Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
]
the pumps they’re wearing are salty AF, but they don’t necessarily scream 2013 to me–.
I even think I can hear Katy Perry's 'Roar' in the background, PR!

11-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

IIRC the MX-1 has the same sensor as the Q7 - it can also achieve excellent results. Going back in time, even my 2Mp EI-2000 produces much better images than you'd expect (especially at ISO 25).
11-08-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're not being a weirdo. Overly optimistic and hopeful, perhaps

Given the very limited market of the Q-series outside of Japan (and however much I might personally like the Q7) I just don't think a higher-resolution Q is on the cards. We haven't even seen the macro lens that was previously rumoured, so I very much doubt a new Q is coming.

The company has far greater profit potential from the FF and APS-C lines. The GR line, too, has been much more widely accepted than the Q ever was, hence its continuation.

I applaud your dream, but I'm afraid I think your hopes are in vain
the logical profit maximization would be a similar launch path to the one i’ve outlined above, no?

consumer/enthusiast (griii/q__compact)—>pro-sumer/enthusiast (k__aps-c)—>budget conscious professional (full frame mirrorless)

when the aps-c camera comes we would all buy it, or we will have at least all bought the new toy amidst their compact offerings by then...

optimism notwithstanding, if i was in charge in asahi, the last $30M in the bank would go to development of the pentax k1000 anniversary edition full frame mirrorless camera. it encourages affordable recycling (which would spin well in 2018)—i think the full frame mirrorless manufacturers have ignored the budget-minded consumer on the lens front. pentax used to be the affordable option with IQ—they still list their legacy lenses as officially supported.

if pentax ignores full frame mirrorless development they are sunk. it’s pretty simple—it has to say pentax on the front, preferably it should look like the old stuff instead of trying to find itself on the cover of ‘azure’ magazine; oh and it better have 10bit internal 24p video on a BSI sensor. if the engineers can manage do that very simple, very 2018 in 2019 stuff, the fuji users on this forum will be trying desperately to forget the year they lost their minds and bought into the fuji line...

---------- Post added 11-08-18 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Good memory, or good sleuthing!

The show is certainly CP+ 2013. It's odd that the Youtube clip was posted recently.

CP+ 2013 in Photos - CP+ 2013 | PentaxForums.com
drat! hopes dashed once again.

---------- Post added 11-08-18 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I even think I can hear Katy Perry's 'Roar' in the background, PR!
the heels are probably almost back in style, but today they’d be rocking a purple huawei mate 20 instead of a q7...
11-08-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
drat! hopes dashed once again.
Hopes are always a good thing in the camera world!

the heels are probably almost back in style, but today they’d be rocking a purple huawei mate 20 instead of a q7...
Hehe. Well, the Huewei might look out of place at a Ricoh booth!

By the way, welcome to Pentax Forums! There are plenty of discussions on the future direction of the Pentax line.

- Craig

11-08-2018, 07:21 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Banned

Original Poster
Hopes are always a good thing in the camera world!

Hehe. Well, the Huewei might look out of place at a Ricoh booth!

By the way, welcome to Pentax Forums! There are plenty of discussions on the future direction of the Pentax line.

- Craig
thanks for the welcome craig—i’m a pentaxian for sure, second generation! (my late father-figure shot pentax in belfast during the troubles)

promise i’m not a troll; although my character could be easily misconstrued as such after this first disastrously optimistic thread of mine...
11-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, there is a lot of Grrl Power going on there.
11-08-2018, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, there is a lot of Grrl Power going on there.
frankly i am sick and tired of models at camera events—does that sort of objectification even sell cameras? if nothing else, it’s terrible optics for photographers, everyone leering as they walk by...

the worst: for the a7iii the sony turned the sprinklers on them (and gave jared “i-am-desperately-clinging-to-my-waning-masculinity” polin full-license to harangue the shivering models with his attempts at rudimentary photography)—like how can we make a camera launch more awkward? how about a frustratingly pretend bartender AND some uncomfortably cold models?

11-08-2018, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

frankly i am sick and tired of models at camera events—does that sort of objectification even sell cameras? if nothing else, it’s terrible optics for photographers, everyone leering as they walk by...

the worst: for the a7iii the sony turned the sprinklers on them (and gave jared “i-am-desperately-clinging-to-my-waning-masculinity” polin full-license to harangue the shivering models with his attempts at rudimentary photography)—like how can we make a camera launch more awkward? how about a frustratingly pretend bartender AND some uncomfortably cold models?

Yeah, Sony already had Jason Lanier as their go-to 'demean and condescend' models man!
11-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #24

Good memory, or good sleuthing!

The show is certainly CP+ 2013. It's odd that the clip was posted on YouTube only recently.

CP+ 2013 in Photos - CP+ 2013 | PentaxForums.com
All the clips on the "channel" / user account were uploaded the same day. Looks like a new account. Either their old one got closed or they just decided to start uploading and sharing stuff now.
11-09-2018, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its always easy to think that one is better than the camera, just by looking at its specs.....

All with the Q7

Typical. Some of the loveliest photos I have seen here, and taken with a camera most would dismiss as a toy.
11-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
All the clips on the "channel" / user account were uploaded the same day. Looks like a new account. Either their old one got closed or they just decided to start uploading and sharing stuff now.
it’s probably a zenit bot account—desperately trying to promote the only way they know how...

---------- Post added 11-09-18 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Typical. Some of the loveliest photos I have seen here, and taken with a camera most would dismiss as a toy.
can’t wait until the bottom falls out on ebay; i will be buying one to replace my pentax auto-110...
11-09-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

I too would have loved to see a fully develop Q series camera but when cell phones are sporting their own 1/2.55” sensors (and two -or three- of them at that) then there is truly no hope that the Q will come back.

I’ve been casually shopping around for a new phone to replace my iPhone 6s. Some of those new android phones with multiple cameras are truly impressive. With the right app you can even get DNG files out of your camera. I can understand how the cell phone market decimated the “P&S” sized camera segment.

Let enjoy the Q for what it was in a historical context and as a still valid creative tool.
11-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can’t wait until the bottom falls out on ebay; i will be buying one to replace my pentax auto-110...
I'm not sure that will ever happen. Prices seem to be going up as it becomes rarer - and that may continue.
11-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I too would have loved to see a fully develop Q series camera but when cell phones are sporting their own 1/2.55” sensors (and two -or three- of them at that) then there is truly no hope that the Q will come back.

I’ve been casually shopping around for a new phone to replace my iPhone 6s. Some of those new android phones with multiple cameras are truly impressive. With the right app you can even get DNG files out of your camera. I can understand how the cell phone market decimated the “P&S” sized camera segment.

Let enjoy the Q for what it was in a historical context and as a still valid creative tool.
been looking at the huawei for two generations—now that they have upped the sensor size the real race begins... others will follow their lead.

in the coming year or two (cellphone design cycles move in fast-forward), i fully anticipate that there will be a return to single camera designs with bigger sensors; probably sporting even more respectable lenses. these modern pseudo-tlr’s are going to be collectors items every twenty years for five minutes, much like the old brownies... hahaha.

in twenty years we will have a full frame on the back of the flagship phones...
11-09-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its always easy to think that one is better than the camera, just by looking at its specs.....

All with the Q7

Really wonderful pics, fully confirming that I may have probably bought too much camera with my DSLR! I have a Q as well, and am enjoying the freedom for creativity and spontaneity it affords me.