Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2020, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #76
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Yup, was amazed to find Hong Kong has such scenery.

Finally back in the UK now and have access to my bargain yard sale 1000mm reflector scope for the 1st time. Took my 1st Q images today of the Sun and then Mars. Very excited.

Have a newb question, I took apart scope for cleaning and with the focuser was surprised to find a glass element at the bottom of it, could be a lens or a filter of some kind. I left it and without further stack shortening, found I could already rack focus to infinity to the Sun/ stars with my IR modified original Q.

Question for anyone who would know: Should I remove that glass in the focuser for sharper “prime” focus?

Can’t wait to shoot my 1st nebula on my Q.

Mars tonight, Pentax Q no cropping 1/100s ISO 1250
I'm not sure how I managed to miss your shot from Hong Kong, it's a great land/star scape!

Concerning your scope, if the telescope tube length is significantly shorter than the nominal focal length of 1000mm, I'd say it's a Bird-Jones type telescope, i.e. a scope with a spherical mirror of shorter focal length, probably 500mm, and a built-in barlow (teleconverter) to achieve the nominal focal length.

But I don't know whether or not you should remove it, I think you should try it on your own to conclusively say anything.

09-28-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #77

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q & Q10 : IR-cut Filter Removal !

Given how Hong Kong has less than ideal conditions, as a novice 1st timer, I am pretty chuffed with this early result. Can make out the Milky Way from the raw file, shot with my Pentax Q-S1 and 02 standard zoom at its widest. ISO400, 30 second exposure aided by the Sightron nano.tracker.
Wow !... Impressive Landscape under the Milky-Way !
... Was your Q-S1 w/o IR-cut filter or the night Not 100% Dark, or both ?
Is this place lit by the Light-Pollution ?

Finally back in the UK now and have access to my bargain yard sale 1000mm reflector scope for the 1st time. Took my 1st Q images today of the Sun and then Mars. Very excited.
Have a newb question, I took apart scope for cleaning and with the focuser was surprised to find a Glass Element at the bottom of it, could be a lens or a filter of some kind. I left it and without further stack shortening, found I could already rack focus to infinity to the Sun/ stars with my IR modified original Q.
Question for anyone who would know :Should I remove that glass in the focuser for sharper “prime” focus ?
Is your scope a 1000mm Pure Reflector : Tube Length = ~900 mm~
... or some kind of " Catadioptric " Scope with Lenses in the focuser = Short-Tube ?
Catadioptric Reflector with Lenses in the focuser - Google Search

/!\ the Glass Element in the Focuser could be :
- some kind of Barlow Lens, could be Removed if you lengthen the tube ?
- some kind of Corrector that allows the use of a Spherical Mirror instead of a Parabolic one...
if you remove this Corrector, image borders will be blurred !
I hope it's Not one of these :
Black list of telescopes. Bad telescopes not for beginner

Tasco Galxsee 144500 Corrector ?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/369368-pentax-q-astrophotog...ml#post4931112
it's not said that it has that Spherical Primary Mirror, so...
you still get one chance...

I wasted all the summer nights installing my Astro Gear in the yard of the building...
... and once everything was Well Settled and Ready for Astro-Photo...
the Clouds were Filling the sky from ~10 PM to ~2 AM !
angry with all these climate skeptics

Nebulosity-Map history, location SE Marseille :
https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/nebu.php
some clear skies near the Full-Moon

So I came back to my site and completed some useful infos
1"25 Astro Filters inside Pentax K2Q Adapter
= how about 1"25 Filters in the Pentax K2Q adapter

Not even 1 astro-photo to post !

Last edited by geo444; 09-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
12-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Nice thread :-)

I just got a 6in f8 Dobsonian
Rather like to get the Q and the K-01 on board
I'm planning to make an eq platform.
I just stuck on a new focuser and it is slightly too short to gain ep focus...
No idea what that means for camera fitting !
More Barlow, less Barlow, just ext tubes ?
My mind sort of goes blank with optics...

What are the best options for getting the Q7 to T adapter?
I'm sure there are more than one ways !
12-03-2020, 12:48 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think that Q/C-mount adapter plus C-mount/1,25" adapter is the most common option.

12-03-2020, 04:44 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot !
12-03-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #81
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Transit, congrats for your new scope! 6" F8 (that's 1200mm focal length) is great, make sure to share your results (photos as well as eq mount setup, that would be one heck of a mount)!

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I just stuck on a new focuser and it is slightly too short to gain ep focus...
Since you think the tube is too short, I assume that you can achieve a good focus visually when you slightly pull the eyepiece out of the focuser tube. If that's the case, most likely you're good.

Once you get Q to C and C to 1.25" adapter, I recommend that you first try to see if prime focus (no eyepiece, no barlow) works. It might just work, but if the focuser tube still seems to be too short, buy C-mount extension tubes and insert one (or more) between the Q to C adapter and C to 1.25" adapter.
They usually sell these tubes as a set of 3 or 4 pieces, e.g. amazon.com : Evertech 5pcs 5mm Camera C-Mount Lens Adapter Ring Extension Tube C to CS Mount Lens Black Aliminum Adapter for Most Types of CCTV Security Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

For K mount cameras, usually prime focus on Dobs won't work, barlow gives you some wiggle room.
12-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Thanks kwb very helpful !
Hope to make an equatorial platform, old furniture maker so should be easy enough.

02-24-2021, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The moon detail with Gassendi, Copernicus and Erastothenes craters (most impressive craters - left to right), Montes Riphaeus, Montes Carpatus and Montes Apeninus.
This was made with Bresser-Messier Ar 102 - 102/1000 refractor (1000 mm FL, f 9.8, ISO 400, 1/200 s, 6 frames, only, stacked in Sequator). It seems this is very good match as these are just baby steps with much room for improvement. Moreover both telescope and my Q are white

Crossposted to "Let's share..." thread.
02-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote

The moon detail with Gassendi, Copernicus and Erastothenes craters (most impressive craters - left to right), Montes Riphaeus, Montes Carpatus and Montes Apeninus.
This was made with Bresser-Messier Ar 102 - 102/1000 refractor (1000 mm FL, f 9.8, ISO 400, 1/200 s, 6 frames, only, stacked in Sequator). It seems this is very good match as these are just baby steps with much room for improvement. Moreover both telescope and my Q are white

Super closeup! Can't wait to see more pics.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
02-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #85
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote

That's great, really promising!

You should post the picture of your white Q on white telescope!