Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree the image quality with adapted telephotos on the Q is lower than that achievable with a high quality super telephoto on a larger format, but sometimes the latter option is simply not available.

Case in point: you're not allowed to take "real" cameras into Adelaide Oval. With the Q7 and 01 lens proudly hung over my shoulder and the DFA100WR and adaptor stashed discretely in a small bag I was able to get shots like this from halfway up in the grandstand.

Ashes day 3

Sure, it won't make the cover of Sports Illustrated, but you won't do much better without a press pass.
Good point, and even better photo!

07-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I find my Hoodman clone to be essential - only with it can I see well enough to focus.
I find the 60-250 to be essential. I can find my subject then keep them in the frame when zooming in. With a lens that long it's just impossible to even find birds if I start at full reach.
07-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I find the 60-250 to be essential. I can find my subject then keep them in the frame when zooming in. With a lens that long it's just impossible to even find birds if I start at full reach.
You've just made another compelling case for the DFA150-450.

Curse you
07-16-2018, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q w/adapted tele is much better with still wildlife than moving, no argument. This bothers some people. Doesn't bother me. I'm getting nonmoving wildlife images that I couldn't with my bigger cameras.

The greater working distance allows capturing animals without affecting their natural behavior. I have seen animals become unnerved looking at the front element of the 350 f2.8. They must interpret it as a giant eye. Camouflaging the lens barrel doesn't solve this problem. The Q w/Pentax DA*300 never has the same affect on animals.

I rarely use a lcd screen magnifier, find the 4x screen magnify plenty good. Always, always use a red dot finder.

The Q can get you some great wildlife photos. It just takes practice. It is fun.
Thanks,
barondla

07-17-2018, 05:01 AM   #35
Pentaxian

You've just made another compelling case for the DFA150-450.

Curse you
For use with a Q? My guess is it would be pretty good, but ƒ5.6 is in pretty good diffraction territory for a small sensor. ƒ4 can be good.
07-17-2018, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For use with a Q?
No. The DA*300 is perfect on the Q - anything longer would be ridiculous, and as you say, f/4.0 with a sharp centre is the sweet spot.

I meant the idea of a super telephoto zoom to aid framing from the short end rather than struggling to find your subject with a prime.
07-17-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even with the extra diffraction, the original Q and DA*300 are sharper at f5.6. The combo is very good at f4.
Thanks,
barondla

07-17-2018, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Case in point: you're not allowed to take "real" cameras into Adelaide Oval. With the Q7 and 01 lens proudly hung over my shoulder and the DFA100WR and adaptor stashed discretely in a small bag I was able to get shots like this from halfway up in the grandstand.
Well, I'd say this is what might be called "the money shot". Given that my LBA has also resulted in a copy of the DFA 100 WR in my kit, the thought of having an effective focal length of 460mm in something as small as that lens performing as well as you have shown was too much to resist. I ordered an adapter from B&H last night.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
07-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Even with the extra diffraction, the original Q and DA*300 are sharper at f5.6. The combo is very good at f4.
Thanks,
barondla
I've often eyeballed the DA*300, but since I already have the DFA 150-450, I haven't gone for it. I'm now wondering if this might be a worthy addition to the collection. I see a lot of great shots with this lens and people seem to love it. I'll have to play with my DA* 60-250 and 150-450 first, but this sounds like if I get into using the Q-S1 as you describe, it might be hard to resist.
07-17-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just wanted to extend a thanks again to everyone who has provided feedback on this thread. I feel like everyone has posted something that has helped me muddle through this. Appreciate it!

I'd say keep any more thoughts on this adapter and cool things to do with it coming. All good stuff.

And yes, I know I could combine posts, but what would be the point in that with a count we need to hit for the next giveaway?

07-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Don't buy the tripod foot from a US seller. They'll charge you like $90...Get it from eBay...

Camera Genuine Pentax Tripod Mount For K-Mount & Adapter Q 38100 MA 4549212218385 | eBay
List price At Pentax Parts Dept. (when they had one) was $45 shipped.

.:
07-17-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clickclick, congrats on getting the oem adapter. With your lenses it is silly not to own a Q and Pentax adapter. Both cost about what a good Pentax teleconverter does.

Someone tested the 60-250 vs 300 on the Q. The 300 was only very slightly better. Doubt I would buy the 300 if I already owned the zoom. Unless the slightly greater reach is important. Haven't heard about the longer Pentax zoom with Q.

On my tablet, posting too soon automatically combines posts without my approval.

Thanks,
barondla
07-17-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #43
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
List price At Pentax Parts Dept. (when they had one) was $45 shipped.
.:
Price at Japanese Pentax online store is JPY3066 including tax, which is like $27, and it's just a bit lower than free-shipping threshold so you pay shipping (probably 5 bucks or so if you live in Tokyo or surrounding area).
?????K?????????????Q?????: ???????? | RICOH IMAGING
So $90 would be outrageous, maybe $45 isn't (though still expensive) considering little demand in US.

But I'm planning to buy one when I go to Japan next week , Bic Camera sells it at about $19 including tax though they say they only have small number in stock.
07-17-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Price at Japanese Pentax online store is JPY3066 including tax, which is like $27, and it's just a bit lower than free-shipping threshold so you pay shipping (probably 5 bucks or so if you live in Tokyo or surrounding area).
?????K?????????????Q?????: ???????? | RICOH IMAGING
So $90 would be outrageous, maybe $45 isn't (though still expensive) considering little demand in US.

But I'm planning to buy one when I go to Japan next week , Bic Camera sells it at about $19 including tax though they say they only have small number in stock.
I bought mine in 2013 I think from Pentax here. Dealing direct by telephone with a real person employed by Pentax was certainly different than eBay which was not so commonly available then. I think the markup covered the costs of supporting the North America distributor.

.:
07-17-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bought mine in 2013 I think from Pentax here. Dealing direct by telephone with a real person employed by Pentax was certainly different than eBay which was not so commonly available then. I think the markup covered the costs of supporting the North America distributor.

.:
I hope I am not the only one who would gladly pay a little more to have a NA distributor.