Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What processing software do you use with your Pentax Q series?

I'm late to this party with a recently acquired Q7 and 01,02 & 06 lenses.

Normally I use DXO Photolab to process images from my K-1. But DXO doesn't support the Q series cameras. So I'm wondering what software you guys are using, and what you find gives the best results with the Q series cameras?

10-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the Q's shoot in DNG, Lightroom and Photoshop are a natural choice. See also these user-submitted profiles:
Pentax Q Camera DNG Profiles - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Unregistered User

Photoshop CS4

I don't use RAW much, I can't get the noise reduction I like from PS and I'm too cheap to buy more specialized software.

I don't sharpen my jpgs in camera though, I often upsize them "bicubic smoother" 200% and then sharpen in steps before final sizing.
10-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

buberfan welcome to the Q. It is a great little system camera and a lot of fun. It allows people to concentrate on creativity.

I shoot mostly Raw and process them in the Supplied SilkyPix/Pentax program. Then I save the file as tif and do minor levels adjustments and resizing for web in Photoshop Elements.

Thanks,
barondla

10-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #5

Lightroom 6 (no CC) and Nick Collection.
10-05-2018, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Forum Member

I am also a Q7 user since less than a year, and looking for editing solutions, like you buberfan. So my thoughts may not help you much but I am also keen to hear about other people's ideas. I also mainly use DxO for editing, of raw files from my K-S2. The editing I do is mainly just raw conversion and some global adjustments (rarely local editing) and DxO is perfect for this, especially its great noise reduction. So, when i bought the Q I really thought this noise reduction would be perfect for it but then found out the raw files are not supported. Not too keen on a LR subscription, but DxO does lack the management/DAM component. Then I tried Zoner but I never really got on with it (maybe its still good if I only took the time to learn how to use it properly, now I mainly use it to import and rename files from the SD cards). Then I tried Luminar, which I am still trying to learn but am quite happy with. But it is not great in stand-alone mode, probably better as a plugin. When I bought it they also promised a DAM component which still hasn't been released, so it is not a complete solution. I was also led to believe that I would be able to use DxO as a module within Luminar (like many people use DxO, or Luminar, as a LR plugin) but it does not seem to work like that in practice. I still don't know if it will once the Luminar DAM modul will eventually(?) be released. I can see the point in using the Pentax original software like barondla's suggestion but then my workflow would start to look really complicated with many different softwares for the two cameras I have and the very basic editing I do. I think Luminar, if it could handle file management and use DxO as a plugin, could work for me. Then I could have the same workflow for two cameras, and make use of the two softwares I invested most in and like best. If that will not work out, would it be possible to use some older, cheaper, stand-alone version of Lightroom for this (using it for managing the files and as a shell for the DxO and Luminar plugins)? And then of course, the workflow is further mixed up by editing on the mobile...

2018-10-02-092232_IMGP6404-Q7-lm
Q7+01, edited in Luminar
10-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm new to the Q party as well with a Q-S1 I snagged a few months ago. I'm shooting RAW+ and using the stand alone Lightroom 6.14 and Topaz Studio with some of their plugins - primarily DeNoise and Clarity. I find I do much better on noise reduction to take the RAW and use either Lr or Topaz DeNoise. I think the OOC jpegs don't do too well on noise over about ISO 400, but the RAW files process well and give much better results.

10-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm new to the Q party as well with a Q-S1 I snagged a few months ago. I'm shooting RAW+ and using the stand alone Lightroom 6.14 and Topaz Studio with some of their plugins - primarily DeNoise and Clarity. I find I do much better on noise reduction to take the RAW and use either Lr or Topaz DeNoise. I think the OOC jpegs don't do too well on noise over about ISO 400, but the RAW files process well and give much better results.
Same for me. LR + Denoise and Clarity do wonder with the Q7 file.

Now, for the OP, if the DXO lab doesn't support the RAW file, you could still use another software compatible with it (PDCU, Rawtherapee...), save the file in TIF 16-bits and work with it in DXO Lab. OK, it's not exactly like working directly on the RAW but probably is the nearest thing.
10-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Same for me. LR + Denoise and Clarity do wonder with the Q7 file.

Now, for the OP, if the DXO lab doesn't support the RAW file, you could still use another software compatible with it (PDCU, Rawtherapee...), save the file in TIF 16-bits and work with it in DXO Lab. OK, it's not exactly like working directly on the RAW but probably is the nearest thing.
The prime noise reduction in DXO is only available on RAW as far as I know.
10-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use snapseed, it works fine with raw files,it doesn’t do anything fancy, but I pre-visualise before I press the shutter and don’t have to process the hell out of my shots to get the desired outcome. Plus, it’s FREE, my favourite price!
10-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I haven't found noise to be bothersome on my Q-7 {I also don't pixel peek}. If I do any basic editing {change levels, tilt, crop} I use gimp on JPEG created by the camera.

The photo below is a 100% crop of singing group "Straight No Chaser" taken @ 3200 ISO. To my eye, color depth is a bigger issue than noise is {look at foreheads}.

Last edited by reh321; 10-06-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add SNC photo
10-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom 5 that's what I have and use
10-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I have a Q7 and a K-3, both of which I shoot in DNG. I use Photoshop Elements and Topaz Denoise. I try to keep the Q to ISO 400 or lower. I think I have the auto-ISO range capped at 800 on the Q (compared to 3200 on the K-3, and sometimes I go up to 6400). I pretty much only use the Q outdoors, inside I use the K-3.
10-06-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #14
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the party, buberfan!

I use Lightroom CC, sometimes in combination with Photoshop CC and Nik Collection. I used to use Silkypix (bundled with Q7) and RawTherapee, but I decided that the user interface of Lightroom is much easier for me. Also, when I want to apply sharpening only to the areas with a lot of details it's easy to do so in Lightroom, but I don't think it's possible to make any selective adjustment in bundled version of Silkypix, and I couldn't find how to do that in RawTherapee.

One small thing to note is that there are differences in how raw softwares handle the images that were automatically cropped by the camera. In the case of Q series this is only relevant to Q7 and Q-S1 in combination with 03 fisheye. Read the following post by Cipher and responses that follow if interested:
The MaQro Qlub! - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
10-07-2018, 01:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all your helpful replies. I have some resistance to using Lightroom as I don't like the subscription model. I'll give Snapseed a try along with RawTherapee for now and let you know how I go.