Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Q and 55-300 PLM?

The KAF4 mount doesn't seem to have an aperture lever, does that mean it can't be stopped down with the official Pentax adapter? I am about to buy a WR 55-300 but, it looks like I need the non-PLM if I want to use it occasionally with the Q.

04-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CheepShot Quote
The KAF4 mount doesn't seem to have an aperture lever, does that mean it can't be stopped down with the official Pentax adapter?
That's correct. Also, the the lens needs power in order to be able to focus (manually), so it would pretty much be useless when adapted.

Still consider if it's worth sacrificing that ultra fast AF for adaptability.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's correct. Also, the the lens needs power in order to be able to focus (manually), so it would pretty much be useless when adapted.

Still consider if it's worth sacrificing that ultra fast AF for adaptability.
Thanks! Tough decision.
04-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! Tough decision.
The WR 55-300 was a great lens for what it cost me. I would totally go that way. The screw drive can be loud though, so that might be a consideration. It didn't bother me much though. Only when trying to shoot birds was it ever really a noticeable issue. In that case I just prefocused and tapped the AF to lock it in. The speed on that lens on screw drive and a K-3 easily crushes my 60-250 into the dust. The 60-250 is painfully slow at times. I gotta be honest. I don't think you will get super great results from the 55-300 and the Q. The 55-300 is pretty sharp, but not really on the level of the 60-250 which, wide open is also not ultra sharp, but very, very usable for portraits. I liked the 60-250 wide open more than the 55-300 which will run into diffraction at the long end on the Q wide open. I know this muddies the water but it seems that only the best primes really are passable on the Q adapter. The results I have seen from zooms were generally less than stellar.

04-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
The WR 55-300 was a great lens for what it cost me. I would totally go that way. The screw drive can be loud though, so that might be a consideration. It didn't bother me much though. Only when trying to shoot birds was it ever really a noticeable issue. In that case I just prefocused and tapped the AF to lock it in. The speed on that lens on screw drive and a K-3 easily crushes my 60-250 into the dust. The 60-250 is painfully slow at times. I gotta be honest. I don't think you will get super great results from the 55-300 and the Q. The 55-300 is pretty sharp, but not really on the level of the 60-250 which, wide open is also not ultra sharp, but very, very usable for portraits. I liked the 60-250 wide open more than the 55-300 which will run into diffraction at the long end on the Q wide open. I know this muddies the water but it seems that only the best primes really are passable on the Q adapter. The results I have seen from zooms were generally less than stellar.
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably buy the PLM and keep watching for a 300mm DA.

04-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

The KAF4 mount doesn't seem to have an aperture lever, does that mean it can't be stopped down with the official Pentax adapter? I am about to buy a WR 55-300 but, it looks like I need the non-PLM if I want to use it occasionally with the Q.
When I first got my Q-7 three years ago, I did some backyard testing with five different lenses, lenses I had acquired over the years that all went to 300mm. Based on that testing, I ended up using the Sigma lens with my Q-7 and the Pentax WR lens with my K-30. A Q-mount camera and a K-mount camera make different demands on a lens, so we really shouldn't expect one lens to be best in both settings. Apart from being willing to use two different lenses, you may have to be willing to compromise.

Of course, the best solution would be a native Q-mount 55-300mm lens, but I've given up hope on that one.
04-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I first got my Q-7 three years ago, I did some backyard testing with five different lenses, lenses I had acquired over the years that all went to 300mm. Based on that testing, I ended up using the Sigma lens with my Q-7 and the Pentax WR lens with my K-30. A Q-mount camera and a K-mount camera make different demands on a lens, so we really shouldn't expect one lens to be best in both settings. Apart from being willing to use two different lenses, you may have to be willing to compromise.

Of course, the best solution would be a native Q-mount 55-300mm lens, but I've given up hope on that one.
Which Sigma were you using with the Q?
04-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Which Sigma were you using with the Q?
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG