Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I really want one... just haven't been able to justify it for my m43 second system. Honestly I REALLY which there was an autofocus one available.

---------- Post added 05-28-18 at 11:00 AM ----------

I think it was awesome that the mount ring plus cap came out so perfect. How did you know that you would get infinity? Had you already measured that? It is a cute beasty.
I think there was only ever 1 AF Reflex mirror lens made my Sony/Minolta and they even discontinued that! But yes a modern small MFT AF mirror would be a unique selling point for ANY system.

For my hack job adaptor, I just held the lens in front of the sensor hole with the camera turned on. The lens was set at around the infinity focus marking. Just move the lens back and forth till I can see a sharpish image on the back of the camera. Lens was pointing towards a window.

From that, I could see how much space there was between the front of the camera and the back of the lens. That space roughly matches the thickness of an Olympus rear lens cap. It probably helps that the lens itself focuses beyond infinity so my adaptor thickness did not need to be so precise! For sure it can focus from around 0.8m to infinity when mounted on the Q same as it does mounted on my MFT camera. Maybe some luck was involved.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 05-29-2018 at 01:32 AM.
05-29-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
The very compact Tokina - Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro mirror lens designed specifically for MFT camera’s I just finished fashioning an adaptor for use with Pentax Q series cameras.

I have run out of photo space on the Pentax forum so had to blog for photo sharing.

Simply hacked an MFT rear lens cap with the metal mount from Q macro ring.

Sample images taken with this combo to come. 😃
I am 2Old4Toys!: DIY MFT to PQ adaptor and Pentax Q mirror lens project
I hope to see more fotos with this lens if possible. The flowers shots you have seem a bit soft or is that on purpose??
Thanks
05-29-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
I hope to see more fotos with this lens if possible. The flowers shots you have seem a bit soft or is that on purpose??
Thanks
Yes I will have more time with this later to get additional samples to share, but in advance it’s pretty normal/expectated that images from reflex mirror lenses deliver softer, less contrasty and adds wild doughnut bokeh vs what you will get from equivalent refractive lenses.

I’m not doing this for sharpness, but rather for the doughnuts! 🤣 so my aim to to get more shots that emphasizes on purpose the qualities of a mirror lens, that you don’t get on a “normal” lens.

That I managed to get this Tokina, quite operational on a Sony APSC eMount, a MFT camera (of course), and also working on my Q... it’s doughnuts for everyone! Bought used, I am certainly getting my money’s worth out of it 😃.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 05-29-2018 at 10:04 PM.
05-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #19
Forum Member

Yes I will have more time with this later to get additional samples to share, but in advance it’s pretty normal/expectated that images from reflex mirror lenses deliver softer, less contrasty and adds wild doughnut bokeh vs what you will get from equivalent refractive lenses.

I’m not doing this for sharpness, but rather for the doughnuts! 🤣 so my aim to to get more shots that emphasizes on purpose the qualities of a mirror lens, that you don’t get on a “normal” lens.

That I managed to get this Tokina, quite operational on a Sony APSC eMount, a MFT camera (of course), and also working on my Q... it’s doughnuts for everyone! Bought used, I am certainly getting my money’s worth out of it 😃.
Hi 2old4toys, thanks for quick reply, looking forward to see more of your fotos.
A quick question..Do you think this lens could be used for street photography or is the focusing too much of a problem and slow to use it for that purpose? I wouldn't use it all the time for these type of fotos but sometimes you really need to keep some distance between you and the subject??
Thanks

05-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi 2old4toys, thanks for quick reply, looking forward to see more of your fotos.
A quick question..Do you think this lens could be used for street photography or is the focusing too much of a problem and slow to use it for that purpose? I wouldn't use it all the time for these type of fotos but sometimes you really need to keep some distance between you and the subject??
Thanks
The street photo tradition is to use a mildly wide-angle lens, such as 35mm on a "FF" camera. 300mm on a "Q" gives the effect of over 1000mm on a "FF" camera, and photos would have a voyeuristic look to them, not the intimate look preferred by most for street photography.
05-30-2018, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks
My impressions are 300mm on a Q (1680mm equiv) would be too telephoto for street photography of head to foot people unless you position yourself at the end of a very long street or from a high vantage point. Not your conventional street photography lens at all even at full frame. I might give it a try it on a sunny day. Nobody would know you were taking a photo of them from so far away.

I found the following link https://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/09/10/first-impressions-tokina-reflex-...o-four-thirds/ for this lens on MFT that has many street photo samples you may be interested in!

My reference is to position my forefinger parallel to my eyes with my arm out stretched as far from my face as I can reach. The thickness of my finger is equivalent to the vertical frame height of a photo taken by the original Q using a lens at 300mm.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 05-31-2018 at 12:40 AM.
06-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #22
Forum Member

The very compact Tokina - Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro mirror lens designed specifically for MFT camera’s I just finished fashioning an adaptor for use with Pentax Q series cameras.

I have run out of photo space on the Pentax forum so had to blog for photo sharing.

Sample images taken with this combo to come. ��
Hi 2old4toys, I just picked up an Albinar 300mm f6.3 mirror lens new from ebay with a Panasonic Lumix mount. This was done after admiring your Tokina hack. My question is.....is your lens secure on the Q with the hacked plastic mount? I haven't gotten around to doing the hack yet, but it feels like the included rear lens cap doesn't really secure/lock down on the mirror lens?? It's like most rear lens caps...just there to protect the rear elements and twist off quickly when needed.

