Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I haven't found noise to be bothersome on my Q-7 {I also don't pixel peek}. If I do any basic editing {change levels, tilt, crop} I use gimp on JPEG created by the camera.

The photo below is a 100% crop of singing group "Straight No Chaser" taken @ 3200 ISO. To my eye, color depth is a bigger issue than noise is {look at foreheads}.
That is a clipping issue rather than colour depth. If you take a measure of that horrid pink it is RGB 255 for the R and around 100 for the G and B. So the red channel is flooded.
And to get back on subject I use Darktable and sometimes Rawtherapee for raw development and Gimp to tidy up.

10-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Buberfan (and others who use DxO),
just out of curiousity, what happens when you try to open DNG files shot by Q series cameras in DxO PhotoLab? Can you at least open the files, or not at all?
10-09-2018, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Hi Buberfan (and others who use DxO),
just out of curiousity, what happens when you try to open DNG files shot by Q series cameras in DxO PhotoLab? Can you at least open the files, or not at all?
It doesn't open.

A message comes up: "This image cannot be processed since it is taken by a camera that is not supported by this version of DxO Photolab" (I have the latest version).
10-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #19
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, that's unfortunate but useful to know, thank you buberfan!

11-07-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by buberfan Quote
I'm late to this party with a recently acquired Q7 and 01,02 & 06 lenses.

Normally I use DXO Photolab to process images from my K-1. But DXO doesn't support the Q series cameras. So I'm wondering what software you guys are using, and what you find gives the best results with the Q series cameras?
Hi Buberfan,
Same problem here.
I'm learning Darktable. It's a powerfull tool. Not easy.

Only for the DNGs of the Q7...

I shoot JPEG+RAW : I use mainly the JPEGs but sometime I need the raw to rescue the picture.

I'm angry against you, DXO, and for this reason, as long as I'll use the Q7, I won't upgrade.
Understand me : I don't care if you don't create a Q7 profile because there is not enough users.
But why can't I open the DNG as if it was, say, a K5 !?
With all the disclosure you want. My challenge, not yours.
Well...Darktable.
For JPEGs basic editing in Picasa (love it), and when I need it, Nik software, ICE, some others specialized tools.