Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses - is really worth it? ($200)

My GAS finally got the better of me, and a Q-S1 with the standard 02 zoom is headed my direction. I'm now finding myself pondering the Pentax Q to K mount lens adapter. On one hand, I don't see how I can not purchase it, but on the flip side, I wonder if it really makes sense? I have a K3II and a suite of nice lenses to go with it, including the DFA 150-450, Takumar 4.5/500, and DA* 60-250. So, am I just wasting $200 bucks to buy one of these adapters to mount one of these lenses, or is this something I must have given that I already have these lenses? And to throw into the mix, I have a Sony a6000 with matching 16-50 and 55-210 lenses as my "small" kit I literally carry everywhere, so from the angle of a smaller high resolution mirrorless body I can also use with the aforementioned lenses (already have an adapter with aperture control), I'm already there. So, this is where I'm looking for the insanity check that yes, despite all the other options I currently own, how could one not buy one of the last of this stock while it's even possible? If I'm not making sense and seem to be babbling, I'm blaming it on being overcome by advanced stages of GAS and LBA.

Thanks

07-15-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one. Used it for a while on my Q-7. Was not impressed - sold it. Now I only use my Q-7 with Q lenses.
07-15-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you plan to use adapted lenses, and have a use for that, then I'd say the Pentax adapter is worth it, as it's a pretty nice adapter. Personally I found telephoto shooting with the Q to not handle very well, though, but YMMV.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm getting the sense that it might be worth experimenting with one of the inexpensive ones first.

What are the real benefits of the leaf shutter/will it really make a difference? I'm thinking you're not going to track fast moving subjects with a really long lens, so the benefits of not having a rolling shutter effect won't really be there, or is it something you really do want for the shutter speeds you will need?

07-15-2018, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I have the expensive Q to K adapter and it is indeed nice. And yes, the leaf shutter does make a difference. The rolling
shutter at 1/13s can produce noticeable trailing when hand holding any longish lens, even with still subjects. And, of course,
almost any 35mm lens is a long lens on the Q.

That said, I do think it's perhaps worthwhile to first get an inexpensive adapter to determine if you like shooting with
adapted lenses. Personally, it's one of the aspects of the Q I enjoy most so inevitably purchased adapters for all
kinds of mounts.
07-15-2018, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Get one whilst you can. Very well built adaptor and you have the range of PK lenses to justify it.

1) safeguards from rolling shutter jello in photos

2)allows longer than 2s exposures (up to and beyond 30s bulb mode for QS1.)

3) unlocks the use of the flash at faster than 1/13th second shutter

4) for K mount lenses without aperture ring you get to use the mechanical aperture ring control built into the adaptor.

5) allows for addition of a separately available tripod foot mount.
07-15-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Q family clickclick. The Q is a lot of fun. Think you will love it.

The Q is an awesome performer with the DA*60-250. With practice, you will take amazing ultra telephoto photos. True they will mostly be still photos. Tracking moving objects with the Q and a large tele lens, using manual focus, is almost impossible.

The Pentax Q to K adapter is expensive but very well made. The built in shutter allows better action stopping than using generic adapters with the electronic shutter. This can make a sharpness difference in wildlife photography. Even when an animal is still there is often movement. Darting heads, chewing etc. The Pentax oem adapter also allows higher flash sync. The DA*300 tripod foot also fits the adapter. Believe the DA*60-250 uses the same foot.

To see some adapted telephoto lens results check out "reach of the Q" thread in this forum. Also check.out the adapter lens thread.
Thanks,
barondla

07-15-2018, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I experimented first with an inexpensive adapter and then got the Pentax one. It is hard to quantize the difference, but my birding kit consists of a Sigma 70-300 lens mounted on my Q-7; since I picked the Sigma lens as being the sharpest lens I have at 300mm, allowing rolling shutter to potentially cause sharpness issues seemed like a dumb idea to me.

07-15-2018, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey clickclick,

For some of my third party adapters, internal surfaces are not black enough I had to use black paint and/or flocking material for telescopes to reduce internal reflections and scatter. Pentax one was good.

Also if you're planning to shoot nebulae or galaxies or something, you want to buy Pentax one for up to 30 sec long exposure. Unfortunately Q series bulb mode only provides 30 sec maximum so I don't use bulb and just use 30 sec shutter, but it's still a lot better than 2 sec.
07-15-2018, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have nothing to add to the above.

There are cheaper adaptors, but the Pentax version is beautifully built and has a built in leaf shutter. I think it's worth the coin.

You need excellent lenses to make it work well. The DFA100WR, DA*200 and DA*300 have given me great results.
07-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Indeed the Pentax adaptor already has some perfectly applied, dark non reflective lining material on the insides. Nothing for you to DIY in that department.
07-16-2018, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

worth every penny. It takes practice, tripod and a lot of patience but you will be happy when you get there

The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - Page 1836 - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Really appreciate all the responses. Thank you!!!

It sounds like I should let the GAS out, and I'll feel even better. I'm getting a gut feel that this is going to be one of those things I'll kick myself in the proverbial arse over if I let go by and then find it out of stock.

07-16-2018, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to find the tripod foot if you plan to use a heavy lens that doesn’t have one. It’s the one intended for the DA*300. Imagine mounting your Q-S1 to your tripod and then hanging your adapter with your Tak500/4.5 off the tiny Q mount and tripod socket of your camera (if it lacked a foot).
07-16-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

depending on the size of the lens you can have the foot attached to lens or if it's small put it on the adapter. this is my old setup. I now use a gimbal and I don't use the red dot scope