To me it seems kind of fragile and might twist off/loosen when you try to focus the lens (my lens is a little stiff on focusing). I understand that your Tokina is a better constructed, quality lens than the Albinar and may not have this situation.

Just wondering what your take is on my observations and if you did anything to tighten up the hacked mount onto the lens??

The Albinar lens is surprisingly well made for the price I paid (US$99.00), and the optics are OK with kind of low contrast, small f stop, etc. Compare this lens to a Pentax 300mm f4 lens big weight saving.

I borrowed a friend's Lumix to try it out. I'll keep it because I'm thinking of getting a Pana/Lumix MFT camera. Maybe I can tighten up the hacked mount. If I can get it to fit better this will be another "pentax toy lens"

06-09-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I think there was only ever 1 AF Reflex mirror lens made my Sony/Minolta and they even discontinued that! But yes a modern small MFT AF mirror would be a unique selling point for ANY system.

For my hack job adaptor, I just held the lens in front of the sensor hole with the camera turned on. The lens was set at around the infinity focus marking. Just move the lens back and forth till I can see a sharpish image on the back of the camera. Lens was pointing towards a window.

From that, I could see how much space there was between the front of the camera and the back of the lens. That space roughly matches the thickness of an Olympus rear lens cap. It probably helps that the lens itself focuses beyond infinity so my adaptor thickness did not need to be so precise! For sure it can focus from around 0.8m to infinity when mounted on the Q same as it does mounted on my MFT camera. Maybe some luck was involved.
I have a small mirror 300mm lens, but the adapter I purchased didn't work with it. I guess I should try the method of this post- attaching the rear cap to the adapter {Q half of the adapter does work}
06-10-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...is your lens secure on the Q with the hacked plastic mount? I haven't gotten around to doing the hack yet, but it feels like the included rear lens cap doesn't really secure/lock down on the mirror lens?? It's like most rear lens caps...just there to protect the rear elements and twist off quickly when needed.

To me it seems kind of fragile and might twist off/loosen when you try to focus the lens (my lens is a little stiff on focusing).

Just wondering what your take is on my observations and if you did anything to tighten up the hacked mount onto the lens??
Hi,
I have a handfull of various Olympus MFT lenses and I went through them all to find a cap that fitted most snugly on my Tokina. I don’t know why, but there was certainly some variation in fit and finish amongst the caps.

The cap I finally settled on sits pretty firmly on the Toknina and does not loosen when I am focusing but will come off with a just a bit more force when I want it to. If I ever need it to be even firmer still, a bit of tape added to shim between the cap and the metal MFT Mount would probably do it. I mentioned earlier, this mirror lens focuses beyond infinity so tiny adjustments in the adaptor thickness should not be an issue.

This Tokina Reflex is quite lightweight at less than 300g so not much stress on this adaptor but YMMV with other lenses.

My 1st version of the MFT to PQ adaptor used a third party plastic Q body cap. Although it works perfectly as a PQ adaptor for my experiment with a tiny CCTV C-S Mount lens that weighs next to nothing itself, I did not find it was sturdy enough for use with the Tokina. That is why I replaced the plastic PQ body cap with the metal PQ mount from a PQ macro ring assembly that is just perfect for the job.

Later I want to upgrade the plastic Olympus rear cap part of the adaptor. The next iteration will be making use of either the metal mount taken from an MFT macro ring, or a metal MFT to eMount adaptor ring I have. Both have the pin mechanism that will lock the MTF lens in place properly which is the ideal of course!

Keep me posted with your progress.

I so wish some company just made a simple MFT to PQ adaptor to buy! (At an affordable cost of course...)
06-10-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I so wish some company just made a simple MFT to PQ adaptor to buy! (At an affordable cost of course...)
If you have access to a 3D printer, you can buitd one yourself: M43 Lens to Pentax Q Adapter by charmlee - Thingiverse

Or you can buy one printed in white nylon from here: M43 To Pentax Q Adapter (5XEUW4YKH) by charmlee

Credit: Thingiverse/Chia-Ming Lee

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-11-2018, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
If you have access to a 3D printer, you can buitd one yourself: M43 Lens to Pentax Q Adapter by charmlee - Thingiverse

Or you can buy one printed in white nylon from here: M43 To Pentax Q Adapter (5XEUW4YKH) by charmlee

Credit: Thingiverse/Chia-Ming Lee

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thanks Abbazz
Adapter ordered.
Let's have fun again with the Q7! (My last bucks for it...I'll stack adapters)

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 04:31 PM ----------

Sample images taken with this combo to come. 😃
Bravo!
06-11-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote

Usually adapters are black. I wonder if having one made of white plastic would cause problems because of reflections.
06-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Usually adapters are black. I wonder if having one made of white plastic would cause problems because of reflections.
I guess I would paint the inside with mate black to prevent unwanted reflections.

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-11-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
Thanks Abbazz
Adapter ordered.
Pls feed back when you receive it!
Interested to know what MFT lens you intend to adapt to the Q 😃
06-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pls feed back when you receive it!
Interested to know what MFT lens you intend to adapt to the Q 😃
It would have to be a manual one. Most m43 lenses have electronically controlled focus and aperture. A few have aperture rings and manual focus, those should work.