Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I have a K3II and a suite of nice lenses to go with it, including the DFA 150-450. So, am I just wasting $200 bucks to buy one of these adapters to mount one of these lenses, or is this something I must have given that I already have these lenses?
Can you get a good 450mm x 4.44 = 2000mm equivalent lens for $200 any other way?

07-16-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Can you get a good 450mm x 4.44 = 2000mm equivalent lens for $200 any other way?
A Q camera, adapter, red dot scope, and a telephoto lens are lots of fun to play with. This set up is a novelty, a toy - but it's not any good for serious photography.

I've spent hours with such a set up shooting waterfowl on the water. Used an expensive tripod and great technique. Didn't get a single image worthy of keeping. On none of the images did I get a sharp eye, or feather details - something I regularly get with a good telephoto lens on my APS-C sized cameras.

So, because of the disappointing results, I sold my K to Q adapter and put the "red dot scope" back on my Browning BPS 12-gauge shotgun.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-16-2018 at 09:22 AM.
07-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I now use a gimbal and I don't use the red dot scope
I had been thinking of a gimbal prior to the Q-S1, so perhaps this should go on the list too. What brand/model did you choose? I also shoot, so I have a red dot sight on hand I can pull off one of my other toys, but you say you don't use it anymore. Any particular feelings good/bad about that setup? Do you have a favorite rail you'd recommend for mounting the sight on the Q-S!? I'm assuming someone makes a Weaver compatible mount.
07-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
A Q camera, adapter, red dot scope, and a telephoto lens are lots of fun to play with. This set up is a novelty, a toy - but it's not any good for serious photography.

I've spent hours with such a set up shooting waterfowl on the water. Used an expensive tripod and great technique. Didn't get a single image worthy of keeping. On none of the images did I get a sharp eye, or feather details - something I regularly get with a good telephoto lens on my APS-C sized cameras.

So, because of the disappointing results, I sold my K to Q adapter and put the "red dot scope" back on my Browning BPS 12-gauge shotgun.
If you demand absolute perfection, and have the $$$$, then a "Q" will seldom satisfy you. But my entire birding kit plus my K-30 kit, cost much much less than a 560mm. My birding kit is not a toy; here is a picture of an insect that was so tiny that with naked eye I could just barely detect it - in fact, my wife didn't know what I was talking about what I asked her - but the Sigma 70-30mm mounted on my Q-7 via the a Pentax adapter I got an entirely reasonable picture, more than enough to identify it.

07-16-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your sanity input too. I may plunge down this path to check it out, satisfy some more GAS requirements, and also to have it for "the collection". Given I have the a6000 as a modern mirrorless, one could certainly argue I'm gong nowhere with the Q-S1 anyway, but the kid in me loves to play, and I've found the whole Q series very intriguing. Having expectations in line with reality is always a good thing, so if I grab this adapter (probably will), I won't expect it to outpeform my DFA 150-450 on the K3II. It strikes me like my Takumar 500. It's a neat lens, and I'm happy to have it, but the realiity is I when the Blue Angels came to town for commencement a few months ago, I grabbed the 150-450. So, I will do my best to keep my expectations in line with reality.

Last edited by clickclick; 07-16-2018 at 10:07 AM.
07-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for your sanity input too. I may plunge down this path to check it out, satisfy some more GAS requirements, and also to have it for "the collection". Given I have the a6000 as a modern mirrorless, one could certainly argue I'm gong nowhere with the Q-S1 anyway, but the kid in me loves to play, and I've found the whole Q series very intriguing. Having expectations in line with reality is always a good thing, so if I grab this adapter (probably will), I won't expect it to outpeform my DFA 150-450 on the K3II. It strikes me like my Takumar 500. It's a neat lens, and I'm happy to have it, but the realiity is I when the Blue Angels came to town for commencement a few months ago, I grabbed the 150-450. So, I will do my best to keep my expectations in line with reality.
Trying to photograph serious motion with the "Q" is probably a waste of time - manual focus is hard if the proper focus is continually changing.
07-16-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't buy the tripod foot from a US seller. They'll charge you like $90...Get it from eBay...

Camera Genuine Pentax Tripod Mount For K-Mount & Adapter Q 38100 MA 4549212218385 | eBay

Last edited by monochrome; 07-17-2018 at 09:14 AM.
07-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I have a red dot sight on hand I can pull off one of my other toys, but you say you don't use it anymore. Any particular feelings good/bad about that setup?
I don't use "red dot" either. In days of film I learned to get general composition zoomed out and then zoom in for final focus and composition. That was easier in days of parafocal lenses, but I still do it today.
07-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Don't buy the tripod foot from a US seller. They'll charge you like $90...Get it from eBay...
Thanks for the pointer. I'm hoping based on the review her at PF that the foot from my 60-250 will work.
07-16-2018, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I have one, I never use it. I bought it for use with the Q and my DA* 60-250 which is actually pretty nice set up.... and I bought the thing that attaches to the back of the Q to turn the back screen into a viewfinder, but, we just never use it.
07-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have one, I never use it. I bought it for use with the Q and my DA* 60-250 which is actually pretty nice set up.... and I bought the thing that attaches to the back of the Q to turn the back screen into a viewfinder, but, we just never use it.
I find my Hoodman clone to be essential - only with it can I see well enough to focus.
07-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you demand absolute perfection, and have the $$$$, then a "Q" will seldom satisfy you. But my entire birding kit plus my K-30 kit, cost much much less than a 560mm. My birding kit is not a toy; here is a picture of an insect that was so tiny that with naked eye I could just barely detect it - in fact, my wife didn't know what I was talking about what I asked her - but the Sigma 70-30mm mounted on my Q-7 via the a Pentax adapter I got an entirely reasonable picture, more than enough to identify it.

One photographer's "reasonable picture" is another photographers' "not good enough" image. I guess that it all comes down to one's standards of acceptability.

A friend of mine showed me a photo that she was proud of. It was an empty field with a distant black blob. Well, it turns out the indistinguishable blob was a bear. She considered it to be a reasonable photo, to me, it was not good enough.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
07-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had been thinking of a gimbal prior to the Q-S1, so perhaps this should go on the list too. What brand/model did you choose? I also shoot, so I have a red dot sight on hand I can pull off one of my other toys, but you say you don't use it anymore. Any particular feelings good/bad about that setup? Do you have a favorite rail you'd recommend for mounting the sight on the Q-S!? I'm assuming someone makes a Weaver compatible mount.
I have a Wimberley wh200 and appropriate plate but I have a 500mm lens on it..you may not need the fire power depending on what you use. I use the red dot for a while but found I could find what I was looking for without it and the birds seemed to notice it when I was using it and they flew away

07-16-2018, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the image quality with adapted telephotos on the Q is lower than that achievable with a high quality super telephoto on a larger format, but sometimes the latter option is simply not available.

Case in point: you're not allowed to take "real" cameras into Adelaide Oval. With the Q7 and 01 lens proudly hung over my shoulder and the DFA100WR and adaptor stashed discretely in a small bag I was able to get shots like this from halfway up in the grandstand.

Ashes day 3

Sure, it won't make the cover of Sports Illustrated, but you won't do much better without a press pass.
07-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

A Q camera, adapter, red dot scope, and a telephoto lens are lots of fun to play with.
Which "Q camera" and lens were you using?
This set up is a novelty, a toy - but it's not any good for serious photography.
That's what they used to say about the Leica.
No wonder the birds won't let you get close. Their facial recognition can be pretty good, you know!