Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's the best wifi SD card for use with the Q7?

Ordered me a Q7, and I'd really like to have wifi transfer of all my photos to my iPhone. What's out there? Must be a fast card, I take a lot of RAW photos!

Bonus points if it works in a Pentax K-01, K-30, or an original Q....

Double bonus points if any of these cameras can manipulate the card settings via menus in the camera.

Charles.

10-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was the fastest wi-fi SD card that I could find:
Toshiba FlashAir 4th Generation SD Wifi SDHC / SDXC memory card - 16GB (OEM Pack): Industrial & Scientific

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Bonus points if it works in a Pentax K-01, K-30, or an original Q....
Any card that works with the Q7 would also work with other cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Double bonus points if any of these cameras can manipulate the card settings via menus in the camera.

There are no cards can do this (except for the Pentax O-FC1 when paired with the K-3, K-3 II, K-S1, or 645Z).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, now that I have a Q7 in front of me, there is a menu setting to turn on and off an Eye-Fi card. So it looks like an Eye-Fi is what I'll be getting.

Charles.
12-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

How are you liking the WiFi card with the Q?

Edit: googling around it seems the Eye-Fi company has gone out of business some time ago. Is there a killer feature that still makes it better to buy an old stock eye-fi vs a new Toshiba Wi-fi SD card that is widely available today?

Last edited by 2old4toys; 12-02-2018 at 04:22 AM.
12-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

Toshiba actually bought the Eye-Fi company, that's why the only wifi enabled SD cards available at the moment are Toshiba. However the reviews are pretty mediocre to bad.
12-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #6

I had an Eye-Fi card awhile back that ended up getting discontinued before the company went bankrupt. It never worked all that well IMO. I also have the W4 Toshiba card and find that that one actually works a little better. You don't need the on/off function with the Toshiba as it can be set to turn off after x amount of time after the camera turns on. That saves battery power. You can also browse the pictures a little easier with the Toshiba card. Most annoying thing about it is I haven't found a way to select multiple files for download when browsing with a computer. Neither are as nice as a camera with built in Wifi but are better than nothing if you want that functionality. I use the W4 in an original x100.

Shawn
02-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have along neglected eye-fi X2 connect card that I wanted to resurrect just now. Trouble is, it needs online services to “register” it again (at some point I must have done a clean format of the card on my PC). Those online services are now defunct, so I’m pretty much stuffed getting any of the WiFi functionality back. The eye-fi setup rigmarole was never fun when it was new. My advice is to steer clear of buying any new-old stock of eye-fi.

Still works as an plain SD card though...