Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Shutter release cable for Q?

Thinking of DIY ideas for improving the Q’s infrared remote functionality. I found pointing my current IR remote at the Q from a couple of feet away to be a little hit or miss when aiming at the rear sensor window. I mostly would shoot from behind. Want something more reliable. Intend to base it off a different 3rd party IR remote with dedicated focus and shutter release buttons (my current one was a freebie single button remote). Maybe use a timer remote I have for DSLR for added time lapse flexibility as I find the Q’s integrated remote app a little tricky to interrupt when using short intervals such as 1-3 seconds.

1. Use audio optic fiber (with toslink connections perhaps) channeling the IR signal from the remote LED to the sensor on the camera body. Not sure how to get one end of the optical cable to line up with the IR sensor on the Q body though. Maybe mold something with Sugru like silicone putty.

2. Solder wires to extend the IR emitting LED off from the remote’s housing. The LED would need to be positioned near the IR sensor on the camera body somehow.

Just thinking aloud. Has anyone else tried this and can add feedback before I start working on it.

Cheers.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 04-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.
04-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I may be wrong. But I thought the Q only had a IR sensor in the front...
04-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
It's right above the +/- button.
04-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea 2old4toys. There might be an easier way. One of my Olympus has a wired remote that works thru the usb connector. I have read that the Q can actually tether with the proper program. So couldn't a wired usb remote be built? Sure would be nice!
Thanks,
barondla

04-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Yes, the Q designers had the amazing sense to put an IR receiver on the back as well as the front. However, for some odd reason, the rear one is given much less sensitivity - you have to be right up close for it to work reliably.

Why can't my K-01 have an IR sensor on the back - or any of the other SLRs for that matter?
04-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
It's right above the +/- button.
That's good to know! I nerver noticed it before. The windows is much smaller than the front one. Which may explain, at least in part, why it's less sensitive than the front one. But at least, it's there!
04-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Yes, the Q designers had the amazing sense to put an IR receiver on the back as well as the front. However, for some odd reason, the rear one is given much less sensitivity - you have to be right up close for it to work reliably.

Why can't my K-01 have an IR sensor on the back - or any of the other SLRs for that matter?
The Pentax K 7 DSLR has a remote sensor on the back.
Thanks,
barondla

04-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
1. Use audio optic fiber (with toslink connections perhaps) channeling the IR signal from the remote LED to the sensor on the camera body. Not sure how to get one end of the optical cable to line up with the IR sensor on the Q body though. Maybe mold something with Sugru like silicone putty.
Ive successfully used the optical fiber trick on a few cameras. Kind'a fiddly to get it right though but a flexible solution. A bent metal bracket fitting the flash shoe was used to position the fiber 'wire' in front of the IR receptor with the Q's. Could be done with bent copper wire originaling at the tripod fitting too.
04-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

If I'm not mistaken all the high-end Pentax DSLRs (e.g. K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5/ii/iis, K-3/ii, K-1/ii) have front and back remote sensors

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Ive successfully used the optical fiber trick on a few cameras. Kind'a fiddly to get it right though but a flexible solution. A bent metal bracket fitting the flash shoe was used to position the fiber 'wire' in front of the IR receptor with the Q's. Could be done with bent copper wire originaling at the tripod fitting too.
As I recall a few people have used a low tech solution of merely positioning a piece of white card before the front sensor and pointing the remote at the card from behind the camera.
04-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Great! An easily removable solution would be ideal. Wanting to keep the tripod mount free so doing something with the hotshoe is an open option.

04-07-2018, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nearly there as a proof of concept. Admittedly could be more elegant. Already like that I don’t need to raise my arm and consciously take sniper aim at the sensor each time to take a shot. Much more intuitive to me with just to click a physical button on the end of a wire. The membrane button on the 3rd party IR remote itself does not provide a good feel when engaged. A separate mechanical 2 stage shutter button on the end of a wire is certainly an improvement that instills greater confidence that good contact is made. Looking to refine the below with something more lightweight.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2old4toys; 04-07-2018 at 09:27 PM.
04-07-2018, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If I'm not mistaken all the high-end Pentax DSLRs (e.g. K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5/ii/iis, K-3/ii, K-1/ii) have front and back remote sensors
The rear sensor is a red filter; on the K-3 & K-1 it is just above the 4-way controller pad.
04-08-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Found a useful related article for wiring up a programmable remote for use with IR only cameras.

Some functionality works a little differently vs on a camera with a native wired remote support. Most importantly for IR remotes is that for bulb mode, we use 2 taps of the shutter button are needed, the 1st to start bulb mode and a 2nd to stop it.

creating a programmable remote shutter release for Pentax Kx | Sussex Photo

Last edited by 2old4toys; 04-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.
04-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Found a little plastic capsule-toy working mini anglepose white LED lamp. May wire it to a hotshoe for this project and replace the LED with an IR one so it can be shone at the front sensor.
Attached Images

04-18-2018, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #15

FYI .. I've taken my Q completely apart and there is only one sensor, in the front. What they did is run a short length of a clear plastic tube to the back so it can also pick up the IR signal.
In practice, only the front reliably fires the cam but still sometimes requires some "wrist action".