Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 07:31 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fujifilm exec asked about a Pentax Q size camera

Part of DPReview's Photokina interview.

DPReview: "Do you think that there could be a future for small format interchangeable lens cameras like the Pentax Q, now?"

Fujifilm: "With that product, the sensor size was too small. The image quality was not strong enough to really compete against smartphones. We need a decent sensor size and high quality lens. So again the question is how to balance size, weight and quality.

Camera bodies can be small regardless of sensor size. The big difference is the lens. The size of the lens [is directly related to] sensor format."

Fascinating that DPR asked fujifilm about the Pentax Q. The answer is one we've heard before. Lenses are the stumbling block to making small cameras with larger sensors.

Surprised the interviewer moved from medium format, FF, and APS-c to ask about a Q sized camera. The rest of the interview is on the DPR site. It is an informative interview, because the executive actually answers questions, as opposed to the typical "we're looking into that" response.

Thanks,
barondla

10-24-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I was surprised to see the Q mentioned also. There was also a picture of one of the colour Q's.
10-24-2018, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Surprised the interviewer moved from medium format, FF, and APS-c to ask about a Q sized camera.
Fuji has avoided FF and M4/3 sensors, but did have a successful series of "bridge" cameras using Q-sized sensors. I think the interviewer might have been trying to suss out if Fuji was working on a small-sensored Fuji ICL camera, in line with Fuji's habit of every-other format size. I think Fuji is going to stick with its current approach, it must be costing them a bundle to introduce an MF system, I can't see them introducing another lens mount/system.

A Q-sized system with high quality lenses would be as expensive as APS-C, you couldn't sell it to a bigger-is-better consumer market, as exemplified by the failure of the Nikon 1.
10-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Fuji has avoided FF and M4/3 sensors, but did have a successful series of "bridge" cameras using Q-sized sensors. I think the interviewer might have been trying to suss out if Fuji was working on a small-sensored Fuji ICL camera, in line with Fuji's habit of every-other format size. I think Fuji is going to stick with its current approach, it must be costing them a bundle to introduce an MF system, I can't see them introducing another lens mount/system.

A Q-sized system with high quality lenses would be as expensive as APS-C, you couldn't sell it to a bigger-is-better consumer market, as exemplified by the failure of the Nikon 1.
There is a Sony with 1" sensor that sells well. No interchangeable lenses though. Think the Nikon 1 also had other drawbacks. Kiddie like, feature set and goofy controls are mentioned a lot. Agree that Fujifilm probably has enough to handle without adding another system to produce.

Thanks,
barondla