Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Went out yesterday and tried 07, took some pictures where a lensbaby probably had been better (no experience of it).
2old4toys' idea might indirectly give more lensbaby-like capability - like, if you can shoot with your subject further away, it means more situations where you can compose with a later crop in mind, so moving the focus point. Anyway this thread finally prompted me to order an 07, so I'll find out after the slow boat from Japan arrives.

04-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I'm going to buy another one. Somehow, now I begin to understand why Pentax fixed the "sharp" focus to around 4 to 6 feet. Still, 07-infinity is still too good to pass up especially at current prices.
04-02-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I think I'm going to buy another one. Somehow, now I begin to understand why Pentax fixed the "sharp" focus to around 4 to 6 feet. Still, 07-infinity is still too good to pass up especially at current prices.
I appreciate the out-of-the-factory close focus of the 07 as being on purpose as the resulting blur of backgrounds can be awesome but now with a bit of hacking we have a choice to adjust the focus zone to our own liking.

I modified my 07 so in addition to far focusing when tightly fully mounted, a small twist will click the lens body into a 2nd position slightly further away from the sensor allowing for a closer focus zone and very mild tilt shifting without risk of the lens accidentally falling off the Q body. Pics to demo later.

Also I finally added a tiny dab of hot glue to secure the glass element into the housing as I am happy with the position now. Before that, I was a little paranoid that a sharp jolt in my camera bag could potentially knock it loose. Don’t want that!
04-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A good reference point of 07 Shield photos that make great creative use of the short focus 07 Mount Shield Lens | Flickr

04-05-2018, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Made a video to show the difference between far focus when fully mounted and the added click for switching to a closer focus zone.
04-05-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Made a video to show the difference between far focus when fully mounted and the added click for switching to a closer focus zone.
Pentax Q hacked 07 Mount Shield Lens modified focus adjustable focus zones - YouTube
Interesting solution ... I'll try it on my Q-S1 and I'll tell you
04-06-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Simply bored a new hole on the lens body to get a second click for a secure closer focus with the 07. See green arrow in the image below.

Attached Images

04-06-2018, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Simply bored a new hole on the lens body to get a second click for a secure closer focus with the 07. See green arrow in the image below.
Just curious, is anything functionally lost when the electrical contacts between the lens and the body are disengaged? Maybe just some EXIF fields?
04-06-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Just curious, is anything functionally lost when the electrical contacts between the lens and the body are disengaged? Maybe just some EXIF fields?
Correct! There is no EXIF data unless you have the lens fully mounted.
04-22-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #25

This is awesome! And the second hole for an adjustable focus is brilliant! I'm hoping to try this mod out on my lens soon. Thanks for R&Ding this 2old4toys!
04-26-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Hrmmmm.... I must be missing something obvious here. I can't get the lens element to budge no matter what I do. I couldn't find a pry point that worked, and have now gone so far as to entirely chip away all three of the glue segments. Still nothing. How do you "lift" the element out? I guess the next step might be to try to push it out from the other side, through the iris hole, but I have every expectation of scratching it if I do that.

Was I just unlucky enough to encounter one assembled with ultra-atomic-bond™?

---- edited to add ----

Got it out. I ended up cutting out a notch in the plastic body under one of the three slots where the glue had been, and prying up from there. Of course then the element popped completely out and I can't tell which side is supposed to be up for it, if it's not actually symmetrical. Now the fun starts...

Last edited by Sluggo; 04-26-2018 at 12:35 PM.
05-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hrmmmm.... I must be missing something obvious here. I can't get the lens element to budge no matter what I do. I couldn't find a pry point that worked, and have now gone so far as to entirely chip away all three of the glue segments. Still nothing. How do you "lift" the element out? I guess the next step might be to try to push it out from the other side, through the iris hole, but I have every expectation of scratching it if I do that.

Was I just unlucky enough to encounter one assembled with ultra-atomic-bond™?

---- edited to add ----

Got it out. I ended up cutting out a notch in the plastic body under one of the three slots where the glue had been, and prying up from there. Of course then the element popped completely out and I can't tell which side is supposed to be up for it, if it's not actually symmetrical. Now the fun starts...
So how is it going for you?
05-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

So how is it going for you?

Unfortunately I got quite sick a few days ago, and haven't felt like shooting or experimenting (or really doing much of anything) since then. I can say that last I tried with the 07, I couldn't manage center focus regardless of distance, so I suspect I may have damaged the element, or maybe it's in there backwards. Or maybe I just need to experiment more with moving it around. I'm rather a klutz mechanically, so it is vitally important that anything I take apart be inexpensive to start with. Happily, this item qualifies. :-) I'll post again when I've been able to get back into it.
05-02-2018, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can say that last I tried with the 07, I couldn't manage center focus regardless of distance, so I suspect I may have damaged the element, or maybe it's in there backwards. Or maybe I just need to experiment more with moving it around. I'm rather a klutz mechanically, so it is vitally important that anything I take apart be inexpensive to start with. Happily, this item qualifies. :-) I'll post again when I've been able to get back into it.
Hope you get back to 100% health soon.

I never inserted the element backwards before so can’t answer if that is the issue. Mine is backed out just a tiny bit, nothing drastic. I have good center sharpness from what I see.

Simplest suggestion is that you push it all the way in again, just as it was before and see if the center sharpness (and everything else) is back to how it looked out of the factory. If not and you tried the same with the lens inserted both ways then perhaps, as you said, you really did damage the element center when it popped out. That’d be a bummer.

Keep us posted.
05-06-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I never inserted the element backwards before so can’t answer if that is the issue.
Looks like that was my problem. I turned it around and pressed it further in, and it is "focusing" correctly now, though maybe a bit decentered, so to speak. I probably have it a little tilted in there. Anyway I think nothing's damaged. More experimenting to come.

(By the way: here's a cross-eye 3D version of the same scene, for those who are into that sort of thing. The 07 is pretty interesting as a stereography lens.)