Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #1

Why are the Q's so expensive??

They've been out of production for a long time, haven't they? Never were too popular as I understand it.
Looking for Q7 or Q-S1 just for fun but the pricing on eBay, Amazon and the like, it's practically like the prices have never gone done, heck they seem to be even more expensive than the launch price.

Who's snapping these up at these prices?? Have they become a coveted cult classic somewhere and nobody's told me about it?

10-16-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are good cameras. The Q and Q10 bodies are often available here is Australia for about $100. The Q7 is a bit higher and the Q-S1 prices can be a bit ridiculous (I don't know why that is). The Q system was always more popular in Japan but many of us who came to the Q later (as I did) found them to be a great option as an interchangeable lens system which is light and takes up little space. They are also fun to adapt old c-mount and d-mount lenses for.
10-16-2018, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think the Qs (no apostrophe in plurals) are any more expensive than other fast-aperture compact cameras, which don't even have changeable lenses. Used Panasonic LX cameras or the Pentax MX-1, for example, also go for quite high prices.
10-16-2018, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
Looking for Q7 or Q-S1 just for fun but the pricing on eBay, Amazon and the like, it's practically like the prices have never gone done, heck they seem to be even more expensive than the launch price.
This is pretty typical for remaining stock of discontinued products which are in low supply and low demand. Eventually someone will really want one and snatch it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2018, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I paid lots of money for my original Q $600 plus, and have slowly been obtaining the 10 7 and S1. A unique little camera with lots of versatility for my style of photography. Adaptable with Pentax brand adapters with lenses from the K 645 and 67 lines and 3rd party adapters for many other lenses. Pop in to the Q forum and see what can be done with it and then see if it is good value rather than high priced.
10-16-2018, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Originally I hated the concept of the Q, but I came to appreciate it. I was waiting for sensor and image quality to improve to really get into them. Sad its not ever going to happen. Glad I bought the original (I have a white one still in the box) and have two others.
10-17-2018, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q series cameras and lenses did come down in price quite a bit for some time... I can't remember what I paid for my Q7 and two lens kit, but it was one heck of a deal. Since then, though, the number of cameras available has reduced significantly and prices have risen. Supply and demand, I guess

10-17-2018, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 3 and won't give them up...great little camera and perfect for adaptive lens..probably expensive because everyone is keeping theirs
10-17-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not a lot of people want a Q but those who do really, really want one! Since supply is low the prices will go up. The Q continues to be a very polarizing camera system which is a positive testament to its design in my book!
10-17-2018, 08:18 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Unregistered User

Prices for the various Q's bottomed out about 3 years ago. KEH usually has a selection of them for pretty good prices.

They have some unique attributes that contribute to their (limited) popularity:

1. Leaf shutter lenses with built-in ND filters (01, 02, 06, 08) with 1/2000 flash sync
2. Easy to adapt almost any lens ever made, including C and D mounts with full frame coverage
3. Image stabilization for almost any lens ever made
4. Telephoto capability that is long and fast and compact and has greater depth of field at any given field of view compared to FF
5. Macro capability that is very compact and has greater depth of field at any given field of view compared to FF
6. Fish-eye lens (03) that is about the size of a spool of thread (and weighs about as much) that focuses to 1 inch
7. True ultra wide zoom (08)
8. Non-intimidating form factor
9. Can be worn on a wrist strap effortlessly
10. Full featured menu is consistent with other Pentax products
11. Leaf shutter adapter for modern Pentax lenses
12. BSI sensor capable of producing quality images

The only other comparable compact ICL camera system is the discontinued Nikon 1
which had limitations in most of the areas listed above and was much more expensive.

Various point and shoots have some of these features that may even out-perform the Q in some areas,
but not all of those features in one package.

Some M4/3 bodies are as small but their comparable lenses are bigger,
generally slower and more expensive; the faster M4/3 lenses are much more expensive.

It isn't the camera for everyone, and it is not for photographers who must have an EVF,
but it is a useful and versatile tool.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 05-05-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
10-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think the Q series, excepting the S1, is now inexpensively priced. It should be possible to buy a Q and all the lenses for under $1000. How many other systems can duplicate that? The Q system is a great buy.
Thanks,
barondla
10-17-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
They have some unique attributes that contribute to their (limited) popularity:

1. Leaf shutter lenses with built-in ND filters (01, 02, 06, 08) with 1/2000 flash sync
2. Easy to adapt almost any lens ever made, including C and D mounts with full frame coverage
3. Image stabilization for almost any lens ever made
4. Telephoto capability that is long and fast and compact and has greater depth of field at any given field of view compared to FF
5. Macro capability that is very compact and has greater depth of field at any given field of view compared to FF
6. Fish-eye lens (03) that is about the size of a spool of thread (and weighs about as much) that focuses to 1 inch
7. True ultra wide (08)
8. Non-intimidating form factor
9. Can be worn on a wrist strap effortlessly
10. Full featured menu is consistent with other Pentax products
11. Leaf shutter adapter for modern Pentax lenses
12. BSI sensor capable of producing quality images
This list convinced me not to sell my original Q, even though I haven't used it in years.
10-17-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
This list convinced me not to sell my original Q, even though I haven't used it in years.
Not because of the list, but we have several times thought of selling our Q system, but the once or twice year we use it are unique, and we would need a replacement.
10-17-2018, 10:01 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not because of the list, but we have several times thought of selling our Q system, but the once or twice year we use it are unique, and we would need a replacement.
There's a fair chunk of my equipment that I would give up before I'd let my Q, Q7, 01, 02 and 06 lenses go.
10-17-2018, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thnk the key is not to rush. I created a saved search on eBay set to email me daily on new listings. My little Q-S1 finally appeard at the right price this past summer (about $175 with the 02 zoom, original box - mint condition). I probably had started watching last fall, so it took awhile, but I'm finding it a very enjoyable little camera, and little is part of the joy - makes it really easy to have a camera with you almost anywhere. I can even fit into the pockets on some baggy cargo type shorts. That's turned out to be great for places you want a camera but you don't want to hassle with dragging around a camera. Q-S1 with 02 in one pocket and the 06 zoom in another. Great grab and go combo.