to the side of the element but sufficient enough to keep the glass where I want it. Could dab some thread lock in place to semi cement it semi-permanently in place but see no need right now.

If there is further interest I can make an explanatory video.
Attached Images

04-01-2018, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
The photo below illustrates up close how it looked just before I reassembled the lens. The glass is held by friction just lifted slightly outside of being flush with the housing. Note because I did not know what I was doing, I’d entirely removed 2 out of the 3 translucent rubber segments (glue?) that originally held the lens in place. My 1st impression was I needed to brake them to free the glass element to reach the dust that had gotten in through the front hole. If I could do it again I would try to lift the lens out without destroying any of the rubber bits. Might be possible.
Only one of my rubbery segments remains bonded to the side of the element but sufficient enough to keep the glass where I want it. Could dab some thread lock in place to semi cement it semi-permanently in place but see no need right now.

If there is further interest I can make an explanatory video.
I tried to make an post, now I try to answer instead:
Interesting, I guess it's tricky to insert the lens so you might get the sharpness to the left (or right).
Went out yesterday and tried 07, took some pictures where a lensbaby probably had been better (no experience of it).
The driver worked well with 07.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
  Photo