Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
Banned

this was posted on youtube today... new camera?

so i came across this video today by searching for “pentax” by upload date... could it be a new camera?

what do you think, pentax forums? was there a cocktail party we weren’t invited to? is it just another q that doesn’t qualify as a pro-sumer mirrorless? discuss.

11-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a new camera, no... That's the Q7 they're using. Still current in Japan, if not in the rest of the world...
11-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not a new camera, no... That's the Q7 they're using. Still current in Japan, if not in the rest of the world...
incredulous as i might be at the suggestion that a 13.5 megapixel compact camera is current in 2018, i would agree with you... except before i posted it i checked—they no longer offer the pentax-q in a plethora of colors—that and even fuji wouldn’t actively promote something that old.
11-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
incredulous as i might be at the suggestion that a 13.5 megapixel compact camera is current in 2018, i would agree with you... except before i posted it i checked—they no longer offer the pentax-q in a plethora of colors—that and even fuji wouldn’t actively promote something that old.
*12 megapixel (quietly sobbing)

11-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

12.4 megapixel, actually Not that there's anything wrong with that. People laugh at that such resolution these days, but at reasonable reproduction sizes, the Q7 can outperform many higher resolution, small sensor cameras. Let them laugh, I say

Just because the Q7 may not be sold in those colours any more, doesn't mean they're not available to the company for promotional purposes. In any case, those are Q7s, and clearly indentifiable as such from the body shape. I may dream, but as an owner of the Q and Q7, I recognise the shape of the latter
11-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw that KEH had a few for sale and I thought that they were pretty cool looking, especially the pop up flash design. I suspect that the flash pop up is one of those things where your mileage may vary in how cool you think it is.
11-08-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Saw that KEH had a few for sale and I thought that they were pretty cool looking, especially the pop up flash design. I suspect that the flash pop up is one of those things where your mileage may vary in how cool you think it is.
I never use the flash on mine, pop-up or otherwise... But I've tried it and it works well enough. I do, however, use my Q7 for product photography with a radio trigger and a couple of external manual flash units. Works extremely well

11-08-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
so i came across this video today by searching for “pentax” by upload date... could it be a new camera?
Poor upload speeds if some footage from 2013's taken until today to upload … maybe a Verizon customer?
11-08-2018, 06:06 PM - 13 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its always easy to think that one is better than the camera, just by looking at its specs.....

All with the Q7

11-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
12.4 megapixel, actually Not that there's anything wrong with that. People laugh at that such resolution these days, but at reasonable reproduction sizes, the Q7 can outperform many higher resolution, small sensor cameras. Let them laugh, I say

Just because the Q7 may not be sold in those colours any more, doesn't mean they're not available to the company for promotional purposes. In any case, those are Q7s, and clearly indentifiable as such from the body shape. I may dream, but as an owner of the Q and Q7, I recognise the shape of the latter
not to be a weirdo, but i politely suggest the susinct possibility that they might have a new camera (with a higher megapixel count than a cellphone) sharing the form-factor of the q7 on the horizon? it might make sense to launch the gr3 (i’ve witnessed the mass selloff of the gr2 on kijiji in the past month since cologne), followed by the q___, then the new k___ aps-c to go with that new “flagship” 35mm...

then the beast k1000 mirrorless we all want for the anniversary... with a 50mm 1.4... hahaha... (quiet sobbing continues)

---------- Post added 11-08-18 at 07:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Poor upload speeds if some footage from 2013's taken until today to upload … maybe a Verizon customer?
the pumps they’re wearing are salty AF, but they don’t necessarily scream 2013 to me–that said, i cannot comment on the launch date of the extreme telephoto lenses those dudes in the background are mulling over... not up on my kanji anymore, but the only discernible writing on the wall is japanese imho.
11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

not to be a weirdo, but i politely suggest the susinct possibility that they might have a new camera (with a higher megapixel count than a cellphone) sharing the form-factor of the q7 on the horizon? it might make sense to launch the gr3 (i’ve witnessed the mass selloff of the gr2 on kijiji in the past month since cologne), followed by the q___, then the new k___ aps-c to go with that new “flagship” 35mm...

then the beast k1000 mirrorless we all want for the anniversary... with a 50mm 1.4... hahaha... (quiet sobbing continues)
You're not being a weirdo. Overly optimistic and hopeful, perhaps

Given the very limited market of the Q-series outside of Japan (and however much I might personally like the Q7) I just don't think a higher-resolution Q is on the cards. We haven't even seen the macro lens that was previously rumoured, so I very much doubt a new Q is coming.

The company has far greater profit potential from the FF and APS-C lines. The GR line, too, has been much more widely accepted than the Q ever was, hence its continuation.

I applaud your dream, but I'm afraid I think your hopes are in vain
11-08-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

then the beast k1000 mirrorless we all want for the anniversary... with a 50mm 1.2... hahaha... (quiet sobbing continues)

---------- Post added 11-08-18 at 07:20 PM ----------

the pumps they’re wearing are salty AF, but they don’t necessarily scream 2013 to me–that said, i cannot comment on the launch date of the extreme telephoto lenses those dudes in the background are mulling over... not up on my kanji anymore, but the only discernible writing on the wall is japanese imho.

I like how you think!
11-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its always easy to think that one is better than the camera, just by looking at its specs.....
Before I was willing to go digital, I did some experimenting which convinced me that 6mp would give me as much detail as I was getting with projected Kodachrome slides, so my Q-7 is giving me a perfectly adequate level of detail displayed on my computer screen. I believe people have become addicted to needle-sharp images. I am totally satisfied with the 12mp my Q-7 gives me and the 16mp my K-30 gives me .... sometimes I even crop down to dimensions even smaller than that and I still remain totally satisfied.
11-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I never use the flash on mine, pop-up or otherwise... But I've tried it and it works well enough. I do, however, use my Q7 for product photography with a radio trigger and a couple of external manual flash units. Works extremely well
Most of the time I use my Q-7 it is for situations where the noise of my K-30 would be objectionable ... as would flash - so I'm taking photos at speeds like 1/20, which gives me good photos because of the IBIS.
11-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
some footage from 2013
Good memory, or good sleuthing!

The show is certainly CP+ 2013. It's odd that the clip was posted on YouTube only recently.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2013/cp-2013-in-photos.html

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-08-2018 at 07:05 PM.